Get the Gtx 780 Ti or wait for Gtx 980 ?

BLCT

Hello world, i am looking for an upgrade for my graphics card. I am gaming at 1440p. My gtx 780 isn't cutting to the case, I tend to see my fps dip below 30 fps alot. I am thinking about either getting the 780 Ti or either wait for the gtx 980. I am just looking for PURE performance at games. I don't really care about the extra 1gig of vram. I just care more about the performance the card that will last me for future generation at 1440p. What's do you guys think i should wait on getting ? If this helps, Im planning on upgrading to the X99 platform. The 5820k seems really really interesting :P 

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

it'd be silly not to wait at this point honestly... at least till you see the benchmarks/price

Wait of course, you win both ways cos the previous series should go down in price or you could benefit from the newer generation GPUs

They both don't provide that drastic of an increase.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

At this point since new cards are so close to release, it's best to hold off until benchmarks are released.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

At this point since new cards are so close to release, it's best to hold off until benchmarks are released.

Does anyone know when it at least launches ?

Does anyone know when it at least launches ?

Rumour has it Nivida will be announcing them at Game24 which is September 18th. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Been hearing that the Gtx 980 uses alot more power ? think i'll be fine with a 850w psu ? 

Been hearing that the Gtx 980 uses alot more power ? think i'll be fine with a 850w psu ? 

I read somewhere that it will consume 180W?

I read somewhere that it will consume 180W?

oh what the hell. The 780 ti uses like what ? 250w ?

oh what the hell. The 780 ti uses like what ? 250w ?

Yeah 250w; don't quote me on that 180w tdp, but I seem to recall that number for some reason.

Are you going to sell your 780 to fund your upgrade?

If so then I'd wait for bench marks on the 980.

If not I'd look into a second 780.

Are you going to sell your 780 to fund your upgrade?

If so then I'd wait for bench marks on the 980.

If not I'd look into a second 780.

Naah, lool planning on putting it on my media PC, replacing my 680. Trying to avoid going sli, not a big fan lool :P

850W will be more than plenty for any single-GPU card unless something VERY dramatic happens.

How come that nobody suggested SLI? The rumors say that the 980 is as good as the 780 Ti but consumes less power. So all you would get is less power consumption and maybe a better overclock.

Your 780 hovers 10% below those two, so neither of them will benefit you much. If you just care about raw performance, SLI your 780. End of story.

who cares...

Naah, lool planning on putting it on my media PC, replacing my 680. Trying to avoid going sli, not a big fan lool :P

What don't you like about SLI? 2-way SLI has pretty good scaling, you see almost double the performance of one card in most games. I have 2 780ti's in SLI running 4k. A single 780ti will not keep you above 60fps in 1440p at ultra settings in all games. I have a 850w psu and it works just fine with both cards at full load. 

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Depends. 780 Ti won't offer that much of a difference and the 980 is RUMORED to be slower than the 780 Ti. I would wait a couple more days since it is RUMORED that Nvidia will release the 980. I would wait and see if the 780 Ti drops in price. If the 980 is released, I would be on the look out for performance charts on both cards.

If they don't release a new card, I suggest you sell the 780 and buy a 780 Ti.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Yep, do what everyone here is saying, wait a short period and then make your own decision with the facts (not rumors) presented to you :)