Apple announces record 4 million preorders for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in first 24 hours

I find that many people in this type of forum get so used to evaluating desktop components primarily on price vs performance that they just end up doing the same thing with all other types on computing devices.

Too true, and said people forget that price to performance is not the ONLY way to buy things, even on desktops. 

I find that many people in this type of forum get so used to evaluating desktop components primarily on price vs performance that they just end up doing the same thing with all other types on computing devices.

putting extreme emphasis on specs is part of the PC Master Race Culture, you find lots of that on these forums.

Too true, and said people forget that price to performance is not the ONLY way to buy things, even on desktops. 

I agree, I think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and generally the people that learn their computer information by visiting a forum are the people most likely to spout about specs and forget about the rest of the whole thing

People on this forum also seem to forget some people are willing to spend more money on products, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As a nexus user, I'm really tempted to dive into Apple's ecosystem and see what they're like. Especially with the larger screen although I suspect it will be a while until app developers can really use the screen real estate.

720P on a 4.7" is a disappointment though, I'd have opted for a slightly ticker iPhone with 1080P screen and larger battery.

On the other hand, we have the new moto X which is so awesome i jizz my pants thinking of it everytime.

Maybe when Lithium batteries stop exploding... Graphene supercapacitors are the only solution.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I have to hear the thought process that led to you thinking you contributed at all to the conversation.

People liked the new phones and bought them. 

I don't like wasting my money on crap.

"Industrial design does cost money" - Linus in WAN show

rMBP is much more good looking and helluva lot thinner than the ROG you linked above. Its also only FHD. Also things like battery life, weight, PCIe based SSDs, materials used are all much superior on the rMBP when compared to your ROG

Plus apple has a lot more expense like supporting OS X and their productivity and content creating apps. All these reasons are enough to justify their pricing. Compare something similar like razer blade 14 to it and you wont find Macs overpriced

Could not have said it better myself

People seem to only consider performance when looking at products. 

Take 2  Made up laptops, they both have the same CPU, GPU, Screen resolution etc etc etc, both at 15"... one is £1000 and weighs 2kg, the other is half as thick, and weighs only 1kg, but is £1500...., is that laptop overpriced? or is £500 worth it, to carry half as much weight, personally you CAN put a price on these kinds of things

Having a metal body, or having a PCI SSD, having thunderbolt, having a better GPU, having a better screen resolution, blah blah etc etc are worth money to some people, if you are happy to carry a thick plastic 17" laptop around for the ultimate power, AWESOME you will pay less money and have better performance, but for ME I cannot sacrifice the weight and battery life... if that costs me half as much again, or even twice as much , I will happily pay that price

This is the premium market, and how it works. They charge more because their machine fills a niche not available through other products, like my M18x, it was expensive but it has dual gpus and an 18.4" screen.... nothing else has that option..was it expensive..  YES, but since there was no other alternative, that was the price to pay, to have those specific features

I agree, I think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and generally the people that learn their computer information by visiting a forum are the people most likely to spout about specs and forget about the rest of the whole thing

People on this forum also seem to forget some people are willing to spend more money on products, 

Interesting comments considering this was what I was replying to: "

here.. 15" macbook pro, 2800x1800 display, 8gb ram, i7 quad core, nvidia 750m+iris pro, full aluminium chassis, 2k weight, thunderbolt, SD card, USB 3,  9 hours battery life .

If you can find a laptop with those specs for less money I would be quite impressed"

So when I showed you this laptop, I was too focused on performance?

Im aware that design costs money, but It isn't worth a 1000 bucks per unit for sure. But I see that there is no way to go here. all criticism of apple, no matter how politely made nor how many links or arguments is presented will be meet with scorn and underhanded insults like "I agree, I think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and generally the people that learn their computer information by visiting a forum are the people most likely to spout about specs and forget about the rest of the whole thing" so its rather pointless to even discuss anything apple related anymore.

That is not a comparable laptop at all!, I said a comparible laptop giving me the features that the macbook pro has

That asus is better at gaming with its slightly better GPU, but its fat, heavy, plastic build quality, worse screen, and worse battery life Sure its $1000 cheaper but those are the sacrifices you make to save money

Asus VS Apple

4.5kg vs 2.02kb

2" thick vs 0.71" thick

Plastic vs full metal contruction

17" 1080p vs 15" 2800x1800

mechanical drive vs PCI-E 900mbs SSD

3.5 hours vs 9 hours

I did not say that there is nothing better than the macbook, I said nothing else offers what the macbook offers for less money

Maybe something like the 15" GS60 Ghost, but its not THAT much cheaper

Yes, it is. I said that I just picked the first I found on Newegg, but it very clearly shows that its very very possible to find something that is a lot cheaper and can be better. You also didn't mention any of the parts where the asus one is better. Better GPU and ram...But it doesn't matter because you will always say that there is one thing that isn't how you prefer....If the MacBook Pro would cost double what it does, then you would just claim that you can't put a prize on design.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Im aware that design costs money, but It isn't worth a 1000 bucks per unit for sure. But I see that there is no way to go here. all criticism of apple, no matter how politely made nor how many links or arguments is presented will be meet with scorn and underhanded insults like "I agree, I think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and generally the people that learn their computer information by visiting a forum are the people most likely to spout about specs and forget about the rest of the whole thing" so its rather pointless to even discuss anything apple related anymore.

Oh that comment was not directed at you my friend, I was just speaking in generalities about the forum, it was not meant to be an underhanded remark at you!

I was also not specifically speaking about Apple products. I mean I have had the same arguments about me owning Alienware laptops, or driving an Audi. To me saving 1kg having a metal chassis and having a better screen is worth $1000. 

Please do not take what i said as a personal insult, if it was aimed at you, I would have specifically mentioned you

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Oh that comment was not directed at you my friend, I was just speaking in generalities about the forum, it was not meant to be an underhanded remark at you!

I was also not specifically speaking about Apple products. I mean I have had the same arguments about me owning Alienware laptops, or driving an Audi. To me saving 1kg having a metal chassis and having a better screen is worth $1000. 

Please do not take what i said as a personal insult, if it was aimed at you, I would have specifically mentioned you

I forgive you.

But not for owning alienware :P

And I would argue that a high level brand isn't the same as it being the best available. But brands are clearly a defining point for you which is fair game.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I forgive you.

But not for owning alienware :P

:wub:

Bah its the M18x, its a beast, 18.4" 1080p display and dual 7970m! (was amazing when I bought it 2 years ago), it has 3 hard drives (2 x SSD) and an m sata SSD)

My problem isn't with Apple. They make cool shit.

My problem is with most of the people who buy their stuff. My dad swore up and down that when I got my Moto X that his iPhone 4S was better as everything - I didn't even start the conversation, he did. I calmly tried to tell him (before I had the phone in my hand) that the Moto X screen would look way nicer, bigger, had a slightly better camera (no smart phone camera is actually good IMO) and it's running a more open OS.

My dad almost turned red in the face that I dare say something about his iPhone 4S. He is also a man who was telling me that he wished phones (like we have today) didn't exist because people rely too much on them, yet he's turning red in the face because I implied something bad about his iPhone. When I actually showed him the Moto X finally, he didn't say a word. Today, he's talking about buying the iPhone 6, even after me telling him they didn't actually improve anything practical. He thinks I'm lying to him. Whatever man. He can get the phone, it's not an issue, I just want people to know what they're getting so they're not going in blind. My dad works his ass off, so should be able to buy what he wants anyways.

So like I pointed out, it's more of the "How do you know someone is an Apple fanboy? The'll let you know." that I have an issue with because it's true. I don't have any issues with Apple, because like I said at the beginning, they make cool shit.

I forgive you.

But not for owning alienware  :P

There's nothing wrong with their laptops.