Note 4, why doesn't it have water & dust resistance?

Teletha

Why doesn't it have those flaps on the usb port and the rubber lines under the battery cover like the s5 does? i mean it costs even more than the s5 is it not worth the extra cost?

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

Maybe just for nicer looks, to try and make it thinner and because it has metal sides now, maybe they didn't to have any plastic on the sides. Also opening and closing that flap and trying to get the cable in, on the S5, is so annoying..

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

It's not that easy to make a phone water resistant. Maybe they didn't want to out in the extra time and effort or maybe it had side effects like worse speaker, annoying flaps, extra thickness, can't have the band out of metal etc, and they didn't want to compromise it that much.

I don't know why it doesn't tbh... I always think that I'm not likely to get my phone that wet. But on the other hand, when I'm spending £500+ on a phone I'd like it to be waterproof. Just so that if I accidentally dropped it in the water I wouldn't end up with a £500 paper-weight.

If only we all could afford 8 SSD's in Raid 0  :wub:

What the others said, plus it's more expensive. The Note 4 is already a fair bit more expensive to manufacture than the S5, and IP67 (or similar) will eat into profits too much. I don't think they're brave enough to charge even more for the phone.

I would actually guess it's due to complex brand image reasons.

Having the flaps that depend on deliberate, correct sealing means plenty of users are going to mess the sealing part up, brick their phone and whine on social media about Samsung being crap.