GTX 980 SLI vs ARES III

CrustyTissue

I know the gtx 980 isn't out yet but to get an ares III i need to be quick, probably before the 980 embargo is lifted. There has been leaked benchmarks and the r9 295x2 beats the 980's in sli so i'm in two minds here i want the gtx 980's but the ares III is so cool and exclusive. But on the other hand i like nvidia software nad g-sync. What do you guys think?

I think you need to pick what you want more. If you want GSync, go Nvidia. If you don't plan on dropping that much on a monitor, go with AMD.

Do you already have a custom loop?

We can't even begin to guess at what the 980 series will bring to the table, so that's a pointless comparison.

Rumors are just rumors.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I think that it is imposssible to go on performance because we don't have cards yet. The Ares will perform very well, but I feel like you should make up your mind if the cool factor is important to you or not. Cause if it isn't it'll always be possible to get something that performs the same or maybe a bit better for the money.

Also AMD v Nvidia might matter for ya.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I highly doubt these "Leaked" benchmarks are legit, its insanely easy to fake stuff such as that.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I know the gtx 980 isn't out yet but to get an ares III i need to be quick, probably before the 980 embargo is lifted. There has been leaked benchmarks and the r9 295x2 beats the 980's in sli so i'm in two minds here i want the gtx 980's but the ares III is so cool and exclusive. But on the other hand i like nvidia software nad g-sync. What do you guys think?

980 SLI if you go air

ARES III if you go custom loop

"Rawr XD"

OP, if you are referring to those BS benchmarks from that "videocardz" site, then you're a bit of a pleb mate.

The card isn't even out yet so you can't really compare it to what is out now. As a rule of thumb it'll be more powerful than the current top cards, from a reasonable source, it's estimated a ~30% performance increase over the current 780/780ti.

Right now, the R9 295 X2 is a great card, but it's up to you if you want to wait out for Nvidia's new cards to see how they stack up to it, in both cost and performance.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

If I was going with my next cards with a 2 Way SLI/CF that would be a tough call that ARES is nice, but I´ll go 3 Way so it is easier for me to decide hehe.

But as written before if you already have a custom water cooled loop the ARES would be a great choice. I mean it´s not only the looks, the chips on this bad boy are cherry picked!

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Go Nvidia if you want to be able to play every game out there,

Go AMD if you want 5fps more (maybe) for a little less cash, but have like 10 games you can't play

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Waiting for the real release of the cards(to the tech sites, at least) is too mainstream.

Just go Quad SLI TitanZ.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Go AMD if you want 5fps more (maybe) for a little less cash, but have like 10 games you can't play

Please do post said link that can confirm this.

10 games you cant play ? what do you mean ?

tumblr_inline_n6p7d3dFyE1s7g6zt.gif

I've heard others say that there are like something like 10 games that require PhysX to play. The only one I've ever encountered and not been able to play was mass effect 3. Granted this was on an APU.

I've heard others say that there are like something like 10 games that require PhysX to play. The only one I've ever encountered and not been able to play was mass effect 3. Granted this was on an APU.

This is absolutely untrue and I would do more research before posting garbage like this. There are NOT even 10 popular games that even have hardware Physx and Mass Effect3 or any of them do not even have Physx at all weather it be advanced hardware or CPU Physx. http://physxinfo.com/

This is absolutely untrue and I would do more research before posting garbage like this. There are NOT even 10 popular games that even have hardware Physx and Mass Effect3 or any of them do not even have Physx at all. http://physxinfo.com/

Just telling you what mass effect 3 on origin told me. Downloaded it, tried to play it, received "Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System installed."

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=169221 <----- same problem here.

Granted, you can install PhysX onto the cpu. Still, it's an extra step that's unnecessary. Not sure why AMD doesn't have PhysX, If it's Nvidia being stupid well, no real solution for that.

Edit: WTF does PhysX even do?

Considering all of these posts i think i'm leaning towards the gtx 980 sli, when do you think the hydro coppers will come out? Hopefully they will have some sexy water block like the titan Z. And yea i will have a custom loop maybe 2 360 monsta rads but at very least a 360 and 240 :)

I'm truly bewilderd as to how you're able to make a VS matchup while there is zero credible info at all about one card.

If you're able to wait, go for 980's, if not, get the Ares card. If you love the looks of the Ares card that much, you could just get that and be happy with it.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Just telling you what mass effect 3 on origin told me. Downloaded it, tried to play it, received "Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System installed."

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=169221 <----- same problem here.

Granted, you can install PhysX onto the cpu. Still, it's an extra step that's unnecessary. Not sure why AMD doesn't have PhysX, If it's Nvidia being stupid well, no real solution for that.

Mass Effect does not have Physx by nvidia. The message you got was physics not Physx. You cannot install Physx onto the CPU lol it either runs on the CPU or the GPU and Mass Effect has no Physx by nvidia at all.

Its Nvidia thinking they made something that developers use, basically a program that allows their type of physics calculations, ( Pointless )

Considering all of these posts i think i'm leaning towards the gtx 980 sli, when do you think the hydro coppers will come out? Hopefully they will have some sexy water block like the titan Z. And yea i will have a custom loop maybe 2 360 monsta rads but at very least a 360 and 240 :)

You do realize one 980 Hydro copper probably is gonna cost ?, just look at 780 Hydro copper or 780 ti Hydro copper, its cheaper just to get a ref board and buy separate waterblock, that's what EVGA does, charge you out of the ass.

Mass Effect does not have Physx by nvidia. The message you got was physics not Physx.

ummm... no? It literally says PhysX.

quote from that thread

"When you uninstalled your nVidia drivers, you apparently got rid of PhysX as well.  ME3 doesn't use GPU-accelerated PhysX, but it does require the library to be installed."

I'm not arguing about whether or not it uses PhysX, the point is that it requires the library for PhysX to be installed.

Its Nvidia thinking they made something that developers use, basically a program that allows their type of physics calculations, ( Pointless )

You do realize one 980 Hydro copper probably is gonna cost ?, just look at 780 Hydro copper or 780 ti Hydro copper, its cheaper just to get a ref board and buy separate waterblock, that's what EVGA does, charge you out of the ass.

So, pointless bullshit that only matters because they made it matter a little bit, got it.

Wait what? what game refuses to work on a AMD card?

Late to the party nvm.

So, pointless bullshit that only matters because they made it matter a little bit, got it.

Its literately the appendices of proprietary software. 

Wait what? what game refuses to work on a AMD card?

Any game that requires PhysX. There is a workaround however. I'm simply stating that I'd rather have my system set up so that every game works out of the box without requiring a workaround. Even if the reason for needing that workaround is bullshit, which I'll admit, it is.

The only one I've encountered personally is Mass Effect 3, which requires PhysX to be installed, even though it doesn't actually use PhysX....because reasons