Xbox powered by cloud, "better than high end pc" ?

Guest GRRigger
Go to solution Solved by Legend932,

MEH they know it won't ever be more powerful than a high end PC, (except if they somehow invent new tech that's more advanced than everything available commercially, which of course is unlikely, impossible in fact) if it's server based then MAYBE it MATCHES a high end PC. MAYBE,  it's just marketing to get people talking about it, seems to be working.

Microsoft is putting thousands of servers across the world. The computing power would be used for xbox owners, who have good internet. 

@ E3, presumably, they will showcase that, and if it is true, xbox may stomp on Ps4 hardware capabilities.

What are your thoughs on that?

#source : 

PC will always be more powerful no matter what.

Well, they are claiming that console will be 4 times more powerful with cloud support. If that is true, than it can compete with mid-high end computers. Just xbox is rubbish, its about entry level gaming pc.

Yes and when a server dies or your internet decides to be slow your sol

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Yes and when a server dies or your internet decides to be slow your sol

^Faster? Don't think so by any stretch of my imagination.

Reliability? Good luck with that compared to having proper solid hardware

^Faster? Don't think so by any stretch of my imagination.

Reliability? Good luck with that compared to having proper solid hardware

i'm confused on what your trying to say ENGLISH MAN ENGLISH

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i'm confused on what your trying to say ENGLISH MAN ENGLISH

Lolz, my bad, the ^ was to point out what you meant and the rest was related to the topic, i doubt cloud servers would be faster than solid hardware, same reliability wise. If the server is down then your game is screwed 

its purley marketing. microsoft havent suddenly bought 20 million gpu's to set up racks for cloud gaming. there isnt enough bandwidth on 99% of americans internet to stream a 1080p movie so what makes you think they have the hardware to stream 1080p gaming. also what would the prices be for early adopters. it certainly wont be cheap. in fact its likley to cost you per year just as much as the high end pc your trying to replace.

so no mate its just more B.S. thats following straight on where micrososft left off with the 360 and game streaming...

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

This isn't too offload GPU intensive calculations more like AI kinda stuff, etc. So it's not really taking a load off the GPU

I'd like to know what PC parts they are using to compare against the Xbox One. For all you know they could have compared it to an APU or an iGPU. There is no why a console can beat a PC in performance...

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Eurogamer had a nice article on this topic:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

pretty much a long version of what snickerzz above said.  There are limitations and SimCity is doing it already.  That worked out well for them...

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

EA is blowing the new consoles harder than the Xbox One blew it's reveal.

I don't see how they could manage a high-end server to work for each xbox one, that would cost them way more than they get.. If they get a certain amount of them, it will be "sorry, no server availble atm. Try again next year".

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Let you in on a secret, current internet speeds are no where near being able to support cloud rendering of games and input streaming between you the console and the server, in order for this "xbox cloud" to ever become a reality even in just the western world is if trillions of dollars are poured into internet infrastructure improvements, not meaning servers, i mean in fibre cables to the home, to central area hubs, to region hubs and under oceans and across continents, its a behemoth task and not even Microsoft has that kind of cash. (Haha last bit rhymes)

Technically, than PC would still win.

The cloud servers are obviously PC's .....so..

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Well, they are claiming that console will be 4 times more powerful with cloud support. If that is true, than it can compete with mid-high end computers. Just xbox is rubbish, its about entry level gaming pc.

With cloud support that means using the internet and if you don't have a fast upload/download speed (like me) it is not going to be great.

Blast processing all over again.

can't wait for the AAA companies to proclaim that PC gaming is dead as usual.

am i the only one who thinks there on to something? i think the guy in the video sounded like a bit of an idiot but that isn't important

my internet speed is 6MB/s usually and i have been able to stream onlive (cloud gaming) from servers in America with little problem beside the rare high ping and with the monthly payments for the xbox live i think Microsoft will be able to buy servers in most countries

just fine that can combat that problem easily

also i don't think it will be a situation where if the internet cuts out (has actually never happened to me so maybe American internet is just really bad) the game stops it will probably still be possible to continue client side but with less graphical detail

and there will probably be a thing where if you don't pay the monthly fee for xbox live you get worse graphics later on in the consoles life while devs use the cloud functionality more

BUT this could also be a possibility on pc where porting games requires an in game background server emulation that could take up a huge amount of resources so that might be bad

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

MEH they know it won't ever be more powerful than a high end PC, (except if they somehow invent new tech that's more advanced than everything available commercially, which of course is unlikely, impossible in fact) if it's server based then MAYBE it MATCHES a high end PC. MAYBE,  it's just marketing to get people talking about it, seems to be working.