My Modern Warfare 2 Revisit Experience

WittItDew

So MW2 was on sale in steam, I decided to add it to my library to play it again since I hadn't played it since around the time it was released back in 2009. I built a new PC and purchased a 144hz monitor so I also wanted to see if the experience and gameplay was smoother/better. I have a different steam account since the last time I played so I would be starting off from square 1. Since this is a 5 year old game, I knew the population of the active community was going to be relatively low. I've also heard the horror stories of modded/hacked servers, but figured there would be plenty of legit servers as well.

I boot it up, configure my video settings and controls. There were only about 400 users in team deathmatch... I join a game which is obviously at random (my 1st match... I can't make this shit up). I connect to a game, walk around a bit and quickly spot an enemy... start shooting and go to reload... R does nothing, first thought was I cleared the reload key during my config by mistake, but my HUD shows a full chip.... unlimited ammo is on, okay whatever... people are still dying so it might be a little fun I guess. I'm not even in this server for more than 2 minutes and I become frozen like the server is finding a new host... nope... I get some text in the middle of my screen 'Unlocking achievements... 0/100... 10/100... 20/100...' and so on... The match was shortly over and I'm back at the menu... I'm level 70, all weapons, skins, attachments, and killstreaks are unlocked. All the weapon and killstreak achievements completed, so all the callsigns and emblems are unlocked. Everything 100% unlocked and completed with only 5 minutes of playtime...

I was hoping for a lot more with this game, but I then tried to play another 4 or 5 matches all of them modded/hacked servers... my hopes were unfulfilled.

Can't really say it was worth my ten dollars... figured I share this if anyone else who wanted to replay mw2... this is what you'll be getting into.

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

Honestly who would want to grind 700 levels in a game with such little depth? Why isn't the game fun without having to worry about levels.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Have you tried alterwnet? it makes the game much better.

basically a "mod" that adds a server browser, custom maps/mods, and alot of options such as fov.

its basically mw2 with all the options it should have had. 

This is why I use MW2Config. You can save your stats and load them whenever THAT happens. Came in handy quite some times.
I Would play more if the connections weren't terrible all the time and all the enemies I play against, aren't a bunch of braindead low level primates.

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

-snip-

Yeah. That's what those servers are there for. To unlock everything for you. Like, you are never expected to actually play games there. You go there to get these unlocked to leave and never come back.

I recommend finding a private MW2 specific community/server and playing there. Obviously some place where the mods are ones you prefer to actually have.

basically a "mod" that adds a server browser, custom maps/mods, and alot of options such as fov.

Do this^

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

But how were the graphics? :P

NEXT-GEN!!!

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

alteriwnet was the shit back then! 

Is alteriwnet still populated today? I'll have to look into this, are there any other solid mods out there for mw2? Like texture packs or other graphical improvements?

But how were the graphics? :P

Honestly didn't notice much difference in graphics, I used a 5770/6870 the first time round and now a 780... only difference was probably the 144hz.

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

alterwnet is still pretty populated(i only know for europe servers, but assuming us too)

Is alteriwnet still populated today? I'll have to look into this, are there any other solid mods out there for mw2? Like texture packs or other graphical improvements?

Honestly didn't notice much difference in graphics, I used a 5770/6870 the first time round and now a 780... only difference was probably the 144hz.

yup, it's still used in BO2 aswell  :)

It's unfortunate. Played this game on PS3 when it came out and had the time of life. If it was $5 on PC I'd probably go for it but Activision is very sparse with sales.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.2 | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: EVGA GTX 780ti ACX SC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Monitor: Asus PB278Q | Sound: ATH-M50X | Mic: Blue Snowball