What can we learn from 800,000 public comments on the FCC's net neutrality plan?

dlf

http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2014/09/02/what-can-we-learn-from-800000-public-comments-on-the-fccs-net-neutrality-plan/

On Aug. 5, the Federal Communications Commission announced the bulk release of the comments from its largest-ever public comment collection. We've spent the last three weeks cleaning and preparing the data and leveraging our experience in machine learning and natural language processing to try and make sense of the hundreds-of-thousands of comments in the docket. Here is a high-level overview, as well as our cleaned version of the full corpus which is available for download in the hopes of making further research easier.

Our first exploration uses natural language processing techniques to identify topical keywords within comments and use those keywords to group comments together. We analyzed a corpus of 800,959 comments. Some key findings:

• We estimate that less than 1 percent of comments were clearly opposed to net neutrality1.

• At least 60 percent of comments submitted were form letters written by organized campaigns (484,692 comments); while these make up the majority of comments, this is actually a lower percentage than is common for high-volume regulatory dockets.

• At least 200 comments came from law firms, on behalf of themselves or their clients.

The site has an interactive visualization of the comments about NN.

We learn nothing, everyone already knew the stance of the public including the asshole telecoms corps and the FCC.

"Less than 1% opposed Net Neutrality. "

You wanna bet that what the 1% wants will happen anyway...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The prblem is that we put F**KING TELECOM LOBBYISTS in as FCC Chairmen

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

tom wheeler and the fcc know damn well what the public wants with net neutrality. If they were on the side of the public this whole NN problem wouldn't be a problem right now.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

The prblem is that we put F**KING TELECOM LOBBYISTS in as FCC Chairmen

When you say we, you mean the Obama administration.

Well, I guess you could say "we" since over half of the country voted him in, AGAIN.

Well, I guess you could say "we" since over half of the country voted him in, AGAIN.

I honestly don't believe they did, then again, I don't believe the electoral college should exist either.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

We learn nothing, everyone already knew the stance of the public including the asshole telecoms corps and the FCC.

we did, that merica has a lot of variations of the word "fuck"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/193069-americans-gave-4337-fs-about-net-neutrality-warning-excessive-swearing/

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Google, Microsoft, Wikipedia and Yahoo should throttle connections from the FCC and see how they like it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Google, Microsoft, Wikipedia and Yahoo should throttle connections from the FCC and see how they like it.

Or better yet, throttle all their own domains, give the impression of 28.8 (or slower) kbps internet speed. See what that does.

So let me get this straight.

If this was an election, then 1% would have voted for the high speed lanes, and the other 99% would either have voted against it or been unsure.

If we don't get net neutrality from this then the FCC are pure evil.

Less than one percent opposes?

ISPs and the FCC alike need to get their heads out of their asses.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I honestly don't believe they did, then again, I don't believe the electoral college should exist either.

Agreed, it should be based on majority vote only.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

As if we had much of a choice.

What we learned from this, the FCC will just ignore the majority and go with whoever has the deepest pockets

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I say we because it is supposed to be a democracy; even though it could be called an oligarchy.

Democratic Oligarchy is about what it is

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2