Evolution to be taught in UK primary schools

When this is standard practice around the world, we might just finally have some peace.

Nah, the problems of religious violence stem much deeper than the creationism vs evolution argument. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Nah, the problems of religious violence stem much deeper than the creationism vs evolution argument. 

True, but religion is well known to prepare people for believing what they're told without and evidence or proof, faith is brainwashing people to be lied to, so if we can nip that in the bud things will get better

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

When this is standard practice around the world, we might just finally have some peace.

the question you have to ask is, is religion the cause or the tool?  IF god does not exist then religion is merely an artificial tool of humanity ( a concept that represents human desires constructed in a manor to absolve oneself of guilt or responsibility)  and thus regardless of the reason, the cause of war is always humanity.  No one is going to admit they invaded another country for it's oil reserves,  they'd get too much back lash, even from within their own country, but if they claim religious retribution or self preservation from genocide that is a different story.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

True, but religion is well known to prepare people for believing what they're told without and evidence or proof, faith is brainwashing people to be lied to, so if we can nip that in the bud things will get better

Agreed. We are just going to have to work a little harder than simply not teaching creationism in public school.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

the question you have to ask is, is religion the cause or the tool?  IF god does not exist then religion is merely an artificial tool of humanity ( a concept that represents human desires constructed in a manor to absolve oneself of guilt or responsibility)  and thus regardless of the reason, the cause of war is always humanity.  No one is going to admit they invaded another country for it's oil reserves,  they'd get too much back lash, even from within their own country, but if they claim religious retribution or self preservation from genocide that is a different story.

Thats the point. God is a scapegoat for humanity, we invented a fake being, who stands in judgement of us, and act like morality comes only from it, instead of coming from within us.

Funny thing, in my pharmacy class (250 people) at the university, there were some muslims. They actually believed in creationism, and still do. I'm really curious what they've been doing during certain classes :-/

Anyway, this is a good thing. Good education is key.

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

Thats the point. God is a scapegoat for humanity, we invented a fake being, who stands in judgement of us, and act like morality comes only from it, instead of coming from within us.

and religion is the scape goat for humanities failings.  it's a circular argument.   I think the issue is human greed.  the desire for power and more is what drives nearly everything. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Having gone to a catholic primary and secondary school (and turning out an atheist), I can tell you that in the UK, evolution is given a fair shake at teaching.

In science, we learn about evolution as a scientific fact. In RE, that's where we learn about Creationism, as it should be.

Also, I'll always remember in Year 11 when we were doing sex ed (because we'd turned 16 and could legally have sex) and the teacher came in and said "Now because this is a catholic school I can't show you or endorse the use of condoms, but come on, don't be stupid".

It does humour me to know that in every other school I know of they've had a "dildo lesson" where-by they've used a dildo to show how to apply a condom and in my school we never had that.

We had that, but later on the dildo and a diaphragm both went missing. :D

and religion is the scape goat for humanities failings.  it's a circular argument.   I think the issue is human greed.  the desire for power and more is what drives nearly everything. 

It is a circular argument, I'm taking about removing the primary hub of that argument being removed, if we remove religion, we won't have anything to blame anymore except ourselves.

We had that, but later on the dildo and a diaphragm both went missing. :D

It was the same thing in my school xD But only the dildo was stolen. And the teacher was pissed that she had to go buy another one

In the school i went to evolution was a part of biology class. And religion was part of social studies.

Just had my first religion class at uni (Still a core part of social studies) And it's taught mostly from a theoretical standpoint where we discuss all religions + what they're on about.

It's more of a session of discussion about religion nowadays i guess. Loved the classes reaction when i brought up bushido though (Zen buddhism,shinto,confucianism) A slight tension briefly passed through the classroom

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

It is a circular argument, I'm taking about removing the primary hub of that argument being removed, if we remove religion, we won't have anything to blame anymore except ourselves.

Good luck with that,  spirituality is an intrinsic part of the human psych.  You can prevent someone from learning about religion but you can't change the basic premise that humanity will simply create another to replace it.  Don't believe me? just look at all the new religions being created every year around the world. most of them are founded because people don't like what the existing religions have to offer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_religious_movement

Good luck with that,  spirituality is an intrinsic part of the human psych.  You can prevent someone from learning about religion but you can't change the basic premise that humanity will simply create another to replace it.  Don't believe me? just look at all the new religions being created every year around the world. most of them are founded because people don't like what the existing religions have to offer.

Just thought i'd add that i suspect that the religion of "GabeN" will probably be a thing soon with how things are progressing  <_<

Jedi is already one. so it wouldn't surprise me xD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Don't use that term unless you provide a definition.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Don't remind me lol

Don't use that term unless you provide a definition.

what term?

Sweet, evolution should be taught in science class and creationism should be taught in social studies/religion class. Just keep them separate.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

what term?

Spirituality...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Spirituality...

It has a pretty basic definition that is rarely misinterpreted when used in context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

Even if they don't, it's better than teaching creationism, at least science is willing to correct itself, heck, they aim to prove themselves wrong so that progress can be made.

Because scientists have never falsified information or skewed results in order to get funding......... oh wait.

Because scientists have never falsified information or skewed results in order to get funding......... oh wait.

Because creationists have a more accurate explanation than scientists.......... oh wait.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

It has a pretty basic definition that is rarely misinterpreted when used in context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

"It may refer to almost any kind of meaningful activity or blissful experience, but without a single, widely-agreed definition."

That's taken out of the page you linked and it just proves my point, there's no consensus on a definition.

If you connote it to "spirits" or any other kind of paranormal crap then of course it's bullcrap.

Atheists and skeptics use it to describe moments of awe when contemplating the cosmos, if that's what you're talking about then it's fine of course. We do not need to annex supernatural bullcrap to all the beauty that surrounds us, if anything that only takes away from it.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” -Douglas Adams

"It may refer to almost any kind of meaningful activity or blissful experience, but without a single, widely-agreed definition."

That's taken out of the page you linked and it just proves my point, there's no consensus on a definition.

If you connote it to "spirits" or any other kind of paranormal crap then of course it's bullcrap.

Atheists and skeptics use it to describe moments of awe when contemplating the cosmos, if that's what you're talking about then it's fine of course. We do not need to annex supernatural bullcrap to all the beauty that surrounds us, if anything that only takes away from it.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” -Douglas Adams

I would say if you have a problem with it's definition the way I used it,  then you have a problem with context.  Which is a much bigger problem than trying to work out what one might define as spirituality.

Richard Dawkins is a Twat that puts science back 20 years.  He needs to learn common decency if he thinks he's going to change minds or educate people. His derogatory arrogance has probably cause more people to dig their heels in and refuse to listen to scientists than church.

The scientific method is the ultimate pursuit of truth.

You described scientific fraud and obviously it is wrong, but all you've showed is that there are some people ready to falsify or twist information for their own benefit. 

That says nothing about science, that just says something about human nature.

I'm still wondering why monkeys are still here if humans evolved from monkeys,

General idea is exaptation & then adaptation then turning into permenant features aka evolved features, this is worse than catholic schools teachings.. :P but oh well.. lets see where this goes for the next 2000 years..

Details separate people.

I'm still wondering why monkeys are still here if humans evolved from monkeys,

Same reason the egg came before the chicken, slow genetic mutations on some offspring combined with adaptation for the apes who were becoming humans. I can go in to more depth if I'm sounding all jumbled. Although I'm not even sure if you actually are asking or being rhetorical :P

I'm glad, now the world can follow, no need to believe in fairies and the prehistoric moral values on women and homosexuality these religions have. 

Though I do believe some religions teach good values, such as the truth, treat others as you would yourself, peace etc, but these should be confined to preps and taught different to science or just not at all.