Are AMD drivers really that bad?

leelaa14
Go to solution Solved by Archangel1994,

Massively over-exaggerated. I for one hate the Nvidia drivers lol, they look so shite and and have a ease of use of a cow. I have Nvidia on my laptop and AMD in my PC and I have less trouble with the AMD driver than I do with the Nvidia driver.

Edit: Also you can get the sapphire Tri-x for £380, not £400 and you can get a 780 Ti for £460, not £500

Never had a problem, just the updating went wrong one time, but you just simply uninstall it and try again.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Never had any problem with AMD driver before, except when I was using the Beta, but you know..

You can force Vsync with AMD cards...

It's not built in.It might be different because I own the mobility series, but from the 14.4 Catalyst drivers, I couldn't find such feature. 

Is it available on newer cards?

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Massively over-exaggerated. I for one hate the Nvidia drivers lol, they look so shite and and have a ease of use of a cow.

what?

It's not built in.It might be different because I own the mobility series, but from the 14.4 Catalyst drivers, I couldn't find such feature. 

Is it available on newer cards?

U1Ot4RP.jpg?1

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

People have different experiences with drivers for either AMD or Nvidia.

Overall, the drivers for AMD are fine. When people say they are bad, they most likely used the original drivers which came with the card and didn't bother updating, or just happened to have one small driver issue with a specific game which could've been resolved by trying a different driver version. Heck, it could've even been an issue with the game itself, not the card.

absolutely. I have a friend here at work still using a gtx500 series Nvidia card, and he had to keep rolling his drivers back into 2013 to stop getting black screens in some game (might have been battlefield 2). an experience like that can leave a bad taste.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

nope, there fine now, nvidia is still ahead for multicard by a little though

Actually AMD had better multi card scaling. That's why 2 R9 290x card outperform 2 780ti cards.

The only problem I had with AMD drivers is that Mafia II is unplayable with AMD 14.7 Beta. (try it if you want)

I just finished Mafia 2 with Catalyst 14.7 RC3 last week. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I just finished Mafia 2 with Catalyst 14.7 RC3 last week. 

I had graphical glitches and a mouse not working. When I installed 14.4 again everything was fine.

Actually AMD had better multi card scaling. That's why 2 R9 290x card outperform 2 780ti cards.

yeah but alot of games seem to perform better with nvidia, there both good solutions now

yeah but alot of games seem to perform better with nvidia, there both good solutions now

Not really. Even take the 780 vs 290 which are directly competitive yet the 290 almost always performs better. You have to pay through the nose to get better performance from nvidia.

Not really. Even take the 780 vs 290 which are directly competitive yet the 290 almost always performs better. You have to pay through the nose to get better performance from nvidia.

i mean in terms of multicard support, more games have good sli profiles and the 290 is the price performance ratio so of course its always best 

Hey guys, first off i would like to state, i don't intend on starting any fanboy wars here, just looking for some honest user experience and non biased opinions.

I was planning on getting a gtx 780 ti sc acx for £500, but now i've found a r9 290x vapor x for £400. Now i'm more inclined on getting the latter as it works out i will be paying around £100 for an extra 10fps with the nvidia card.

The only thing putting me off is, I've been reading that amd are quite bad compared to nvidia with there drivers, can anyone tell me a little more about this?

just look at this! http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Failure-Rates-by-Generation-563/

I don't see the point in putting all that money into something that has such a high failure rate. Nvidia is much more reliable. evga is like the best gpu brand you can get hands down they do 5/10 year extended warranty and there customer service is the best they recently just one awards for there service. sapphire on the other hand only offer 2 year warranty and they aren't suppose to be that great. 

Nvidia gpu's stay cooler, quieter, more stable/better drivers, adaptive vsync, driver vsync that actually works, lower power consumption and my experience nvidia have felt smoother in games. I had amd with my first build and there was a few drivers that were buggy causing artifacts in games like far cry 3, batman ect and the frames also felt a bit choppy. I just think amd are cheap for a reason not all this price/performance because if there drivers are worse and they have a higher failure rate then there cheap for a reason and not worth the money. The 290x is a hot hot card I personal wouldn't get it. pay the extra money for the 780 ti sc, evga are awesome and nvidia are just better imo. I currently have the 6gb evga 780 sc and it's an awesome card man never seen it go above 60c most games stay around 39c/57c depending on the game. Looking at vids online the 290x is hitting like 70c.

Even pc origins stopped using amd components because most returned pc's were amd builds.

^ i bet Asus R9/R7 cards contributed at least 80% to that stats.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

nvidia does not have DMA engine, "bridge less CFX" solution which is why CFX scales better now in dayz than does SLI.

Display drivers stop responding.

I've had that error with both AMD and nVidia....neither is perfect.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

nope, there fine now, nvidia is still ahead for multicard by a little though

Sorry, but you might want to look at that again, AMD/ATI's implementation has always scaled better in a larger number of games then nVidia. It has been that way sice the 2900 (which was a disaster apart from scaling better in crossfire). Admittidly it is much closer now then back then.

Even pc origins stopped using amd components because most returned pc's were amd builds.

Sorry, but please do your research, this is a complete and utter fabrication.

They aren't bad at all, they used to be though, that's why they get such a bad reputation. BUY AMD. NOW. I'M DEFINITELY NOT A FANBOY.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Nope they are great.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

I'm not starting an argument here but I am just sharing my experience and also showing proof that amd aren't all that great. Nvidia are less troublesome and more reliable. 

Its time like this that I really want to get an AMD card just to try things out... 

During JayzTwoCents tech talk this past thursday both Jay and Barnacles outright said they've had more issues with Nvidia drivers than AMD drivers. Yet, I feel like I've seen a lot more driver complaints pertaining to AMD drivers... Anyway, they did have an AMD rep on the stream, but meh...idk I don't think they were just saying it to appease him. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i find them as bad as each other as long as my game runs i am happy. I know we invest in the hardware but its still alot of work for each company to make perfect drivers for each different device. fact that i have a 8800 gtx ultra that stilll runs bf3 well at 1080 shows the effort put in compared to my 780ti