General facts about pc's and how they work

nanowatt

The idea is simple i am requesting your help so people that are not so good at pc's will know a thing or two by reading this topic.

Don't say the same idea if someone already said it.Just improve it if it's the case.

1.Higher Ram frequency in only used for programs like Adobe After Effect or Video editing.It's not going to improve game fps.

2.Most of the time people tend to buy psu with more wattage that is needed.So be careful when you shop because you may pay more that is needed.

3.Both amd and intel have great cpu and they will most likely perform the same in games.(same price tags)The only difference is that amd have better graphics integrated in they cpu's and intel cpu's are more for multi-tasking.

4.The minimum need for ram to play games in optimal conditions is 8 gb.

5.When shopping for aio coolers take a look at the flow rate and the speed of the pump because these 2 things are more important that the thickness of the rad but not always.

6.Better fans can have a huge impact on cooling your computer.

Keep your post simple and clear.Please correct others if it's needed so we make sure that everything in this topic is correct.

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

parts cost money

I expected more from you...

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

PC's need electric, so buying a quality power supply is a must. You should never skimp out on a low quality PSU, simply because you wanna save $10 - $20 on a build which costs a few hundred.

And don't forget...

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

More money spent does not always equal more performance

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

if you spray paint your computer red, it runs faster

also: if you're living in a house with a bad wireless connection, pick up an EoP (ethernet over power) kit. life changing stuff!

if you spray paint your computer red, it runs faster

pc's need electric

Do you have to be such dicks?I created this to maybe help so people i don't need your useless sarcasm

Higher frequency RAM can improve gaming performance, dependent on the game and the system configuration. There are plenty of new games which favor higher speed RAM, as there are also systems which will have their integrated graphics used for gaming which also benefit vastly from such.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Higher frequency RAM can improve gaming performance, dependent on the game and the system configuration. There are plenty of new games which favor higher speed RAM, as there are also AMD's APUs which also benefit vastly from such.

I would say any integrated graphics solution that has to use system memory to store textures will benefit from it, not just specifically AMD.

Higher frequency RAM can improve gaming performance, dependent on the game and the system configuration. There are plenty of new games which favor higher speed RAM, as there are also AMD's APUs which also benefit vastly from such.

True amd apu's need good memory but i don't know any game thirsty of ram frequency and if so the improvement is about 10%

1. It's going to improve game fps by a very small margin as was proven by Linus (

). It usually maxes at 1 fps but can make a bigger difference if your previous RAM speed was 800 or 1066. ALso APU's benefit GREATLY from higher frequency RAM (Either 1866, 2133 or 2400 was the sweet spot, cannot remember which).

2. It really depends what your plan is. Many fans/HDD's? Get a bigger PSU. 2-way SLI/CF? Get a bigger PSU.

3. They do NOT perform the same in unless you are looking at the higher end AMD models such as the FX-8350. Try putting an Athlon 3.8 quad vs an I3 3.4 dual. The I3 will wreck the Athlon without a doubt.

4. Wrong again, as long as you keep the other RAM using processes to a minimum 4GB is enough for damn near everything. If your PC has tons of stuff on it then 6GB would be the minimum but not 8GB.

5. There are way more factors than those 2. In general you do not have to specifically worry about pump speed.

6. NO SHIT, THAT'S COMMON SENSE!

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

The idea is simple i am requesting your help so people that are not so good at pc's will know a thing or two by reading this topic.

Don't say the same idea if someone already said it.Just improve it if it's the case.

1.Higher Ram frequency in only used for programs like Adobe After Effect or Video editing.It's not going to improve game fps.

2.Most of the time people tend to buy psu with more wattage that is needed.So be careful when you shop because you may pay more that is needed.

3.Both amd and intel have great cpu and they will most likely perform the same in games.(same price tags)The only difference is that amd have better graphics integrated in they cpu's and intel cpu's are more for multi-tasking.

4.The minimum need for ram to play games in optimal conditions is 8 gb.

5.When shopping for aio coolers take a look at the flow rate and the speed of the pump because these 2 things are more important that the thickness of the rad but not always.

6.Better fans can have a huge impact on cooling your computer.

Keep your post simple and clear.Please correct others if it's needed so we make sure that everything in this topic is correct.

2 and 6 are not correct.  

An amd 8350 will multi-task better than an i5  clock speed and architecture are more important for gaming and core count is more important for multi-tasking.

I'm a huge advocate for good quality fans but often they aren't really worth the money.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

2 and 6 are not correct.  

An amd 8350 will multi-task better than an i5  clock speed and architecture are more important for gaming and core count is more important for multi-tasking.

I'm a huge advocate for good quality fans but often they aren't really worth the money.

This is why i created this topic so we all can learn some things :D

- If you can mount something yourself, you should do so in order to save money and get exactly what you need.

- Don't skip the ssd if your budget is above 800$

- For gaming, the gpu is much more important than the cpu, so while a terrible cpu will cause a bottleneck it's better to spend more on a better gpu than get the fancier and super expensive cpus (like i7s which give NO benefits for games)

- If you're not gaming or using programs that use gpus for computing, you're fine with the integrated gpu

- Brands can be an indication on the product's quality, but you should always look around to see if someone else is offering something better, perhaps for a lower price (as long as it's a reliable manifacturer)

- Don't discriminate between nvidia, intel and amd: all 3 make good products and it's up to you to decide objectively which product satisfies your exact needs at the best price

- Prebuilts are evil, don't buy them unless you have to for some reason

- newer stuff is *usually* a better choice when making a new build (for example it makes no sense to get a 3770k over a 4790k) however there are some exceptions like for example when the slightly outdated hardware is much cheaper than the new one (ddr3/ddr4 is a perfect example atm)

- if you have a good budget, don't spare money on the psu and motherboard (within reason, getting the highest end options would mean you run into diminishing returns and you're probably overspending) because they run the rest of the system: a bad psu can potentially kill some components as well as just die in a couple of years and a bad motherboard can cause instability and a variety of different problems you don't want to deal with if you don't have to

- crossfire/sli only scale in an acceptable way in 2-card configurations, getting more is pretty much a waste of money (3-way is still kind of ok but not worth the extra money). Also, getting a higher end card is usually better than crossfiring 2 low end ones. If you want more power than 2-way can provide you should probably wait for the following generation of gpus

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1. Actually, RAM frequency can have an effect on fps...... only like 1-3 frames... but still. Also, RAM frequency plays a MAJOR roll in APU gaming performance......

2. Better to have to much than not enough..... :/

3. No... just no....

4. Bull to the shit.

5. No.

6. No shit......

But if you have dedicated graphics, you could spend the extra 20 bucks on some sort of upgrade

0. Learn binary, 0 comes before 1.

1. Ram speed greatly effects apus, this is because they use the ram as vram, if you have an apu splash out on ram

2. ddr means double data rate, if your ram speed is 1600mhz then in some programs it will say 800mhz, dont crap yourself about it.

3. When buying a case take in mind the longest modern gpu isnt longer then 310mm

4. If the psu isnt 80+ bronze or higher, stay the hell away from it.

5. If you dont like gaben you are permanently banned from the pcslightlybetterthenaveragerace

6. When buying a case it in the end comes down to two categories, airflow vs silence, you cant have too much of both, you will just have to accept that.

7. If you comment on youtube ignore any replies, assume people are clueless because most of the times they are.

8. Spend the most money on gpus, they matter most if you are gaming.

9. If you want to get into movie production or you are just rendering a lot then focus on the cpu more/

10. RAM guide: 4gb:facebook and general web browsing

11. RAM guide2: 8gb: gaming, pretty much all games will not use over 8gb unless you go 4k.

12. RAM guide3:16gb+ if you are gaming and streaming or if you are doing heavy editing 

13. You will have to accept the fact that as you learn more about computers you will also start to love cats.

14. Stay away from a certain video on youtube by the name of "yuki yuki yuki", its ten hours long and it will destroy your life.

15. Before buying a product research on potential problems and how well that company is at responding and replacing.

16. Yes it can run crysis.

17. But can it run star citizen

17. One card is more stable then two cards.

19. I put down the number 17 twice.

20. Then i skipped 18

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I am mad? :)) Look at you getting offensive for some things i said.You act like a 13 years old."to your ignorance" 4 and 5

He is right on 4, 8GB isn't "optimal" it just gives a lot of head room. Unless you increase texture size, a game only takes about 2 or 3GB of RAM.

please snip my quote on that post please. ^^^

What are you talking about?

The extra 20 bucks saved on RAM could go to a better HDD/higher capacity SSD

The extra 20 bucks saved on RAM could go to a better HDD/higher capacity SSD

I never said anything about 20 bucks. Wrong person quoted? 

I never said anything about 20 bucks. Wrong person quoted?

Shit.

OP with all due respect, if you're trying to start up a successful thread you should a: use correct English and b: start the thread off with some good posts. Pretty much everything you said was wrong...

1. Yes it is going to alter game FPS, however on a price-per-dollar analysis it won't be as effective as say upgrading a GPU.

2. There is a lot more to a power supply than just wattage for starters... And I think a lot of people prefer a 'better safe than sorry' approach.

3. This point was the closest to making sense out of the 6...  

4. You're saying this like its a fact... Have you got a source for this? There are a lot of scenarios in which more RAM is extremely beneficial, and a lot of situations where a smaller amount (eg 4GB) is ample.

5. You contradicted yourself in this post.

6. This one was just obvious.

Please think before you post.

so my understanding is that mantle is able to leverage extra cores... is this true or false... and if it is true then could that just be the beginning where we will start seeing games need/want more than 4 cores?

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,