How to do well at school and play games

hezzajm

I play FPS games like Cod, Battlefield, Counter strike and have become a very skilled player in all three, but school has just started where I live and I can never find the time to sit down and do my homework, I'm a bright kid, but I don't put enough time into my work, also my handwriting sucks. 

Sorry if this is abit off topic

It's all about priorities. Your education is far more important than stupid 3d war games.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

LTT and San Andreas MP. SACNR of course...

Except on the LTT part, we're on the same page. I'm always active on the SA-MP forums a while back and played some CNR (though not SACNR, but CrazyBob's) as well as Pilots Life for 2 years. I've left the community this year because of my studies, though having knowledge in Pawn scripting was a huge advantage while taking up my course.

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

i feel ya.

i think the best answer is to say;

dont let your grade go below B-, if it doesn no video games untill its above B-.

when you get older and older you'll learn which subjects are actually usefull for you and work for you. focus on those, then just kinda... ''pass'' the ones that are useless to YOU.

in my freshman year of highschool my history teacher crammed it down all our throats and i actually suffered because she was so harsh. all my other subjects  failed because history just.. doesnt stick with me and takes 5 times as much to study for and left no time for the other subjects.

so, for now, focus on staying above B- in all your classes and when you become a sohpmore start prioratizing. (you still need to pass though! dont completely flop them! )

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Do all the homework then start playing whenever you get time.Not late night!

I play FPS games like Cod, Battlefield, Counter strike and have become a very skilled player in all three, but school has just started where I live and I can never find the time to sit down and do my homework, I'm a bright kid, but I don't put enough time into my work, also my handwriting sucks.

Sorry if this is abit off topic

Fuck school. Its a useless waste of time. The only thing of importance is learning how to learn. After that its entirely pointless and not of use.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

Fuck school. Its a useless waste of time. The only thing of importance is learning how to learn. After that its entirely pointless and not of use.

Ladies and gentlemen, 30 years of fast food joint working there. Or if you are lucky, car mechanic. Well, not really since you need to go school to lean how to be mechanic.

As for original post. Always school before games. Even if you are thinking you might be good enough to be pro. You are 13 and golden age of gamers is from 16 to 30. You still have time. I played comp games from 15 to 24. Boy, did that took time of my life. Now I think I could have used some of it better. My brother did somewhat same but he stopped before me. We used to game 20 to 23 sunday to thursday. Games were CS1.6, BF2 and CoD4. Thats when most praccs and officials were. While schools ended like 16, that left enough time to do homework and other things around house. During exam weeks it was less gaming, more reading.

Being "skilled" doesn't mean anything yet. When you win something and get certificate for it, thats when you can prove your parents that gaming might be worth of time you are spending on it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ladies and gentlemen, 30 years of fast food joint working there. Or if you are lucky, car mechanic. Well, not really since you need to go school to lean how to be mechanic.

As for original post. Always school before games. Even if you are thinking you might be good enough to be pro. You are 13 and golden age of gamers is from 16 to 30. You still have time. I played comp games from 15 to 24. Boy, did that took time of my life. Now I think I could have used some of it better. My brother did somewhat same but he stopped before me. We used to game 20 to 23 sunday to thursday. Games were CS1.6, BF2 and CoD4. Thats when most praccs and officials were. While schools ended like 16, that left enough time to do homework and other things around house. During exam weeks it was less gaming, more reading.

Being "skilled" doesn't mean anything yet. When you win something and get certificate for it, thats when you can prove your parents that gaming might be worth of time you are spending on it.

I'm actually a extremely intelligent individual. I'm 16. And even with my attitude towards school I still get decent grades. If you can't see that school has no use other then to get you into college or university. After elementary school you don't need anything and the idea of highschool is useless its only purpose is to stall you till you have a better idea of what you want to do. After elementary you have developed how to learn. And you could head on in to something like university right away and start your career path that would be more beneficial then the waste of time that is highschool.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

I'm actually a extremely intelligent individual. I'm 16. And even with my attitude towards school I still get decent grades. If you can't see that school has no use other then to get you into college or university. After elementary school you don't need anything and the idea of highschool is useless its only purpose is to stall you till you have a better idea of what you want to do. After elementary you have developed how to learn. And you could head on in to something like university right away and start your career path that would be more beneficial then the waste of time that is highschool.

I don't know how these things work in other countries. But in here kids are still kids when they go to high school. They may know something and how to learn stuff. But they aren't nowhere near that point when you are ready to decide what you want to do when you are adult. High school is place where you learn what you like to do and what are things you learn best. Then its time to decide for future.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't know how these things work in other countries. But in here kids are still kids when they go to high school. They may know something and how to learn stuff. But they aren't nowhere near that point when you are ready to decide what you want to do when you are adult. High school is place where you learn what you like to do and what are things you learn best. Then its time to decide for future.

That's why I explained it as a stalling period between your a child and you know what to do.

I have free periods in which i do my HW. I stay in school until i have completed it, then i go home and play (except during stressful weeks eg test weeks, the week my IA / EE is due, etc.).

IB Student I see...

Oh BTW, I don't game all that much but I usually find time after homework...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Personally I think school is just a waist of time and money.you can learn more at home.I am serious.

I somewhat agree with you. I don't know my IQ or something but I attend a gymnasium (a school that combines elementary and high school) and passed all the classes up until now with straight A's with the same attitude, no revising at home or doing homework, just paying attention in class makes me remember most things and I just revise the break before the test. I don't find 90% of the things I learn really important, just development of logic thinking and languages of course. I just want to get to the university I want really.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Or master your brain and become more efficient at anything.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Damn I see 7th 8th 9th graders. I feel old.

As for the OP, as everyone else says, do your school work first. Don't let yourself open your computer before it's done. As someone who had to retake many a class in Uni cuz of my Dota addiction, don't make the same mistakes I did.

Do your homework, then play games. It's all about disciplining yourself. Sure your parents or friends can remind you but as you get older you'll have a lot of responsibility, and you should know when to work and when to play. I used to play games then homework, but then I got so caught up in the game I forgot all about the work. Now I'm screwed. Think of games as like a reward for finishing your homework. Or you can wait until the weekends or when you have free time. 

seriously? bright kid you say? to stupid to come up with: put school first, games second, we have to say it 100 times before you get your lazy ass to do some fucking homework? sjesus...

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

seriously? bright kid you say? to stupid to come up with: put school first, games second, we have to say it 100 times before you get your lazy ass to do some fucking homework? sjesus...

Or is it smart enough to realize that school isn't what everyone thinks it is. Let me put it this way. Say you don't graduate you wait 1 year 1 piddly fucking year. Then you go into uni as a adult did highschool even matter well no. You just take what you need then and well your on a fast track to your career.

Also games are my future. Instead if learning why the fuck canada came to be. I spend my time building games. And writing code.

Or is it smart enough to realize that school isn't what everyone thinks it is. Let me put it this way. Say you don't graduate you wait 1 year 1 piddly fucking year. Then you go into uni as a adult did highschool even matter well no. You just take what you need then and well your on a fast track to your career. Also games are my future. Instead if learning why the fuck canada came to be. I spend my time building games. And writing code.

Well what can I say, you're in for quite a shock once you enter the real world. You think any reputable game company will hire you without a degree from a top tier university? They don't care about your crappy indie games you developed by yourself, they care about what University you graduated from and what your GPA is. Do your fucking homework, get into to good university, then you can start building games and writing code.

Just do it before playing games...?

Remember, school is your future and you can't replay it.

Ya wha? not even secret codes? or save points?

CPU: I5-4440 / MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H / RAM: G.Skill ripjaws 2x4GB / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 128gb SSD, 1TB WD HDD / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: Xigmatek Aquila / Monitor: Dell U2414H

You stop playing games and get your ass into gear... honestly you can play games during the holidays or when you have free days :3 

Wrong. Stop going to school and get your ass playing! Lol. But really, take advantage of the time you have earlier in the semester, do your homework at school while in class (stop socializing-its overrated), and game at night!  

Well what can I say, you're in for quite a shock once you enter the real world. You think any reputable game company will hire you without a degree from a top tier university? They don't care about your crappy indie games you developed by yourself, they care about what University you graduated from and what your GPA is. Do your fucking homework, get into to good university, then you can start building games and writing code.

What a depressing world. A degree defines and grades our intelligence. But that's how it works I guess. 

I haven't played games on weekdays since fourth grade, and I've found that I do much better because of it. Play on weekends or during vacations, but put your schoolwork first

Or is it smart enough to realize that school isn't what everyone thinks it is. Let me put it this way. Say you don't graduate you wait 1 year 1 piddly fucking year. Then you go into uni as a adult did highschool even matter well no. You just take what you need then and well your on a fast track to your career. Also games are my future. Instead if learning why the fuck canada came to be. I spend my time building games. And writing code.

blog1117-homeless3.jpg

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

This is how I used to handle it: Pay attention at school, write down all the info so I don't have to revise at home. If a test is due next lesson, revise during the break before it. Also if any homework is due, do it before said lesson. I only did bigger stuff like projects at home. 

That way I could game away all afternoon yet still had straight A's.

It worked for me fine, but it doesn't have to for you, so if your grades get worse just dedicate more time to school.

You sir are known as a saint, may GabeN bless your future and make it rich in gaming

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2