The biggest Kickstarter ever failed the first time around raised over $10 million the second time

ETRJ

The Coolest, a tricked-out cooler with a built-in blender, speakers, and USB charger, just set the record for the most-funded Kickstarter campaign ever. At the time of this writing, the project had raised $10,388,188, or 20,805 percent of its goal.

Ten million dollars for a beverage container is an amazing feat. But it's even more astounding considering creator Ryan Grepper launched almost exactly the same campaign ten months ago and failed. He only raised $102,188 on a $125,000 goal.

"When I launched my first campaign for the Coolest last November, I thought that if you started with a good enough idea, people would find it and success was inevitable," Grepper told GeekWire. "When the campaign failed, I took a hard look at what went wrong. I did not give up."

So what did he do differently? Not that much, it turns out.

But the small differences, plus the wisdom of launching a campaign for an outdoor accessory in August rather than November, added up.

Here's Grepper's take:

1. People are much more interested in coolers in the summer rather than the winter.

2. We had a group of passionate supporters from our first campaign, ready to take up the charge and share among their friends.

3. We improved the COOLEST design, took a more targeted marketing approach and focused our video on all the great features offered.

The videos for the two campaigns are almost exactly the same length and feature much of the same footage.

The rewards are very similar, although the new campaign featured a $165-level for "early bird" backers who could get the cooler, and made $2,000 the highest tier rather than $5,000.

The first version of the Coolest had an attachable grill, which Grepper got rid of in version 2.0 due to safety concerns. Otherwise, the second version of the Coolest boasts all the original features as well as a few extras, including built-in storage for utensils and plates, wider wheels, and a USB charger. (The charger was suggested by a backer from the original campaign, and seem like the only feature that may have made a difference, but what do I know.)

Other changes: Grepper asked for $50,000 instead of $125,000. The Kickstarter video shows a final screen that asks people to "please share the video now." The second campaign also featured GIFs and a lengthy FAQ section.

Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/27/6074101/the-biggest-kickstarter-ever-failed-the-first-time-around

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually

First potato salad, now this...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

This is fucking stupid.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is fucking stupid.

Actually after watching the kickstarter video it is actually a really awesome idea.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Kinda cool, except what's he gonna do with that 10m?

What's the power source on this thing, a car battery?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This is fucking stupid.

First potato salad, now this...

Im guessing you have never been to a beach party...? 

This is fuggin glorious, it's something we need.

They ought to have a small solar panel on the lid to run the charger (so you can charge your ipod or phone while it plays music) but also have the option of running it to a car.

I like this idea, now if only it will hold every single beer in the newly released 99 pack of beer (thank you texas for that awesome invention, it's 7 feet long, 3 rows of 33 cans)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This is something that many people will buy and then never use again.

All in all its a great beach tool, but it might get wet or broken eventually.

This is actually really good for me because im a RC Car ners have over 10 RC Cars and i go to races with some of them and races take more than a day so this might be a lifesaver for me :D

Awesome! Now i just need friends! :D

For real doe, i think there aren't that many occasions in life to get out your swaggin Coolest. This is geared towards cooler enthusiasts clearly...

who cares...

While i was watching the video total income raised by 3xxx $, fuck!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Awesome! Now i just need friends! :D

For real doe, i think there aren't that many occasions in life to get out your swaggin Coolest. This is geared towards cooler enthusiasts clearly...

adopt another cat.

This is really cool, but I don't have a use for this.  atleast they created something cool.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I would've wanted the coolest if I didn't already have a large, strurdy Coleman...

It's a really good design though...

It needs a fold out solar panel on the top.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

If I was homeless or a full time camper sure makes perfect sense, but really basically people will buy it and just lose the parts 90% will end up in the back yard collecting solar rays till it decomposes like all coolers do, expect to see them floating in pieces by your local watering hole/ocean in 9 months.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

ill have to see a review first but it looks promising. btw anyone else notice the iPhone joke in the video i found it quite funny.

College frats must be fighting each other over these.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |