Danger of Buying Used Parts?

Go to solution Solved by Virgule,

Planning a build, and i was wondering what the danger, if any of buying used graphics cards and cpus. They would be coming from the used section of amazon, but I still had some concerns regarding their performance. 

Have any of you guys had any experience buying and running used parts? Any tips?

Read this thread

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/63284-buying-used-how-to-test-it-all/

Planning a build, and i was wondering what the danger, if any of buying used graphics cards and cpus. They would be coming from the used section of amazon, but I still had some concerns regarding their performance. 

Have any of you guys had any experience buying and running used parts? Any tips?

No, I would only buy GPUs used. Just be sure they have returns if they are DOA.

Only get used parts if the seller is local because otherwise, you might get a once working part that was literally beaten to death in the post. Tried this once and only once with a HDD from ebay that was pulled from a machine and basically new in terms of never being used. The guy did jack all for packaging it and it arrived DOA. Never again.

I've used both used GPUs and CPUs with no issues. I got from eBay.

If they arrive DOA you get a refund even if not offered as it's not as advertised.

What happens if it gets f***ed during shipping?

I always buy my PC parts new, because I don't like risking my money. return shipping, RMA, etc.. all stuff I don't want to bother doing. I always buy new, and if possible from a store rather than online.

But that's just me, and some people cant afford to buy everything new...

So make sure the product you're buying used comes from a reliable seller, and has a warranty or return policy.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What happens if it gets f***ed during shipping?

Then seller refunds you and he gets his refund from the courier.

Or if he's an idiot and sends £250 electronics over economy he loses £250 as eBay will rule in your favor.

IMO you should never ever ever buy a used PSU. Or buy a cheap PSU. Or show no respect to a PSU. Other components... that depends. 

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

newegg often sells refurbished items. although I personally only buy new, I would recommend it over used. at least you can RMA easily.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

No, I would only buy GPUs used. Just be sure they have returns if they are DOA.

whats the risk with cpus? 

whats the risk with cpus? 

Well I would never buy AMD cpus use because the have pins that could break. But with CPU you don't know if its been over volted or have been running hot. Things that could effect the CPU

Well I would never buy AMD cpus use because the have pins that could break. But with CPU you don't know if its been over volted or have been running hot. Things that could effect the CPU

oh okay, thanks

It doesn't so much depend on the part, rather the seller matters more. Large online retailers that sell refurb/used parts can typically do so with some form of cover, and you know they're not just trying to fob broken parts off as working ones. They typically will have dedicated CS/money back guarantees so it should be fine if anything is wrong.

It doesn't so much depend on the part, rather the seller matters more. Large online retailers that sell refurb/used parts can typically do so with some form of cover, and you know they're not just trying to fob broken parts off as working ones. They typically will have dedicated CS/money back guarantees so it should be fine if anything is wrong.

ever used amazon warehouse for parts?

ever used amazon warehouse for parts?

I haven't no, but if you buy something, just stress test it for a bit and if anything goes wrong within 30 days send it back.

Read this thread

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/63284-buying-used-how-to-test-it-all/

Spoiler