[project] The Monolith

TehGreatPeasant

Hello everyone!

This here's an open discussion on my dream build, that I'm also determined to make my first. The basic concept around this one is basically to build a monolith of a computer, with a black theme to it.

This project, is very much in its preplanned stage, and I don't expect it to actually start unfolding soon (unless a financial miracle happens xD)

Back to cooler stuff.

Component list (will change with recommendations and as new goodies come out) :

Case: Corsair 900D OR Enthoo primo

Mobo: Asus rampage IV black edition

Cpu: Intel i7 4970k

Gpu: George GTX TITAN Black

Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 G

Any help or insight from you guys is greatly appreciated, and will be taken into account :)

Thanks in advance to anyone that comments on the topic, your help is much needed and much appreciated (gotta love shady grammar ;))

-EDIT-

I'm willing to put up to (and no more than) 6K in this system (not adding cost of El Peripherals in here)

This build will primarily be a gaming build with a pretty solid intent of mine to use it as a workstation as well (I study in visual arts and communications, so photoshop Adobe light room, Adobe Premiere are all going to be used quite often)

Hope you reach your dream. But what if new stuff comes out that would be better? Are you going to keep updating it?

titan black and the rampage 4 extreme will soon be outdated.

best cooling is phase change.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@reutrel If new stuff comes our I'm definitely going to take it into account, since this is more of a long term thing for me. The only element I really want to keep in here is the case (unless they release an updated version that I find more interesting, but I doubt that)

@Enderman yeah, I'm pretty aware that the parts will start to get outdated as time goes by, it's not that much of a big deal unless the manufacturers don't release black(er) éditions of their products, and since I'm not a huge diy/madder, I'll change the theme for convenience (although keeping a darker feel is something I'd prefer personally).

As for the cooling, will check that out asap

@reutrel If new stuff comes our I'm definitely going to take it into account, since this is more of a long term thing for me. The only element I really want to keep in here is the case (unless they release an updated version that I find more interesting, but I doubt that)

yeah.

I still like to start planning now to have an estimate of how much monopoly money I'll need to put aside for this rig, so setting it up~ish is a cool step for El planning of the time and organization of how I'll organize my savings for this

Enthoo Primo> 900D

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Enthoo Primo> 900D

I wish I could upvote this a thousand times, any Phanteks case is so much better than any Corsair case (with the exception of the 250 and Air 540 maybe)

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Jesus $6K??! That's insane! $2K would be overkill.

@AMorassOfPixelz yeah, I know it's insane, but I've been putting off building myself a computer for a few years, and I've been exclusively using very low end hardware for all that time, so the need to compensate (and satiate my stupidly "high end" tastes) leaves me to want this type of build. I also just really enjoy saving money for a long time and then just putting it in nice things all at once o3o it feels weirdly good

@CJPowell27 @Homicidium

Yeah, I can see why you'd say that, but it's really a matter of I fell for the D (Haha genital jokes) since Linus unboxed it, and the Enthoo just didn't bring out the same reaction from me :/ although I'd like to know why you'd prefer the Enthoo prime over the 900D :)

@CJPowell27 @Homicidium

Yeah, I can see why you'd say that, but it's really a matter of I fell for the D (Haha genital jokes) since Linus unboxed it, and the Enthoo just didn't bring out the same reaction from me :/ although I'd like to know why you'd prefer the Enthoo prime over the 900D :)

900D is false quality, Enthoo Primo is real quality and overall just built better.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

900D is false quality, Enthoo Primo is real quality and overall just built better.

Alright, I'll give that a good hard look. Also, what kind of PSU do you think should be in this?

Alright, I'll give that a good hard look. Also, what kind of PSU do you think should be in this?

I'm kinda an EVGA power supply fanboy so I would either go with that or a Corsair one.  They're both quality and the cables aren't colored

Evga supernova. It's all high quality, cables are all sleeved, etc.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I'm kinda an EVGA power supply fanboy so I would either go with that or a Corsair one.  They're both quality and the cables aren't colored

Evga supernova. It's all high quality, cables are all sleeved, etc.

Alright, cool :) I was thinking of going with corsair on this PSU, but the evga looks very interesting

Alright, cool :) I was thinking of going with corsair on this PSU, but the evga looks very interesting

Corsair has had some issues in the past with stuff in their PSU's, but that's probably been resolved since then. There is still a change retailers are still stocking the original bad version of the products though. I'd buy EVGA just for safety's sake.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Corsair has had some issues in the past with stuff in their PSU's, but that's probably been resolved since then. There is still a change retailers are still stocking the original bad version of the products though. I'd buy EVGA just for safety's sake.

Thanks for the warning :) looking at reviews as we speak, and the evga looks very promising

I just want to say thanks to everyone that threw in their two cents so far, even though this build is far from being started. It helps a lot and it means a bunch to me :)

Just wondering, how overkill would be the corsair Ax 1500i for this system?

Just wondering, how overkill would be the corsair Ax 1500i for this system?

900 watts overkill

@AMorassOfPixelz yeah, I know it's insane, but I've been putting off building myself a computer for a few years, and I've been exclusively using very low end hardware for all that time, so the need to compensate (and satiate my stupidly "high end" tastes) leaves me to want this type of build. I also just really enjoy saving money for a long time and then just putting it in nice things all at once o3o it feels weirdly good

Yeah, I know how you feel (though to a lesser extent :P)

It's not much, but I had to give my brother my 4S, and so last week, I went ahead and bought a new 4S still in the box, a black Pebble, and some RAM to max out my MacBook (which was an additional 2 to bring it to 4 :o). Not exactly $6K, but it was pretty sweet to get some stuff I've wanted, just because fuck it :lol:

So you're saying 750-800 watts?

With a single GPU yes (even then it's still a lot), at that point you would be losing efficiency according to a video I saw on youtube.com