Best free secure password manager

colonel_mortis

I'm looking for a password manager that I can use to generate and manage secure passwords. These are the features that I'd like it to have:

• Support for multiple devices (ideally it should have a firefox addon (and firefox mobile if possible), and probably an android app), with sync between them
  • High grade encryption to protect the passwords
  • Support for 2 factor authentication to log into the password manager (ideally Google Authenticator support)
  • Ability to generate secure passwords (ideally also being able to configure how secure)
  • Free (because I'm a cheapskate)

So what would you recommend that fills all, or as many as possible, of those criteria?

HTTP/2 203

A good memory with a reasonable capacity to think.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

A good memory.

so you're suggesting that I start remembering that my Google password is "fQfcvr(_443gsQRFA" (it's not!) and my LTT password is similar but different and my... you get the idea.

I want a password manager so that I can step up the security on my accounts.

HTTP/2 203

Lastpass I have been using it for many many months

its great 

plus it generate random passwords as well 

and recognises all the websites password/user name/email properly 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Lastpass I have been using it for many many months

its great 

plus it generate random passwords as well 

I had looked at it, but my only reservation is that the features page implies that you need premium to be able to use the android app, or at least to use it much. At school we aren't able to run our own programs or to install browser extensions, and saving passwords doesn't work (not only is it insecure, but it also doesn't persist across sessions). Do you know what the limit is about that? Because otherwise, it looks great!

HTTP/2 203

I had looked at it, but my only reservation is that the features page implies that you need premium to be able to use the android app, or at least to use it much. At school we aren't able to run our own programs or to install browser extensions, and saving passwords doesn't work (not only is it insecure, but it also doesn't persist across sessions). Do you know what the limit is about that? Because otherwise, it looks great!

Yeah the extension is required..........

and i think its free for 2 weeks on android maybe* 

but you could login from there site and look at your pasword but that isn't that practical 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Yeah the extension is required..........

and i think its free for 2 weeks on android maybe* 

but you could login from there site and look at your pasword but that isn't that practical 

Yeah. Although $12 a year isn't too bad really. Unless anyone else suggests anything better, I think I will probably just get the premium version and get support for an android app as well as a Firefox mobile addon.

HTTP/2 203

Yeah. Although $12 a year isn't too bad really. Unless anyone else suggests anything better, I think I will probably just get the premium version and get support for an android app as well as a Firefox mobile addon.

if its available for firefox as a add on

isn't it free? 

or is the firefox desktop lastpass extension different from firefox mobile lastpass extension? 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

so you're suggesting that I start remembering that my Google password is "fQfcvr(_443gsQRFA" (it's not!) and my LTT password is similar but different and my... you get the idea.

I want a password manager so that I can step up the security on my accounts.

Studies have been done that show random character passwords are NOT that hard to crack. What is actually harder to crack is stringing together several seemingly irrelevant words from the previous. For example;  guitarremotecarmonitorpizzahut, is harder to crack than your example.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

if its available for firefox as a add on

isn't it free? 

or is the firefox desktop lastpass extension different from firefox mobile lastpass extension? 

It's free, but to connect it to a lastpass account you have to pay

Studies have been done that show random character passwords are NOT that hard to crack. What is actually harder to crack is stringing together several seemingly irrelevant words from the previous. For example;  guitarremotecarmonitorpizzahut, is harder to crack than your example.

(the number of years in brackets is how long https://howsecureismypassword.net/ reckons it will take to crack your password, expressed in standard form (they are both septillion years)

So what you're saying is that

guitarremotecarmonitorpizzahut

(30 characters, 22e24 years) is easier to crack than

8Q8QVS272545jTuJjcRhPbN2

(24 characters (the max that random.org would generate) 82e24 years)?

Sure, "qfaW*&44f" is probably less secure than "guitarremotecarmonitorpizzahut", but if you make it long enough, it is much more secure to use a lot of random characters.

HTTP/2 203

LastPass would be my first recommendation as well, in fact it's what I use. It's incredibly well-done and easy to start using and then continue to use but, as others have pointed out, it does cost money. If you're a student you can get 6 months of premium for free though.

KeePass is the only capable alternative I can think of. It's open-source, free (gratis and libre I believe), self-hosted, has browser plugins/extensions and Android and iOS apps, but unfortunately syncing across different devices is a bit tricky.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

It's free, but to connect it to a lastpass account you have to pay

(the number of years in brackets is how long https://howsecureismypassword.net/ reckons it will take to crack your password, expressed in standard form (they are both septillion years)

So what you're saying is that

guitarremotecarmonitorpizzahut

(30 characters, 22e24 years) is easier to crack than

8Q8QVS272545jTuJjcRhPbN2

(24 characters (the max that random.org would generate) 82e24 years)?

Sure, "qfaW*&44f" is probably less secure than "guitarremotecarmonitorpizzahut", but if you make it long enough, it is much more secure to use a lot of random characters.

22e24? Do you realize how enormous of a number that is? 

There's no need to have a more secure password than that...and honestly these days the service you use is more likely to get pwned itself than your actual account get brute forced.

That being said, Dashlane offers most if not all of what you desire and furthermore it hasn't been cracked several times like LastPass has been. KeePass is also good and open source, however it doesn't sync and I don't believe there's a mobile app.

password_strength.png

Describes the issue with passwords. Passphrases are far better for memorization.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm using the good ol' keepass. I have it installed in a thumbdrive and use it whenever/wherever. You can also use the plugin that syncs your data to dropbox just incase your thumbdrive gets corrupted or lost. And it has an android app, not sure about iOS though.

It has a password generator and auto-type function that works not only in your browser, but also works on applications like Steam and Origin on your desktop.