Haswell-E 5960X first OC impressions

Doesn't P95 pull a lot more voltage on Haswell than it's supposed to? I remember that P95 would overwhelm my NH-D15 at stock settings.

Only if you're dumb enough to use adaptive voltage.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Only if you're dumb enough to use adaptive voltage.

What overclocker that has a bit common sense would have adaptive voltage activated for a synthetic stress test ?

Hope I never have to see this haha ;) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

What overclocker that has a bit common sense would have adaptive voltage activated for a synthetic stress test ?

Um, a lot of people on here actually.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Um, a lot of people on here actually.

Well I guess then these guys are more people that are learning how to OC. Someone that´s doing OCs and custom cooling solutions for some years already won´t make such a mistake.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Well I guess then these guys are more people that are learning how to OC. Someone that´s doing OCs and custom cooling solutions for some years already won´t make such a mistake.

Unless they never learned how to do it right in the first place.

Unless they never learned how to do it right in the first place.

As soon as they fry their first chip, and their wallet gets hurt, they´ll never forget again :).

As soon as they fry their first chip, and their wallet gets hurt, they´ll never forget again :).

Eh, not guaranteed unless someone tells them it was the adaptive voltage. Otherwise they scratch their heads.

We didn't have to worry about that before Haswell came along, they might have just assumed that P95 was okay for testing.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

We didn't have to worry about that before Haswell came along, they might have just assumed that P95 was okay for testing.

Yeah but usually you won´t fry your hardware right away... other than you go crazy with a standard heatsink, but in that case no one can help you hehe :).

Sometimes learning can be painful and expensive, I mean I had fried GPUs and stuff when I started with OCing and custom cooling solutions years ago.

update about  5820K

Thanks for the positive comments from everyone!

I had to go out of town for business at the last minute on Monday...so that delayed my testing. Before I left I was able to run a quick overclock on the 5820k. I did not take any screen shots..

I was able to get the 5820k up to 4.5ghz at 1.25v....

I plan on doing some more testing this weekend with the H100i, but am also going to hook up a quad radiator, D5 pump, and Swiftech block and see if there is any more headroom on the 5960x...I will post screenshots of the 5820k results too..

.....and to fuel the debate on DDR4 memory.....here is a quick comparison of DDR3 on X79 and DDR4 on X99...Interesting...again take these with a grain of salt....

X79 DDR3-1866 Cas 9 Passmark memory bench = 3355
X99 DDR4-2666 Cas15 Passmark memory bench = 3028

Each with 4x4gb sticks

I sure hope mature MB bioses are waiting in the wings....

Only 7 days before launch!! biggrin.gif

-M

Think about it .... a 5960X @ 4.4  is the same as having TWO 4790Ks

While impressive, it's a useless fact to those of us (like myself) who wouldn't utilize that cpu's potential.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Jesus those temps are worse than the 9590's

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm