What desktop graphic card does gtx780m compare to?

I have a gaming laptop from asus, and was wondering what kind of desktop graphics card is comparable to the gtx 780m?

Around the 660ti range

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

The GTX 750 TI or around there.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Around the 660ti range

Yeah I heard it was around a gtx 660 or a 660ti...Not sure what the difference is?

So would that make the gtx 780m a good graphics card?

Yeah I heard it was around a gtx 660 or a 660ti...Not sure what the difference is?

So would that make the gtx 780m a good graphics card?

For 1080p gaming. Yes. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The GTX 780M is a GTX 680 with (using johnksss and svl7's modified vBIOS like you should be) 850 core clock and 5000 memory clock. Overclocking these clocks to 1006/6000 will give you exactly a GTX 680 at reference clocks.

At stock 850/5000, it is stronger (core-clock wise) than a GTX 670 with a bit less memory bandwidth, however still more memory bandwidth than a 660Ti.

I highly suggest getting that modified vBIOS, you can find it over at the techinferno forums where you will either need to make 5 posts (which need to be approved by a moderator) before you are able to download, or simply pay $5 and become a premium member to be able to instantly access the downloads if you do not wish to wait.

Before anyone says anything contrary, the 780M has the same 1536 core count and 256-bit mem bus as the 680/770 cards, but with 4GB of vRAM.

Congratulations OP, you have the most desirable mobile GPU currently on the market. The 880M gets too hot and is a bit broken for some reason though nVidia is apparently working on it, so 780Ms are pretty sought after.

The GTX 750 TI or around there.

That's a 860M 2GB version. It's almost 1:1 the same card.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The GTX 780M is a GTX 680 with (using johnksss and svl7's modified vBIOS like you should be) 850 core clock and 5000 memory clock. Overclocking these clocks to 1006/6000 will give you exactly a GTX 680 at reference clocks.

At stock 850/5000, it is stronger (core-clock wise) than a GTX 670 with a bit less memory bandwidth, however still more memory bandwidth than a 660Ti.

I highly suggest getting that modified vBIOS, you can find it over at the techinferno forums where you will either need to make 5 posts (which need to be approved by a moderator) before you are able to download, or simply pay $5 and become a premium member to be able to instantly access the downloads if you do not wish to wait.

Before anyone says anything contrary, the 780M has the same 1536 core count and 256-bit mem bus as the 680/770 cards, but with 4GB of vRAM.

Congratulations OP, you have the most desirable mobile GPU currently on the market. The 880M gets too hot and is a bit broken for some reason though nVidia is apparently working on it, so 780Ms are pretty sought after.

That's a 860M 2GB version. It's almost 1:1 the same card.

Uhh I don't know, this is a pretty new laptop (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-G750JH-DB71-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00EZ8BJNK/ref=psdc1_t3_B00IAACWH6_B00EZ8BJNK#productDetails) So I don't want it to have anything overheat and break on me. I'm looking on the site right now, how safe is it? and will I actually see significant improvements in terms of fps?

Uhh I don't know, this is a pretty new laptop (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-G750JH-DB71-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00EZ8BJNK/ref=psdc1_t3_B00IAACWH6_B00EZ8BJNK#productDetails) So I don't want it to have anything overheat and break on me. I'm looking on the site right now, how safe is it? and will I actually see significant improvements in terms of fps?

Ugh, ASUS. I don't know how good your cooling is so I don't know how good overclocking will work for you, but I do suggest using the modified vBIOS. It made my cards run cooler and more stable, that's for sure. You should see improvements and your card shouldn't throttle itself without reason anymore. At 92 degrees celcius, your card *WILL* downclock itself and prevent thermal damage. That's how all the mobile high-end kepler cards work as a principle and you can't raise this threshold, though I believe it can be lowered.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Asus cooling system uses dual fan and copper heatpipe and fins

it cools much better than other solutions

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Asus cooling system uses dual fan and copper heatpipe and fins

it cools much better than other solutions

At the last I've seen, it's not on the level of Alienware, Clevo or MSI, which is why I don't know how well it handles 780Ms/Haswell, which for all intents and purposes, are exceedingly hot. Compared to HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc? Sure. ASUS owns it all. But the other thing is that they're notorious for being hard to upgrade/fix manually. I haven't even seen many people talking about the newer ASUS models over on Notebookreview... which isn't a great sign xD.

At the last I've seen, it's not on the level of Alienware, Clevo or MSI, which is why I don't know how well it handles 780Ms/Haswell, which for all intents and purposes, are exceedingly hot. Compared to HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc? Sure. ASUS owns it all. But the other thing is that they're notorious for being hard to upgrade/fix manually. I haven't even seen many people talking about the newer ASUS models over on Notebookreview... which isn't a great sign xD.

oddly yea noticed nobody has review the new Asus notebooks

although for my region, it did get the editor's choice as the best value gamer notebooks but the Ailenware comes in 1st for performance and Aftershock/Clevo got close second.

the deal breaker for me was the Asus only has a 5400rpm HDD instead of a Hybrid or SSD

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

oddly yea noticed nobody has review the new Asus notebooks

although for my region, it did get the editor's choice as the best value gamer notebooks but the Ailenware comes in 1st for performance and Aftershock/Clevo got close second.

the deal breaker for me was the Asus only has a 5400rpm HDD instead of a Hybrid or SSD

Best gamer value at this point is either MSI or Clevo. Clevo is cheapest with (if you fix the heatsinks, which sadly have a tendency to be warped sometimes, but can be lapped) the best cooling around, and MSI has better onboard sound/better keyboard/etc. Alienware is exceedingly expensive, but apparently there are ways to get the price down when buying if you know what you're doing, and it requires almost no modification to get the best out of its cooling systems.

Also, if you're like me and live in an area where anything remotely alienware = steal-bait, Clevo offers a nice option where you can get business-like looks (like I have). Also, Clevo laptops tend to have more lax warranties; such as: I can change parts in my computer and have the rest of my computer still under warranty as long as changing the part doesn't break my computer. Or modifying my vRAM. Or overclocking. Hell, my computer from Mythlogic CAME with Intel XTU on the driver disc. My BIOS is also partially unlocked and I can OC/OV/UV inside of there.

Best gamer value at this point is either MSI or Clevo. Clevo is cheapest with (if you fix the heatsinks, which sadly have a tendency to be warped sometimes, but can be lapped) the best cooling around, and MSI has better onboard sound/better keyboard/etc. Alienware is exceedingly expensive, but apparently there are ways to get the price down when buying if you know what you're doing, and it requires almost no modification to get the best out of its cooling systems.

Also, if you're like me and live in an area where anything remotely alienware = steal-bait, Clevo offers a nice option where you can get business-like looks (like I have). Also, Clevo laptops tend to have more lax warranties; such as: I can change parts in my computer and have the rest of my computer still under warranty as long as changing the part doesn't break my computer. Or modifying my vRAM. Or overclocking. Hell, my computer from Mythlogic CAME with Intel XTU on the driver disc. My BIOS is also partially unlocked and I can OC/OV/UV inside of there.

well anything related to gaming laptops is stupid expensive

all start from 2 grand onwards :/

I don't know, I guess it is expensive, but although my laptop is really heavy and pretty expensive, these specs aren't too bad for a portable laptop Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz (Turbo 3.4GHz) Haswell 24 GB DDR3; HD Version 128GB SSD * 2 + 1TB 5400 RPM HDD, Nvidia GTX780M 4GB GDDR5.

Ugh, ASUS. I don't know how good your cooling is so I don't know how good overclocking will work for you, but I do suggest using the modified vBIOS. It made my cards run cooler and more stable, that's for sure. You should see improvements and your card shouldn't throttle itself without reason anymore. At 92 degrees celcius, your card *WILL* downclock itself and prevent thermal damage. That's how all the mobile high-end kepler cards work as a principle and you can't raise this threshold, though I believe it can be lowered.

I don't know how good the fans on my asus laptop. It has dual rear-venting fans but that's pretty much all I know. Well I made a few posts on that website, hopefully they all get accepted, and I can try out the modified vBIOS. How much of an improvement do you think I can expect?

GTX 660, wich means capable of playing games at 1080P on mostly high/medium settings no AA

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

GTX 660, wich means capable of playing games at 1080P on mostly high/medium settings no AA

Read the thread a little

They're really not THAT expensive when you consider everything they come with. A fairly good screen, a keyboard, mouse-type device, weak UPS (battery), wifi card, fairly robust cooling (if you get a good machine, as I explained earlier) etc. If you know what you're getting, you're usually only spending ~300-400 more than getting the same (or equivalent) parts in a desktop, which honestly isn't a terrible cost sink for the portability in my opinion. This isn't to say I would tell EVERYONE to get a gaming laptop, mind you. I do agree it's a more niche market, but a lot of desktop-only users completely misunderstand the market.

With laptops, you don't get diminishing returns until you buy the extreme i7 CPU and you never get it with GPUs; whereas in desktops, after you hit entry-level high end, the diminishing returns appear. The more you spend in a laptop is the closer it becomes to desktop hardware in cost. The reason is because the laptops have much more hardware in it, which needs to be of a certain quality usually, like the screen/keyboard/cooling/etc I mentioned above. At low cost prices, the rest of the parts in the machine suffer more. So the higher you get, the better the returns.

I don't know how good the fans on my asus laptop. It has dual rear-venting fans but that's pretty much all I know. Well I made a few posts on that website, hopefully they all get accepted, and I can try out the modified vBIOS. How much of an improvement do you think I can expect?

It depends on how much your card throttles itself currently. Mine didn't throttle much but I got a lot of artifacting due to 120Hz. Your card is likely a 771 MHz runner, so that's a 79MHz core increase just using the vBIOS, so you may see a bit of an improvement. If your card ran at the 823MHz boost constant, it'll be less of an improvement, but those cards' stock vBIOS is odd and may or may not work too right. So no way of knowing unless you monitor your sensors all the time. I will say that for the 780M, the vBIOS is definitely something of a necessity.

I also suggest you introduce yourself over at http://forum.notebookreview.com and get yourself familiar with care of your laptop and such. The people over there (usually) know what they're talking about, especially if you hang around the Alienware and Clevo forums a bit. The guys in the ASUS forum will help ya out with your computer I think.

They're really not THAT expensive when you consider everything they come with. A fairly good screen, a keyboard, mouse-type device, weak UPS (battery), wifi card, fairly robust cooling (if you get a good machine, as I explained earlier) etc. If you know what you're getting, you're usually only spending ~300-400 more than getting the same (or equivalent) parts in a desktop, which honestly isn't a terrible cost sink for the portability in my opinion. This isn't to say I would tell EVERYONE to get a gaming laptop, mind you. I do agree it's a more niche market, but a lot of desktop-only users completely misunderstand the market.

With laptops, you don't get diminishing returns until you buy the extreme i7 CPU and you never get it with GPUs; whereas in desktops, after you hit entry-level high end, the diminishing returns appear. The more you spend in a laptop is the closer it becomes to desktop hardware in cost. The reason is because the laptops have much more hardware in it, which needs to be of a certain quality usually, like the screen/keyboard/cooling/etc I mentioned above. At low cost prices, the rest of the parts in the machine suffer more. So the higher you get, the better the returns.

It depends on how much your card throttles itself currently. Mine didn't throttle much but I got a lot of artifacting due to 120Hz. Your card is likely a 771 MHz runner, so that's a 79MHz core increase just using the vBIOS, so you may see a bit of an improvement. If your card ran at the 823MHz boost constant, it'll be less of an improvement, but those cards' stock vBIOS is odd and may or may not work too right. So no way of knowing unless you monitor your sensors all the time. I will say that for the 780M, the vBIOS is definitely something of a necessity.

I also suggest you introduce yourself over at http://forum.notebookreview.com and get yourself familiar with care of your laptop and such. The people over there (usually) know what they're talking about, especially if you hang around the Alienware and Clevo forums a bit. The guys in the ASUS forum will help ya out with your computer I think.

Alright thanks a ton!

Read the thread a little

you are litteraly fabulating if you'd think a 780m offers the performance a 680 desktop graphics card buddy ;)

There you go, compared with the GTX 760 wich is a much weaker GPU than a 680:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780M-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

The performance of the 780m is directly in-line with a GTX 660, it's a tiny bit better but not as good as a 660ti and certainly nowhere near as good as a 680.

Here 780M vs 660ti, the 660ti is a noticeably stronger GPU:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780M-vs-GeForce-GTX-660-Ti

The specs won't mean anything when it comes down to laptop GPU's, sorry...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you are litteraly fabulating if you'd think a 780m offers the performance a 680 desktop graphics card buddy ;)

There you go, compared with the GTX 760 wich is a much weaker GPU than a 680:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780M-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

The performance of the 780m is directly in-line with a GTX 660, it's a tiny bit better but not as good as a 660ti and certainly nowhere near as good as a 680.

Here 780M vs 660ti, the 660ti is a noticeably stronger GPU:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-780M-vs-GeForce-GTX-660-Ti

The specs won't mean anything when it comes down to laptop GPU's, sorry...

First of all... *points to SLI 780Ms in sig* Do you have them? No? Okay, good.

Second of all, please show me two 660Tis, or two 760s in SLI at the same card clocks shown here beating this score in 3D mark 11. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7777617

Or let's just go to firestrike, a more recent one; show me two 760s or 660Tis at the card clocks shown here beating this score please. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1461029

I'll help you with this last one though, here's the highest valid-result 660Ti SLI on the site: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2356942

And here's the highest valid-result 760 SLI on the site: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/767802 wins by under 400 points; but has a 5GHz i7-3930k and the cards are clocked to 1201 core and... 14512MHz memory?? Going by the 660Ti and 780M benchmarks, the actual memory clock is shown; needing it to be multiplied by 4, giving 14512MHz. Even if that's somehow the doubled clock, it's still a 7256MHz mem clock.

So... what about the 780Ms being as good as a 660?

Listen, if you don't know anything about laptop video cards aside from checking a site like gpuboss, please don't try to push your knowledge as firsthand. Hmph. Telling ME I'm wrong when I'm the one with 780Ms... hmph.

First of all... *points to SLI 780Ms in sig* Do you have them? No? Okay, good.

Second of all, please show me two 660Tis, or two 760s in SLI at the same card clocks shown here beating this score in 3D mark 11. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7777617

Or let's just go to firestrike, a more recent one; show me two 760s or 660Tis at the card clocks shown here beating this score please. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1461029

I'll help you with this last one though, here's the highest valid-result 660Ti SLI on the site: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2356942

And here's the highest valid-result 760 SLI on the site: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/767802 wins by under 400 points; but has a 5GHz i7-3930k and the cards are clocked to 1201 core and... 14512MHz memory?? Going by the 660Ti and 780M benchmarks, the actual memory clock is shown; needing it to be multiplied by 4, giving 14512MHz. Even if that's somehow the doubled clock, it's still a 7256MHz mem clock.

So... what about the 780Ms being as good as a 660?

Listen, if you don't know anything about laptop video cards aside from checking a site like gpuboss, please don't try to push your knowledge as firsthand. Hmph. Telling ME I'm wrong when I'm the one with 780Ms... hmph.

DUDE: You are running your test at 720P witgh only 1x Anti-aliasing where the other results you've linked where posted using the extreme preset at 1080P with 4X MSAA...BRO these a totaly two different things...your 780M i'm glad you are happy with them it's because you play at 720P on your lap-top but trust me at 1080P they perform exactly in line with two GTX660 anyone in here will confirm you this! sorry...

DUDE: You are running your test at 720P witgh only 1x Anti-aliasing where the other results you've linked where posted using the extreme preset at 1080P with 4X MSAA...BRO these a totaly two different things...your 780M i'm glad you are happy with them it's because you play at 720P on your lap-top but trust me at 1080P they perform exactly in line with two GTX660 anyone in here will confirm you this! sorry...

Extreme preset? ALL the tests used default preset. I did not link you firestrike extreme. And that isn't my laptop in the benchmarks. Listen bro, if you really wanna be stupid like that, go ahead. But don't spread your stupidity to people who honestly have no idea about what things actually work like and are willing to learn.

Extreme preset? ALL the tests used default preset. I did not link you firestrike extreme. And that isn't my laptop in the benchmarks. Listen bro, if you really wanna be stupid like that, go ahead. But don't spread your stupidity to people who honestly have no idea about what things actually work like and are willing to learn.

i'm telling you those 780M that you've linked where benchmarked at 720P while all the other valid desktop GPU results are at 1080P resolution, this is why there results are so good...call me stupid but this is a reality and you'll be reported for being unrespecful! you are the one missleading people in here, not me...get your facts right okay! ;)

i'm telling you those 780M that you've linked where benchmarked at 720P while all the other valid desktop GPU results are at 1080P resolution, this is why there results are so good...call me stupid but this is a reality and you'll be reported for being unrespecful! you are the one missleading people in here, not me...get your facts right okay! ;)

"Default settings used" = default settings, including resolution. ALL three firestrike links use default resolution. There is NOTHING else on that list to suggest they used different resolutions. Stop lying and pulling transparent straws from your hats just because you've been proven wrong. It takes a hexacore i7 at 5GHz and SERIOUSLY OC'd 760s especially with a pretty unrealistic memory clock to beat the 780Ms in fire strike, and the 660Tis can't even do it. You've been proven wrong. Unless you have some other proof that you have neglected to bring to the table aside from your gpuboss links, which don't even touch the modified vBIOS, which prevents unnecessary throttling of the card when not at the heat limit of 92 degrees celcius?

Buuuut if you had that, you'd have shown it already. So you don't. So stop giving people the incorrect idea. Laptop hardware is stronger than you want to admit. Deal with it instead of spreading misinformation.