Asus ROG Swift vs ASUS 27" PA279Q

Aughrox

Hi!

As the title refer I need help choosing between these two monitors: Asus ROG Swift and Asus PA279Q.

My rig will be the new Haswell-E with:

Cpu: 5930k

Gpu: 2x nvidia gtx 980 or 780ti

Ram: 16-32

All with Acrylic custom water cooling.

I need a good monitor to go with this set up.

I am a visual and graphic geek and want both speed and colors in the monitor.

I will mostly play RPG/Adventure-games, and little FPS.

The monitor should also go well with contrast for "Star Citizens".

I do a little video editing aswell.

Max pricing have to be 1500 dollars.

Other monitors with same spec are more than welcome.

TN vs IPS or PLS?

Or Maybe VA?  ;) 

Thanks in advance!!

Intel 5930k@4.5Ghz, EVGA SC GTX 980Sli, Asus x99 Deluxe, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4, Evga 850 Gold, 2x Samsung 850Evo Raid0 WD Black 2TB,  Custom Watercooled

IPS / PLS / IGZO >>>>>>> TN!

Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q x 2 for under 1500$ should be easily possible!

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Get a 30" 2560x1600 IPS monitor since you clearly have the budget for it. You're not going to be playing fps games? Then the rog swift serves no real purpose. 

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

If you want great color reproduction go with the PA279Q, but if you're playing games the get the ROG Swift, which has great response time, G-Sync, low motion blur and 3d Vision support 

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Dell 30" UltraSharp U3014 IPS 

would be a better choice then the rog swft and Asus PA279Q?

Games are prior and I want to get immersed by it. I hate motion blur and ghosting and screen tearing,

want that sweet spot whit good colors and speed.   

Intel 5930k@4.5Ghz, EVGA SC GTX 980Sli, Asus x99 Deluxe, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4, Evga 850 Gold, 2x Samsung 850Evo Raid0 WD Black 2TB,  Custom Watercooled

No FPS, no ROG Swift

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I have to imagine that most of the people making recommendations here haven't actually tried both of them...

I just replaced the PA279Q on my desk with the RoG Swift. I know I've long been an advocate for IPS/PLS displays, but.... the RoG Swift is in a league of its own, and G-SYNC is a killer feature.

NO, the colours are not as good, and YES the viewing angles are not as good, but I can live with that for this smoothness. It's not like older G-SYNC monitors that were really bad.

I have to imagine that most of the people making recommendations here haven't actually tried both of them...

I just replaced the PA279Q on my desk with the RoG Swift. I know I've long been an advocate for IPS/PLS displays, but.... the RoG Swift is in a league of its own, and G-SYNC is a killer feature.

NO, the colours are not as good, and YES the viewing angles are not as good, but I can live with that for this smoothness. It's not like older G-SYNC monitors that were really bad.

Obviously not. I mean, not all of us have the luxury of testing monitors before it's released to the public. That still doesn't change the fact that it's a monitor for the die hard gamer, and not your average user.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

What do you actually have on your desk, I thought you were using the 34um95 now?

Or is this an entirely different set up?

@OP it sounds like your criteria matches the PA279Q more than the Swift on paper at least, it'll be better colour wise, but not so smooth, but 120/144hz is more in-demand for FPS games than action/RPG games, so how much difference it'll make I cannot say since I've never owned a higher-than-60 hertz monitor.

What do you actually have on your desk, I thought you were using the 34um95 now?

Or is this an entirely different set up?

@OP it sounds like your criteria matches the PA279Q more than the Swift on paper at least, it'll be better colour wise, but not so smooth, but 120/144hz is more in-demand for FPS games than action/RPG games, so how much difference it'll make I cannot say since I've never owned a higher-than-60 hertz monitor.

I'm using the LG 34UM95 at work and the RoG Swift at home.

Each of the montiors we're talking about has strengths and weaknesses. The PA is truly beautiful, the LG changed the way I use my computer for productivity and makes for a very immersive gaming experience, and the RoG Swift is so.... responsive that it really makes everything about the PC feel faster - and it manages to do that while achieving reasonable contrast and colour.

Each of the montiors we're talking about has strengths and weaknesses. The PA is truly beautiful, the LG changed the way I use my computer for productivity and makes for a very immersive gaming experience, and the RoG Swift is so.... responsive that it really makes everything about the PC feel faster - and it manages to do that while achieving reasonable contrast and colour.

Right, I see, I had always thought you worked from home given the reviews in the kitchen :P

So given the emphasis on work at work, and relaxation at home, would it be fair to assume you prefer the Swift over the 34UM95 for gaming, despite having the lesser FoV and colour reproduction, which you stated in your review of that monitor you view as more important than the "lightning fast response times of TN"?

So you're saying it's worth it even if he doesnt play fps extensively? Thought that was the main reason people bought these monitors.

i74790k | Hyper 212 EVO |16gb 1600mhz Corsair Sport | Z97 Gigabyte Ga.G1 Sniper Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 970 | 250GB 840 EVO | 3TB 7200RPM WD Black | Fractal Define R4 | Corsair K70 Red | Logitech G502 | Sennheiser HD598 + Fidelio X2 | Blue Yeti Microphone | Dell P2414h + Dell S2340m

Right, I see, I had always thought you worked from home given the reviews in the kitchen :P

So given the emphasis on work at work, and relaxation at home, would it be fair to assume you prefer the Swift over the 34UM95 for gaming, despite having the lesser FoV and colour reproduction, which you stated in your review of that monitor you view as more important than the "lightning fast response times of TN"?

Swift is a better TN than any I've used before, so that was a HUGE factor in my decision.

The great FoV is a huge advantage for certain types of games though. If I was big into racing games, I'd be all over the 34UM95 for gaming.

Colors does not have a U in it

Swift is a better TN than any I've used before, so that was a HUGE factor in my decision.

The great FoV is a huge advantage for certain types of games though. If I was big into racing games, I'd be all over the 34UM95 for gaming.

People big on racing sims though typically opt for a multi-monitor setup when they can though, which given the price of the LG monitor is perfectly affordable. Three u2414h's being around £300 less than the 34UM95 here in the UK :/

I'd be all for it at a more reasonable price, and I totally understand the appeal of it since as a student I'm writing long essays, and having my essay, an article or two and a bibliography open at once would be helpful, but three monitors will be cheaper, and I can spread the costs.

I really can't get on board with the Swift though, it offers too little for too much money for me.

It does in the UK, where we speak proper English, and where the language comes from... You've dumbed down English. Bloody Yanks.

Wow. @LinusTech himself....2nd only to Gabe N., is knighting a TN panel as worthy. Hopefully we see less of these IPS vs TN "wars"...for now. At least until a new panel technology reveals itself.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Wow. @LinusTech himself....2nd only to Gabe N., is knighting a TN panel as worthy. Hopefully we see less of these IPS vs TN "wars"...for now. At least until a new panel technology reveals itself.

At the end of the day nothing has changed, TN is still TN and has the same benefits and drawbacks as always, same goes for IPS. And so it continues :P

I really can't get on board with the Swift though, it offers too little for too much money for me.

Please explain this. It offers just about everything TN monitors can, where is it lacking?

It does in the UK, where we speak proper English, and where the language comes from... You've dumbed down English. Bloody Yanks.

It also does here in Australia. As well as "harbour" (like the Sydney Harbour Bridge) and "favour" and "flavour" and many, many others.

I guess you yanks can't afford the "u". Tis quite unfortunate. :P

It's good to see @LinusTech using proper english. Good on ya mate! :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hi!

As the title refer I need help choosing between these two monitors: Asus ROG Swift and Asus PA279Q.

My rig will be the new Broadwell with:

Cpu: 5930k

Gpu: 2x nvidia gtx 880

Ram: 16-32

All with custom water cooling.

I need a good monitor to go with this set up.

I am a visual and graphic geek and want both speed and colors in the monitor.

I will mostly play RPG/Adventure-games, and little FPS.

The monitor should also go well with contrast for "Star Citizens".

I do a little video editing aswell.

Max pricing have to be 1500 dollars.

Other monitors with same spec are more than welcome.

TN vs IPS or PLS?

Or Maybe VA?  ;) 

Thanks in advance!!

Honestly, by the time the 880s come out, do you not think other Gsync monitors will be announced/released? I wouldn't limit myself to today's displays if I was planning on next year's build. Another waiting thread...

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Honestly, by the time the 880s come out, do you not think other Gsync monitors will be announced/released? I wouldn't limit myself to today's displays if I was planning on next year's build. Another waiting thread...

Depends what you want lol...

Playing games at 4k with 60fps or at 1440p with 120fps+ 

The gtx 880 should be a good 1440p card. If the OP is not getting the swift then SLI would be a waste. 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Please explain this. It offers just about everything TN monitors can, where is it lacking?

If productivity is king then it is inadequate, I'd be better off getting three monitors. For me productivity is king. I also have sensitive eyes and would prefer a screen that doesn't use PWM (I don't know if the Swift does or doesn't). The very fact it is a TN screen hinders it for me. I don't play FPS games at all and I don't believe you can notice a few milliseconds difference when a human eye takes 300-400ms to blink, and how often do you notice that? Also having only one input is a downside, since although Gsync only works with DP, I have more than one thing plugged into a monitor at once. A HDMI port would have been nice, with a sign indicating what to use for Gsync.

At the end of the day, there's more interesting, novel, or beneficial ways to spend £700 to improve your gaming experience.

It also does here in Australia. As well as "harbour" (like the Sydney Harbour Bridge) and "favour" and "flavour" and many, many others.

I guess you yanks can't afford the "u". Tis quite unfortunate. :P

It's good to see @LinusTech using proper english. Good on ya mate! :D

I guess the prisoners were taught to read and write well ;)

At the end of the day, there's more interesting, novel, or beneficial ways to spend £700 to improve your gaming experience.

The PG278Q offers the best gaming expierence so far, specifically FPS gaming, and like you said, you don't play FPS at all, so that justifies this monitor not being good for you, but this monitor is perfect for someone like me who wants the best out of their gaming experience, on PC atleast, I do have a IPS for my console.