Asus ROG Swift vs ASUS 27" PA279Q

Aughrox

The PG278Q offers the best gaming expierence so far, specifically FPS gaming, and like you said, you don't play FPS at all, so that justifies this monitor not being good for you, but this monitor is perfect for someone like me who wants the best out of their gaming experience, on PC atleast, I do have a IPS for my console.

Each to their own. This monitor just doesn't make sense for me, and I could never justify that kind of spend to myself, that's all.

If you do get it then I hope you enjoy it! :)

I think the OP should go with the ROG Monitor since he is looking into the SLI setup and most likely to play games.

I want to jump into this topic without hijacking it since I'm in similar situation looking to upgrade my monitor. My only question, if someone can predict maybe Mr. LINUS

how future prof is ROG Monitor or maybe when can we expect a 120 Hz IPS Panel with g-sync?

when can we expect a 120 Hz IPS Panel with g-sync?

Most likely never going to happen. As far as how future proof the rog monitor is? Only you can decide for yourself. Typically, the technology improves greatly every five years or so.

If you buy the rog monitor now, you'll be fine until 2019.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

• 1 month later...

@Aughrox

what did you do in the end? I'm in exactly the same boat; same price range and same games played (some fps but mainly single player action/rpg). I currently have a a dell 2709w ips, which is great, but time to upgrade to a 1440p monitor I think.

I'm leaning toward the rog swift over an ips at the mo, but then I've never seen gaming >60hz, g-sync, or lightboost, (I'm a big fan of 3d gaming, but it seems support is dropping off for this) so am thinking I may have to just buy it and return it if I decide its not for me. I'm picking up two 980's, so should get high fps in most games.

I have to imagine that most of the people making recommendations here haven't actually tried both of them...

I just replaced the PA279Q on my desk with the RoG Swift. I know I've long been an advocate for IPS/PLS displays, but.... the RoG Swift is in a league of its own, and G-SYNC is a killer feature.

NO, the colours are not as good, and YES the viewing angles are not as good, but I can live with that for this smoothness. It's not like older G-SYNC monitors that were really bad.

As you can see even Linus himself prefers Swift over a top IPS monitor and he has tried them both. Do you still need any advice? :)

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

@Aughrox

what did you do in the end? I'm in exactly the same boat; same price range and same games played (some fps but mainly single player action/rpg). I currently have a a dell 2709w ips, which is great, but time to upgrade to a 1440p monitor I think.

I'm leaning toward the rog swift over an ips at the mo, but then I've never seen gaming >60hz, g-sync, or lightboost, (I'm a big fan of 3d gaming, but it seems support is dropping off for this) so am thinking I may have to just buy it and return it if I decide its not for me. I'm picking up two 980's, so should get high fps in most games.

I apologize for the late reply.

I went with the Asus RoG Swift after a long concidiration. 

I have spent a bit over a month with it and I have to say, I don't regret my decition.

The swift makes gaming a real pleasure and I don't even miss the colores it lacks compared to an IPS. That high refresh rate and G-synk tops it all. 

Even the viewing angles are suprisingly good.

The only complain I have is some minor buggs. 

The turbo-button that swifts between different refresh-rates is broken and will only tell the current 60,120,144hrz and not cycle between them (I have read about many with the same problem but it might just be my bad luck :) ).

I also have some trouble keeping 144hz after a restart, but I fixed it by backrolling the drivers for the graficcard.

I will still warmly recomend Swift for any gamer, casual or hardcore- user. The elimination of motionblurr is to good to miss out on!

Happy Hunting! :)

Intel 5930k@4.5Ghz, EVGA SC GTX 980Sli, Asus x99 Deluxe, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4, Evga 850 Gold, 2x Samsung 850Evo Raid0 WD Black 2TB,  Custom Watercooled

Thanks for reporting back. I'm waiting on tiger direct's shipment of swifts on the 30th. Hopefully the monitor will be sitting in my room not long after that. I'll also be posting be build here, stay tuned: it's a monster.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to th eparty I know, but what are your th oughts on buying one of each  monitor so that you have the best of both worlds? Play games on the ROG and use the PA for project work?

Barring that, would you recommend the BenQ BL3200PT, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifU4ZWWZNb8, as kind of a middle ground: a monitor that is good for both gaming and design?

I like the out of the box calibration of the PA and color accuracy, split screen, and even the ruler on the monitor frame, but I also want to game. I've been researching monitors for so long that I'm completely purchase paralyzed.

Uses:

Graphic/Web design and 3D modeling

Gaming: FPS (not competitive by any means), RPGs, MMO (Specifically ESO for now), and that's about it.

Anything will be better than my Velocity Micro I have now that doesn't even get full HD.

Thanks for any advice.

Late to th eparty I know, but what are your th oughts on buying one of each  monitor so that you have the best of both worlds? Play games on the ROG and use the PA for project work?

Barring that, would you recommend the BenQ BL3200PT, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifU4ZWWZNb8, as kind of a middle ground: a monitor that is good for both gaming and design?

I like the out of the box calibration of the PA and color accuracy, split screen, and even the ruler on the monitor frame, but I also want to game. I've been researching monitors for so long that I'm completely purchase paralyzed.

Uses:

Graphic/Web design and 3D modeling

Gaming: FPS (not competitive by any means), RPGs, MMO (Specifically ESO for now), and that's about it.

Anything will be better than my Velocity Micro I have now that doesn't even get full HD.

Thanks for any advice.

I feel you - frustration. The monitor marsh is a big one and the more knowledge I gather the more confused I get.

I got the Rog Swift and I am still amazed by it and would recommend it for any gamer.

Some things to consider!

Bare in mind that 32inc is a really big monitor and if you sit close to it it will probably get uncomfortable.

Getting both will be really expensive but off course solve the problem.

Benq is good in both worlds but not great in any of them.

The swift rule the land of gaming.

Asus PA279Q is the best on color reproduction.

Decide what is most important for you.

Smoothness in game or colour accuracy.

Hope This Helps.

Good Luck

Intel 5930k@4.5Ghz, EVGA SC GTX 980Sli, Asus x99 Deluxe, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4, Evga 850 Gold, 2x Samsung 850Evo Raid0 WD Black 2TB,  Custom Watercooled

Hi Aughrox,

It doesn't help completely, but thank you for the words. I'm sitting near to 3 feet from my current monitor and i co uld probably back it up further (not much more if i were to go to a 32" monitor though).

I'm just waiting for an IPS or something similar with g-sync. Then i'd be set for speed and color (light bleed on the otherhand may still be a detractor).

Sigh, maybe i'll just go for the PA and see how my gaming goes from there.

For anyone with a 27" 1440 monitor, how small is the text and how hard is it to read?

Thanks again.

I do congratulate OP on his new purchase. But it is bugging me now.

I know it must have been asked over and over, but in general. But if I decide to buy ROG Swift monitor, is my current setup decent enough to run most of the modern games on high details? You know, to fully utilize the G-Sync.

The rig is in the signature.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

I do congratulate OP on his new purchase. But it is bugging me now.

I know it must have been asked over and over, but in general. But if I decide to buy ROG Swift monitor, is my current setup decent enough to run most of the modern games on high details? You know, to fully utilize the G-Sync.

The rig is in the signature.

1440p is a demanding resolution even for my graphic power, but you should be fine due to G-sync work the most at 40-60 frames

So in low fps dips your gameplay stays smooth.

144hz really makes it all even while only browsing the net or idle!

Higher frames in games are only a plus.

Better monitors that will utilize G-sync in a better way are probably on the way but as for now, Rog Swift is the one and only choice for a gamer in my opinion.

Running with:

Asus X99 Deluxe

GTX 980sli

16GB Corsair Dominator platinum

Good Luck!

Hi Aughrox,

It doesn't help completely, but thank you for the words. I'm sitting near to 3 feet from my current monitor and i co uld probably back it up further (not much more if i were to go to a 32" monitor though).

I'm just waiting for an IPS or something similar with g-sync. Then i'd be set for speed and color (light bleed on the otherhand may still be a detractor).

Sigh, maybe i'll just go for the PA and see how my gaming goes from there.

For anyone with a 27" 1440 monitor, how small is the text and how hard is it to read?

Thanks again.

I agree that you should wait to buy a monitor.

I think a really good IPS 1440p with G-sync is around the corner and will probably fit your needs perfectly.

On the other hand you might be waiting forever :P

As Mr Linus has said so many times. 1440p on 27" hits the sweet spot with scale and resolution.

Hope someone with better knowlege answer you need better then I can.

1440p is a demanding resolution even for my graphic power, but you should be fine due to G-sync work the most at 40-60 frames

So in low fps dips your gameplay stays smooth.

144hz really makes it all even while only browsing the net or idle!

Higher frames in games are only a plus.

Better monitors that will utilize G-sync in a better way are probably on the way but as for now, Rog Swift is the one and only choice for a gamer in my opinion.

Running with:

Asus X99 Deluxe

GTX 980sli

16GB Corsair Dominator platinum

Good Luck!

Meh... I will probably wait. I do not have enough horsepower for it. I do have the money, but I am not sure whether I am willing to spend them now. 

I think, I'll stick to my original plan and wait for Skylake. 

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB