"How many watts do I need"? Check Here!

Aniallation

I am thinking about upgrading my GPU from a Nvidia Geforce GT 620 to a Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 TI what is the least amount of power will i need to be able to play games?

I have used various PSU calculators to determine what I need:

• powersupplycalculator.net/ - 271W
  • coolermaster.outervision.com/ - 283W
  • msi.com/power-supply-calculator - 226W
  • others e.g. Asus - 500W+​

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.3GHz x1

RAM: 4GB DDR3 x2

GPU: NVidia GeForce GT 620 - 1GB​ x1

HDD: 1TB x1

PSU: Standard 300W x1

Cooling: Fans x2

Sound: Integrated

OS Win 10 64-Bit

Thanks for reading

any good 400 or more Wat PSU should be fine as the 750 ti is not very power hungry

any good 400 or more Wat PSU should be fine as the 750 ti is not very power hungry

will it work with my current 300W psu?

will it work with my current 300W psu?

it may. which brand do you have?

but to be safe go with at least 400W

You'd be pushing it a bit. I'd consider upgrading if you can. Even something lower-end like an Antec VP450 would give you much more headroom than that.

How close are am I for exceeding 300 watts - many watts would I be off?

I think I have an old 400W power supply somewhere. Would that be better?

or what about this?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/power-supplies/corsair-builder-series-cx430-fixed-atx-psu-430-w-19736919-pdt.html

How close are am I for exceeding 300 watts - many watts would I be off?

I think I have an old 400W power supply somewhere. Would that be better?

or what about this?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/power-supplies/corsair-builder-series-cx430-fixed-atx-psu-430-w-19736919-pdt.html

In reality your PSU only has 216W (that's actually useful), so you'll be very close if not already exceeding it.

Corsair CX is not a good choice for an OEM replacement, since it has a low ambient temp rating, and the inside of OEM cases can get hot under load, easily exceeding the 30c rating of the CX.

"Rawr XD"

In reality your PSU only has 216W (that's actually useful), so you'll be very close if not already exceeding it.

Corsair CX is not a good choice for an OEM replacement, since it has a low ambient temp rating, and the inside of OEM cases can get hot under load, easily exceeding the 30c rating of the CX.

well I don't really have much money for anything after spending £110 on a new graphics card. so what's the cheapest power pack on pc world that will be good for me? and would the new card actually work on a 300W power supply because I think it is only 11W more than my current one.

What would happen if I were to exceed 300W?

I'm pretty sure Antec didn't provide an operating temperature rating for the VP series. When companies does that for an entry-level power supply, it usually mean it's rated for 25C.

CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.3GHz x1

RAM: 4GB DDR3 x2

GPU: NVidia GeForce GT 620 - 1GB​ x1

HDD: 1TB x1

PSU: Standard 300W x1

Cooling: Fans x2

Sound: Integrated

OS Win 10 64-Bit

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-2120-2100_8.html

79wAC from the wall with an idled 6970. This mean that you are seeing under 70wDC that the will be supplying.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_750_Ti_OC/23.html

74wDC max by itself during Furmark. Unless you intentionally do it yourself (why would you), you would see power draw well under 140wDC during your gaming load.

Since you are system has such a modest power draw, your current power supply should be able to power it. This is true for the VP450 and CX430v3, if you wish to get something with more headroom for piece of mind.

I'm pretty sure Antec didn't provide an operating temperature rating for the VP series. When companies does that for an entry-level power supply, it usually mean it's rated for 25C.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-2120-2100_8.html

79wAC from the wall with an idled 6970. This mean that you are seeing under 70wDC that the will be supplying.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_750_Ti_OC/23.html

74wDC max by itself during Furmark. Unless you intentionally do it yourself (why would you), you would see power draw well under 140wDC during your gaming load.

Since you are system has such a modest power draw, your current power supply should be able to power it. This is true for the VP450 and CX430v3, if you wish to get something with more headroom for piece of mind.

So does this mean that my power supply should work with it?

So does this mean that my power supply should work with it?

Yes, it will work, but headroom will be limited.

"Rawr XD"

Hey, I have a Pentium G3258 and a R9 270, with a 400w psu, both overclocked, and I want a locked i5, it's a EVGA 400w 80+ psu, will it work with a locked i5 and stock R9 270? Thanks in advance.

I am  MCCCXXXVII

Hey, I have a Pentium G3258 and a R9 270, with a 400w psu, both overclocked, and I want a locked i5, it's a EVGA 400w 80+ psu, will it work with a locked i5 and stock R9 270? Thanks in advance.

Honestly the difference in power consumption between an overclocked G3258 and a locked i5 is negligible, if your system is running fine now, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with an i5.

"Rawr XD"

Honestly the difference in power consumption between an overclocked G3258 and a locked i5 is negligible, if your system is running fine now, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with an i5.

Ok, thanks bro, Very good thread

I am  MCCCXXXVII

Yes, it will work, but headroom will be limited.

it works and I am using it, but the box says a minimum of 400 watts  :)  :o THANKS it really helped a lot  :)

Techquickie said that a PSU operates optimally at about 15% more than the wattage it is specified at, does that mean I should:

• Intentionally get a PSU rated ever slightly lower than the overall wattage of my PC
  • Get one that is the exact wattage my PC will be
  • Get one that is more than what my PC will be

?

(Not taking into account factors like overclocking or future upgrades)

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Techquickie said that a PSU operates optimally at about 15% more than the wattage it is specified at, does that mean I should:

• Intentionally get a PSU rated ever slightly lower than the overall wattage of my PC
  • Get one that is the exact wattage my PC will be
  • Get one that is more than what my PC will be

?

(Not taking into account factors like overclocking or future upgrades)

Huh? I think they mean at about 15% less then the maximum rated wattage. So if your PC will use 500W, you'll want 575W or higher, which in most cases will be 600W as the next model up. Never get a PSU that will deliver less power then your PC needs.

"Rawr XD"

Huh? I think they mean at about 15% less then the maximum rated wattage. So if your PC will use 500W, you'll want 575W or higher, which in most cases will be 600W as the next model up. Never get a PSU that will deliver less power then your PC needs.

Ok, thanks.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Hello there, I would need some help from you guys, as I am building a budget microATX machine practically just for 1080p gaming. Bitfenix Phenom, MSI B85M ECO, Core i3 4170, 8 gigs of ram, an SSD and an external HDD. I was planning to buy a GTX960 2GB, as my main goal is to build the coolest, quietest, least power consuming gaming machine I can get, so I bought a Coolermaster G450M 450Watt PSU. But just today I saw an R9 380 for the same price at my local shop, and so the question is, would my PSU be enough for the R9 380, or should I just get the GTX960 anyway? I checked that the 380 outperforms the 960 in almost every game, so I would be willing to sacrifice some more power on a better gaming performance, but I don't want to buy a bigger PSU, as it's practically 2 days old. Thanks for the help!  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

i have question 

i plan to get i7-6700k and oc it to 4.5ghz not more and zotac amp edition gtx 980 ti will not overclock. A aio cpu cooler like corsair h60, 1 ssd, 1 3tb hdd, 2 fans 3 usb devices keyboard and mouse 1 usb xbox 360 receiver can this be powered by a year old antec vp550p v2?

i have question 

i plan to get i7-6700k and oc it to 4.5ghz not more and zotac amp edition gtx 980 ti will not overclock. A aio cpu cooler like corsair h60, 1 ssd, 1 3tb hdd, 2 fans 3 usb devices keyboard and mouse 1 usb xbox 360 receiver can this be powered by a year old antec vp550p v2?

maybe but try to get a slightly better psu

maybe but try to get a slightly better psu

how about vp650p

I7-4770k @4.5 ghz

Gigabyte gtx 970

Asus Maximus vii hero

X2 8gb ddr3 ram

Corsair h75

4 system fans

Ssd

Hdd

What level of power supply do i need? Thanks in advance.

how about vp650p

yes should be fine.

sorry for late reply. i didnt have much time cause of school.