"How many watts do I need"? Check Here!

Aniallation

I'm in the process of upgrading my machine but I'm not sure what power supply to go for if anyone could help?

i7 6700k (Skylake)

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 Memory (3000)

256gb Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD

4x HDDs

1x SSD

I'm using my old PSU at the moment but I'm going to be upgrading in the near future to:

2x Nvidia GTX 980ti's

Custom Water Cooling (480 radiator with 4 fans)

Overclocked CPU+GPUs

I'm currently looking at the Corsair RM 1000w and the Corsair HX1000i

I need the PSU to be modular as I have the Thermaltake Core P5 case

Would a Corsair 1000w PSU be powerful enough or could you recommend me a better PSU for the money?

Will my antec 750 true power gold series run 2 780tis and a xeon 2670?

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

• 3 weeks later...

I see on the chart that an i7 with a 980 needs at least 500 watts to fuel it. Would 650 watts be overkill? If not, would the EVGA SuperNova 650 G2 be any good?

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Good day to all! I'm currently planning on building a new PC but quite worried on what PSU and wattage should I get. I am not into overclocking (just wanted the default settings) and no SLI/Crossfire. Here are my planned specs:

- Intel core i5 4590

- Gigabyte B85-HD3

- Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4gb 1600MHz

- Western Black 1TB SATA 3

- Palit Geforce GTX 680 2gb (Jetstream)

- Cooler Master Storm Scout 2

* Currently have 4 120mm fans (with led).

* Planning on getting a Samsung Evo SSD in the future.

* Planning on getting a Seasonic M12II 620W Evo Edition.

What are your recommended PSU's (brand, wattage etc.) Thank you so much for the help and advises. God bless.

2 minutes ago, alexafeline said:

Hello everyone,

Good day to all! I'm currently planning on building a new PC but quite worried on what PSU and wattage should I get. I am not into overclocking (just wanted the default settings) and no SLI/Crossfire. Here are my planned specs:

- Intel core i5 4590

- Gigabyte B85-HD3

- Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4gb 1600MHz

- Western Black 1TB SATA 3

- Palit Geforce GTX 680 2gb (Jetstream)

- Cooler Master Storm Scout 2

* Currently have 4 120mm fans (with led).

* Planning on getting a Samsung Evo SSD in the future.

* Planning on getting a Seasonic M12II 620W Evo Edition.

What are your recommended PSU's (brand, wattage etc.) Thank you so much for the help and advises. God bless.

You should be more than set with the M12ll.

On 1/12/2016 at 3:33 AM, AsrielDreemurr said:

I see on the chart that an i7 with a 980 needs at least 500 watts to fuel it. Would 650 watts be overkill? If not, would the EVGA SuperNova 650 G2 be any good?

The 650 G2 will be great. 650 IMO isn´t overkill for 500 watts, as I like to have some headroom for aging of parts and just in case.

17 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

You should be more than set with the M12ll.

Great! Was worried 'coz there are some technicians here (i'm from the Philippines) stating that I should get "at least" 750W, which will cost me more. I'm also being budget-wise. :)

Just now, alexafeline said:

Great! Was worried 'coz there are some technicians here (i'm from the Philippines) stating that I should get "at least" 750W, which will cost me more. I'm also being budget-wise. :)

Tell them to go piss off. But nah, 650 should be enough, especially with the 80+ Gold. It´s can never hurt to have a little more headroom though.

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Tell them to go piss off. But nah, 650 should be enough, especially with the 80+ Gold. It´s can never hurt to have a little more headroom though.

Hmm, I think M12II is only an 80+Bronze. Let me double check. But yeah, maybe having a headroom would be ok. Hoping I got the budget. lol. :)

Currently looking to replace my PSU.  Doesn't have to be modular as I have a Thermaltake RX-1 case to manage my cables in the back.  Just want reliable overclocking and something that can potentially support two high end graphics cards in the future (may or may not actually follow through but its nice to have the option).  I would prefer to keep it under $150 but willing to go as high as $180 give or take a few.  Thanks.

Currently looking at this guy.

EVGA 1000GQ 80+ GOLD

50 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Currently looking to replace my PSU.  Doesn't have to be modular as I have a Thermaltake RX-1 case to manage my cables in the back.  Just want reliable overclocking and something that can potentially support two high end graphics cards in the future (may or may not actually follow through but its nice to have the option).  I would prefer to keep it under $150 but willing to go as high as $180 give or take a few.  Thanks.

Currently looking at this guy.

EVGA 1000GQ 80+ GOLD

Yep, that's a good unit if you're looking for a lot of headroom. If you can order from Newegg there's also the LEPA G1200, which is cheaper and offers even more power capability, yet is still pretty darn solid. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lepa-power-supply-g1200ma

"Rawr XD"

11 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Yep, that's a good unit if you're looking for a lot of headroom. If you can order from Newegg there's also the LEPA G1200, which is cheaper and offers even more power capability, yet is still pretty darn solid. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lepa-power-supply-g1200ma

Yep thats the idea.  Oddly enough I found the EVGA 1000 GQ for 120 USD on Amazon (which I have prime for) and the Lepa G1200 for $140 on Newegg for me.  Both seem like solid options but I think I'll go with the EVGA one.  Seems solid enough with good headroom and price. 

Hi I am trying to make a budget build and I am trying to find which power supply I need. I am planning to over clock too.my budget for the psu is about £100 or  $145 us

*Asus Z170-K ATX Motherboard.
*Intel Core i5-6600K Skylake Quad Core 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) CPU.

*Coolermaster Seidon 120V V2 120mm All In One Water Cooler.
*8GB Corsair DDR4 (3000OC, CL15, 2x 4GB) Memory.

*ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

*VC239H 23" 1920x1080 IPS Widescreen Super Narrow Bezel LED Monitor

3 minutes ago, htonettti said:

Hi I am trying to make a budget build and I am trying to find how much power I need. I am planning to over clock too.

*ASUS GeForce GTX 960 STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

What's your budget for a power supply and where are you located? Honestly almost anything decent will do, as even overclocked you'll be hard pressed to hit 350W of total system power consumption.

"Rawr XD"

My buget is for a psu is about 100 pounds and i am situated in the uk

2 minutes ago, htonettti said:

Hi I am trying to make a budget build and I am trying to find how much power I need. I am planning to over clock too.

You need a good quality power supply of 500W or greater.

My recommendations:

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

SeaSonic SSR-550RM 550W

XFX TS 550W

3 minutes ago, MNMadman said:

You need a good quality power supply of 500W or greater.

No you don't.

GTX-960-REVIEW-47.jpg 

This is with the GPU OC'd as well as a heavily overclocked 4930K (130W TDP stock). I won't deny that the units suggested are solid, though.

"Rawr XD"

3 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

No you don't.

GTX-960-REVIEW-47.jpg 

This is with the GPU OC'd as well as a heavily overclocked 4930K (130W TDP stock)

Yeah, but you don't want to run a power supply close to its operating limits for long periods of time.  That, and power supplies tend to have best efficiency at 50-75% capacity.

Just now, MNMadman said:

Yeah, but you don't want to run a power supply close to its operating limits for long periods of time.  Power supplies tend to have best efficiency at 50-75% capacity.

Yes, but that wouldn't be needing (mandatory) one. A good quality PSU will gladly run at it's operating limits for long periods of time. Only thing is efficiency as you said, but it's not like you'll notice the difference on the power bill.

"Rawr XD"

7 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Yes, but that wouldn't be needing (mandatory) one. A good quality PSU will gladly run at it's operating limits for long periods of time. Only thing is efficiency as you said, but it's not like you'll notice the difference on the power bill.

I don't EVER recommend anything less than a 500W power supply for a full-size system.  Power supply manufacturers don't tend to put the best components in power supplies less than 500W because they're so cheap, so it's harder to find a "good quality" power supply at those low wattages.  I'm sure they exist, but I'm also sure you pay a premium for them.

Better to spend $80 (whatever the UK equivalent of that is) and get a good power supply than go cheap and be disappointed.

23 minutes ago, MNMadman said:

I don't EVER recommend anything less than a 500W power supply for a full-size system.  Power supply manufacturers don't tend to put the best components in power supplies less than 500W because they're so cheap, so it's harder to find a "good quality" power supply at those low wattages.  I'm sure they exist, but I'm also sure you pay a premium for them.

Better to spend $80 (whatever the UK equivalent of that is) and get a good power supply than go cheap and be disappointed.

I'm not saying that it's not better for your money to just get a higher wattage one. I'm saying that telling someone they NEED "at least a quality 500W" for that system is misleading.

"Rawr XD"