The latter generation of people becoming more stupid?

Brainiac777
A clear theme in this thread is that people are often mistaking themselves as smarter than their neighbor, when in fact, there is good reason that they have neighbors to begin with. Just because you understand what "tech" is doesn't not make you smart. The majority of people here understand how tech is supposed to be used, but have no idea what makes the tech actually work. Why doesn't my cellphone interfere with the guy making a call on his cell phone right next to me? What is interference anyway? How can light hold information, ie fiber optics. And in my mind, not caring about these things, is a form of laziness, but we all have things we neglect. People just happen to neglect the things that are important to you, which by definition you put higher value than other skills. This is a form of tolerance/ intolerance and it might be important to be aware of.

Its important to take a holistic view, in anything you do. There is a speech, by David Foster Wallace that you should all listen to. He gave it to Kenyon College's commencement in 2007, and then turned into a book called "This is Water". It runs 20-30 minutes on youtube, or is a quick read online. It tackles education with much caution.

I kind off see it now, I think your definition of lazy doesn't fit with your sentences.

I agree, the upcoming generations will be more lazy than us and various ways, that would be in computers and day to day basic needs, we need to set our goals onto other things instead of perfecting the laziness

A clear theme in this thread is that people are often mistaking themselves as smarter than their neighbor, when in fact, there is good reason that they have neighbors to begin with. Just because you understand what "tech" is doesn't not make you smart. The majority of people here understand how tech is supposed to be used, but have no idea what makes the tech actually work. Why doesn't my cellphone interfere with the guy making a call on his cell phone right next to me? What is interference anyway? How can light hold information, ie fiber optics. And in my mind, not caring about these things, is a form of laziness, but we all have things we neglect. People just happen to neglect the things that are important to you, which by definition you put higher value than other skills. This is a form of tolerance/ intolerance and it might be important to be aware of.

Its important to take a holistic view, in anything you do. There is a speech, by David Foster Wallace that you should all listen to. He gave it to Kenyon College's commencement in 2007, and then turned into a book called "This is Water". It runs 20-30 minutes on youtube, or is a quick read online. It tackles education with much caution.

Maybe laziness isn't a form of neglect ? I had always thought it was. Oh well.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

I agree, the upcoming generations will be more lazy than us and various ways, that would be in computers and day to day basic needs, we need to set our goals onto other things instead of perfecting the laziness
It's not that they are more lazy, its that there are more things to do so the difference between the people who work hard at many things and the pople who only work hard at a few things is more apparent .

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

We get computers to do more things, but it just allows us to do them more efficiently and get more done, not work less.

I'm pretty sure we all use our computers for gaming, or else their would be no need for making better computers. Except for the professionals.

I dont even know if I should comment here, because it may lead to something of a 'big deal'. But how old are you? like 15, how many generations have you experienced to say that this generation isn't smart to your standards?

I am calling you out on your outrageous statement.

You should be just grateful that you were blessed with the knowledge you claim you have and remember everyone is not gonna be the same. It a society, to my recollection a society isn't made up of high-class citizens, its a balance between the 'stupids' as you put and the 'intelligent'.

This notion that you have that everybody must be on the same level is ridiculous ( at least thats the message i am getting).

Weed killing? Man talk about brainwashing. You need to do some research Brainiac, I'm sure you are well versed in it being in your high end courses and such.

OP. I think you need to realize that not everyone excels academically. But this does not mean they are stupid. By the sounds of it you have a lot of maturing socially to do. I was once like you, I never gave anyone a chance and because of that, I never had very many friends through high school. You need to be more open to other's flaws and accept people for who they are, even if they don't have a high GPA. There's more good in people than you think. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but it's just my opinion.
Zack for president!

I dont even know if I should comment here, because it may lead to something of a 'big deal'. But how old are you? like 15, how many generations have you experienced to say that this generation isn't smart to your standards?

I am calling you out on your outrageous statement.

You should be just grateful that you were blessed with the knowledge you claim you have and remember everyone is not gonna be the same. It a society, to my recollection a society isn't made up of high-class citizens, its a balance between the 'stupids' as you put and the 'intelligent'.

This notion that you have that everybody must be on the same level is ridiculous ( at least thats the message i am getting).

Weed killing? Man talk about brainwashing. You need to do some research Brainiac' date=' I'm sure you are well versed in it being in your high end courses and such.[/quote']

^^ ^

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

People should be free to fly or flounder. If they care more about girls and having fun (like most do), more than education and being successful, those people will have a more difficult time finding success in life, most likely. But there's a bane to freedom, the slowing of progress. People inherently want to be lazy - well, most people. I'm no exception. It's only when they find the reward for the work is worth it. If everyone is free to flounder, which they are (sort of), then most of society will become lazy, uneducated fools who rely only on the people willing to work and further their knowledge and education.

But, the world balances everything out. Society has it's ups and downs. Golden eras where everyone works hard, gains knowledge, and pushes progress. And then darker eras where everyone takes advantage of the fact that everything is great, with people starting to get lazier and lazier because of how good everything is. I'm of the opinion we're heading out of the "golden era" and into one of those stages where society becomes more... stupid, to put it bluntly. This isn't a bad thing, it's honestly natural. Freedom allows this to happen, and while we wish everyone was hard working, smart, and contributed to society in a meaningful way, with freedom that doesn't happen all of the time.