The latter generation of people becoming more stupid?

Brainiac777

Hello, my name is Brian and the reason I am posting this random topic here is because I thought this would be a great place to start and I had no other place to go. :P Just starting with a bit of background knowledge so you know why my opinion is like this, I am 15 years old in the IB program (A program more advance than AP), I live in Canada, I am Asian, and I have witnessed a lot of young people less intelligent compared to the previous generations. Here's my opinion on this topic, I believe that many children today are less educated because of three reasons: parent, child, and society.

Parent:

Parents these days are becoming more lazy and less caring, they always use the excuse of "you’re older now, you know what you need to do in life to be successful." I find it irritating that parents only care for your education until you reach junior high, they leave you after that, only providing the basic necessities such as food, water, shelter, etc. When I was a kid, my mom did it 'Asian style' to me to force me to learn my multiplication, subtraction, and fractions. She was an immigrant and did not know much so she could not go on from their, but she gave me these work booklets called 'Mathsmart' and they helped me a lot. They are still available today and I strongly recommend that if you have a child, get them to do these books because this is how I see the subjects: Math=Practice, Science=Reading/Experimenting/Practice, English=Reading, and Social Studies=Reading/Analyzing. Many parents are not teaching their child to become literate, and reading is a big part of being successful, but they are focusing more on the math’s and sciences because they provide the greatest reward in the job industry. I learned to read from my sister because she forced me to read the Harry Potter Series and that is what got me hooked on, my parents couldn't do anything because they don't know English but they do provide all of the books I want/need and they help me read more by kicking me off the computer. XD I would try to find similar books and read them. Nowadays, you rarely see any child at the public library, and if they are, they are going for the easy stuff such as comics, manga, and picture books, that's what my brother does. I also find that we are supposed to always follow adults because you/they have 'more experience' than us, but have they always been perfect? Adults that rule the world today are greedy and selfish, if you have watched the movie, “Capitalism: A Love Story†you would understand. Some adults are great such as Vsauce and Linus, but the majority are lazy and uncaring.

Child:

Many people still have that stereotype of Asians are smart but times have changed, Asians have been getting more "white washed" and are starting to fail more. I see more kids being "badasses" with each grade, caring less about education and more on getting a girlfriend/boyfriend, money, fun, etc. Many young people are lazy, my cousin and friends included, and they are the bane of my existence because I feel like life should be an effort and other people should not suffer because of you lack the muscle/brain power to do it. I consider myself an above average student and my marks/knowledge can prove this. Not only are the latter generations less intelligent, I find that my friends are the same, one of my good friends from junior high, had to "cheat" his way into my high school because he didn't get accepted into IB. He is not very smart and a guy who cares more about girls than education. All of my friends and I wanted to go to this school because the designated school has a bad reputation. We all got into IB but that one friend, he is still able to go to my school because he "cheated" his way in as stated previously (I can explain more if needed). My other friend asked me to check over his whole essay but he hasn't checked it over himself. This is what pisses me off the most, people using me just because I have knowledge and intelligence. This is going off topic, but I thought this might give some examples of how it’s not just the lower generations, but upper have the same problem.

Society:

When I learned about capitalism this year, I have found it that their are flaws in the educational system itself. If you life in the Americas like me, you tend to notice that they enforce capitalism much more than communism, their is nothing wrong with communism but I find it bias. I also find it pitiful that they teach you that Canada is a free country, which it is, but then many people us that as an excuse to do whatever they want. Example, a kid swears at a teacher and they send him/her to the office, the kid then uses the excuse of it being a free country and that he can do whatever he wants because it is 'free'.

I completely understand what you're saying. However, the fault does not lie with social media, the internet or with gaming. The problem lies with parents not acting as parents and society becoming a nanny state. Parents are too scared to stand up to their children about issues because they have been led to believe and act to cherrish their child at every opportunity.

While yes, a child needs love and attention and need to know that they are loved - a line needs to be drawn where parents say no to their children. My parents drew this line from about the age of 4. I had a spac attack outside a supermarket for all of 30 seconds and my mother apparently said something along the lines of "Let me know when you're done." She didn't try and hug and bribe me to make me happy again.

Another example was if I didn't like what was put on the plate infront of me, I either ate it or went to bed hungry. My parents also taught me self relience this way; at about age 8, I didn't take my breakfast plate to the kitchen one morning so my parents just left it there as it wasn't their mess. 3 days later I didn't get dinner because we'd run out of clean plates and my breakfast dishes were still sitting on the table from 3 days ago.

What this translates to is that from a young age, children are being taught that complaining and moaning about their problems - especially to their parents results in getting their own way. Now whether that be what they're eating and complaining - resulting in a trip to Maccas, or chucking a fit in the game store because mom said they couldn't have the latest Call of Duty it doesn't matter.

Then, because these children have grown up with this sense of entitlement - their parents won't stand up to them in the later years of their development. Allowing them to come and go at all hours of the day and night, sit around and be completely lazy and be reliant on their parents for everything.

I used to work as a trainer-come-assistant-manager at the local Subway restaurant and I'd be coming home at about 9 on the nights I'd work. Now here in Melbourne, especially in the inner suburbs - children and teenagers below the age of about 16 are home with their families by about 7pm. I'm walking past the train station - there's two 13 year olds next to me who are barely able to stand after the amount of alcohol they've had, police are everywhere and dozens of teenagers well below the age of 18 are milling the local area heavily intoxicated.

I should note though, that this isn't true for all children and adolescents. I know a large number of well mannered well behaved teenagers that have bright futures ahead of them because their parents have raised them with the skills and attitudes to ensure that.

Parents are refusing to lay down the law to their children and tell them no because of the behaviours and attitudes that they themselves have installed in their children by their way of parenting and the fact that society is has become a "always support the child no matter what" deal. The current generation, at least in my view will struggle with life - organising themselves day to day, balancing accounts, housework and maintaining a steady job.

Something needs to change and it starts with parents.

From my experience (I'm 22) teenagers seem to be a lot more intelligent and articulate than I (or my friends) ever were at their age....They seem to grow up so much faster.

Again this is from my experience.

Brian, at age 15, how can you compare (or how are you comparing) your own generation to the last?

Can you give a specific example?

From my experience (I'm 22) teenagers seem to be a lot more intelligent and articulate than I (or my friends) ever were at their age....They seem to grow up so much faster.

Brian, at age 15, how can you compare (or how are you comparing) your own generation to the last?

My brother, 2 years younger than me, has grades similar to my time as a grade 8 student. He never reads, he plays games a lot, and is very childish in my perspective. I restricted him from the game League of Legends to make him read more but he just complains that he has good grades and I am forced to let him on or else he does stupid shit like take my wireless receiver so I can't use my keyboard, or he'll lag the crap out of me when I am playing games. You must have meet teenages from a good school because all of the schools in my district have sluts and badasses. Anyway, my brother talks a lot about his friends, and I know a lot of his generation too. He asks for the tests I did in grade 8 social studies so he can know what's on the test and focus more on those parts, I remember that when you study for a test, you study everything because you don't know what's on the test, yet my brother looks for the sheets for 2 hours until he finds them. I have also seen his generation play a lot of games, they have no parental involvement, allowing them to do whatever on the Internet and play till the morning, making them sleepier in class. Elementary schools have become lazy as they force the parent to teach most of the required stuff, they are even allowed to be schooled for only 3 hours on a Friday. I could come into a junior high school and ask them how the moon was made and they wouldnt know. They are going out more, caring more on looks, and believing in the stupidest things ever, such as #cutforbieber. This one girl in by brothers class lost $400 to someone at school. What idiot brings $400 to school? ( I could build a PC with that) Maybe I was an exception, I don't know, but I do know that this world is becoming more stupid and we are going to suffer from it.

I completely understand what you're saying. However, the fault does not lie with social media, the internet or with gaming. The problem lies with parents not acting as parents and society becoming a nanny state. Parents are too scared to stand up to their children about issues because they have been led to believe and act to cherrish their child at every opportunity.

While yes, a child needs love and attention and need to know that they are loved - a line needs to be drawn where parents say no to their children. My parents drew this line from about the age of 4. I had a spac attack outside a supermarket for all of 30 seconds and my mother apparently said something along the lines of "Let me know when you're done." She didn't try and hug and bribe me to make me happy again.

Another example was if I didn't like what was put on the plate infront of me, I either ate it or went to bed hungry. My parents also taught me self relience this way; at about age 8, I didn't take my breakfast plate to the kitchen one morning so my parents just left it there as it wasn't their mess. 3 days later I didn't get dinner because we'd run out of clean plates and my breakfast dishes were still sitting on the table from 3 days ago.

What this translates to is that from a young age, children are being taught that complaining and moaning about their problems - especially to their parents results in getting their own way. Now whether that be what they're eating and complaining - resulting in a trip to Maccas, or chucking a fit in the game store because mom said they couldn't have the latest Call of Duty it doesn't matter.

Then, because these children have grown up with this sense of entitlement - their parents won't stand up to them in the later years of their development. Allowing them to come and go at all hours of the day and night, sit around and be completely lazy and be reliant on their parents for everything.

I used to work as a trainer-come-assistant-manager at the local Subway restaurant and I'd be coming home at about 9 on the nights I'd work. Now here in Melbourne, especially in the inner suburbs - children and teenagers below the age of about 16 are home with their families by about 7pm. I'm walking past the train station - there's two 13 year olds next to me who are barely able to stand after the amount of alcohol they've had, police are everywhere and dozens of teenagers well below the age of 18 are milling the local area heavily intoxicated.

I should note though, that this isn't true for all children and adolescents. I know a large number of well mannered well behaved teenagers that have bright futures ahead of them because their parents have raised them with the skills and attitudes to ensure that.

Parents are refusing to lay down the law to their children and tell them no because of the behaviours and attitudes that they themselves have installed in their children by their way of parenting and the fact that society is has become a "always support the child no matter what" deal. The current generation, at least in my view will struggle with life - organising themselves day to day, balancing accounts, housework and maintaining a steady job.

Something needs to change and it starts with parents.

Thank you for your reply. I completely agree, but I still think technology has a very big influence, I will write more once on my computer as touch keyboards suck vs membrane.

Thought I'd put this here:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/260/f/9/Some_People_by_MumblingIdiot.jpg

To be honest, I don't think much has changed with the behaviour of "this generation," nor are most people any different to you and I. Intelligence of people seems to something that's easy to measure and judge, but I believe that that's not at all the case.

It's often that case that the person who shouts the loudest gets heard the clearest - because of the way things are. It's often common for people to find interest in this out of the ordinary, so things that they can't imagine doing themselves. This includes things like incidents of violence, or people doing something rather stupid, like having a large sum of money stolen. Does that mean that every kid/teenage does that? Of course not, the actual percentage of such incidents are rather low, it's just that it becomes huge when it happens. Based upon that, most people tend to assume that their peers are stupid and such, but is that really the case?

Of course, there are things that seem to be common interests amount the younger population, socialization and fitting in with others plays a large role in school - in which case some people will either think, or pretend to think that education isn't that important, but I don't think that's something unique about this generation - it's probably been like that for decades. Is that a bad thing? Partly, though learning how to interact with others is also a valuable skill to learn, academic achievement is also important but not necessarily better.

I'm currently 16 and also attend a school that follows the IB curriculum, but I've started to realize that currently my knowledge is still highly narrow, biased and limited. I believe my experiences with posting on various forums has widened it bit, but there's still much that is mystery to me, such ideas and opinions that I simply don't understand. I know next to nothing about how people may behave in other schools and in other countries, I'm admittedly assuming that it's around the same as mine. I may have shared similar views to yours sometime last year, but after looking at my peers with that similar mindset, I believe I've started to realize that most people are neither superior nor inferior to me, just different.

On the note of technology and it's influences, it's worth keeping the positive aspects in mind too. First off however, naturally the availability of such forms of entertainment can hinder the concentration of some, but that doesn't mean that students 30-40 years ago studied 24/7 because they didn't have any forms of distraction - they probably did. That's again another assumption, there's always stuff like magazines, record players and such. Secondly as I mentioned, it's not just negative. The internet makes a huge amount of information freely available to everyone, plus it allows people to interact with each other on a large scale, with people from different countries and backgrounds. I've said this before and how it's affected me, but I'm pretty sure it's also influenced a lot of others too.

Anyways that's my two cents, just something to consider and think about.

Welcome to the world, where a lot of people are dumb. It's called dumbing down, and we're getting increasingly efficient at it. Try and google it.

You ever read newspapers? You know what kind of dumb shit is in newspapers? Like famous people divorcing or some politician that had an affair? There's also good newspapers, but most are terrible (Dailymail for instance is probably one of the worst). Or social media? Or TV for that matter? Simple brainfodder to keep people stupid. I don't even watch TV anymore, 99% is nonsense and I'm not going to spend my time watching commercials.

There's some great theories behind it, but they're more of a conspiracy nature. You should google it.

You said your brother is pretty young, 13 years old if my calculations are correct (durr). He's a child, he should play and mind his own stuff. Who are you to restrict him from playing games? Let your parents do that stuff. But then again who am I to tell you that? Parents are indeed very important.

I'm 19 and I read like 15 books for fun when I was younger, but only since I few months I started reading seriously again, but books that are more of a scientific nature (ie Brian Greene).

Be happy you seem to know what's going on, lay back and enjoy how the rest is the architect of their own destruction. Teenage angst (the stuff you're going through now, it's not an insult, I've had it too and so do most intelligent people) will disappear when you grow older and you learn not to give a shit :p

You said you are doing an IB program that's of a higher level than AP. What is that exactly? I'm from Europe.

Thought I'd put this here:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/260/f/9/Some_People_by_MumblingIdiot.jpg

To be honest, I don't think much has changed with the behaviour of "this generation," nor are most people any different to you and I. Intelligence of people seems to something that's easy to measure and judge, but I believe that that's not at all the case.

It's often that case that the person who shouts the loudest gets heard the clearest - because of the way things are. It's often common for people to find interest in this out of the ordinary, so things that they can't imagine doing themselves. This includes things like incidents of violence, or people doing something rather stupid, like having a large sum of money stolen. Does that mean that every kid/teenage does that? Of course not, the actual percentage of such incidents are rather low, it's just that it becomes huge when it happens. Based upon that, most people tend to assume that their peers are stupid and such, but is that really the case?

Of course, there are things that seem to be common interests amount the younger population, socialization and fitting in with others plays a large role in school - in which case some people will either think, or pretend to think that education isn't that important, but I don't think that's something unique about this generation - it's probably been like that for decades. Is that a bad thing? Partly, though learning how to interact with others is also a valuable skill to learn, academic achievement is also important but not necessarily better.

I'm currently 16 and also attend a school that follows the IB curriculum, but I've started to realize that currently my knowledge is still highly narrow, biased and limited. I believe my experiences with posting on various forums has widened it bit, but there's still much that is mystery to me, such ideas and opinions that I simply don't understand. I know next to nothing about how people may behave in other schools and in other countries, I'm admittedly assuming that it's around the same as mine. I may have shared similar views to yours sometime last year, but after looking at my peers with that similar mindset, I believe I've started to realize that most people are neither superior nor inferior to me, just different.

On the note of technology and it's influences, it's worth keeping the positive aspects in mind too. First off however, naturally the availability of such forms of entertainment can hinder the concentration of some, but that doesn't mean that students 30-40 years ago studied 24/7 because they didn't have any forms of distraction - they probably did. That's again another assumption, there's always stuff like magazines, record players and such. Secondly as I mentioned, it's not just negative. The internet makes a huge amount of information freely available to everyone, plus it allows people to interact with each other on a large scale, with people from different countries and backgrounds. I've said this before and how it's affected me, but I'm pretty sure it's also influenced a lot of others too.

Anyways that's my two cents, just something to consider and think about.

This is another interesting thing you have brought up, I still feel that even though it does not look like it has changed, you can notice that the 21st Century kids are much different than the 1900s. Yes that the education habits might have stayed the same, but the things they do not learning differ because of the technology we have. Kids from the 1900s aren't great either, not noticing the environmental effects on this world, letting their children deal with it, the greed and poverty that still linger in this world. VERY interesting link you have their sir.

Hmm, interesting. However i need to go make a pizza.

lxVy3.jpg

LOL, become a good chef :D

Welcome to the world, where a lot of people are dumb. It's called dumbing down, and we're getting increasingly efficient at it. Try and google it.

You ever read newspapers? You know what kind of dumb shit is in newspapers? Like famous people divorcing or some politician that had an affair? There's also good newspapers, but most are terrible (Dailymail for instance is probably one of the worst). Or social media? Or TV for that matter? Simple brainfodder to keep people stupid. I don't even watch TV anymore, 99% is nonsense and I'm not going to spend my time watching commercials.

There's some great theories behind it, but they're more of a conspiracy nature. You should google it.

You said your brother is pretty young, 13 years old if my calculations are correct (durr). He's a child, he should play and mind his own stuff. Who are you to restrict him from playing games? Let your parents do that stuff. But then again who am I to tell you that? Parents are indeed very important.

I'm 19 and I read like 15 books for fun when I was younger, but only since I few months I started reading seriously again, but books that are more of a scientific nature (ie Brian Greene).

Be happy you seem to know what's going on, lay back and enjoy how the rest is the architect of their own destruction. Teenage angst (the stuff you're going through now, it's not an insult, I've had it too and so do most intelligent people) will disappear when you grow older and you learn not to give a shit :p

You said you are doing an IB program that's of a higher level than AP. What is that exactly? I'm from Europe.

IB (International Baccalaureate) is a program for students that want to challenge themselves on a higher level, in grade 10, you don't do much extra stuff, grade 11 and 12 are the kicker. The difference is that you are marked on a much harder rubric, you have much more test at the grade 12 level X2, you learn at a faster pace to cover all of the material, and you lose pretty much your high school life. The rewards are huge though, you get to skip 1-9 months of university depending on your mark, that can save about $1000-$5000 I think, you are admitted into university much easily, and it proves that you are a hard worker and are dedicated to education.

It all depends on how you view intelligence. If you look at it from a solely academic aspect, then there may be a decline, looking at RAW academia exam marks. However, that doesn't suggest the newer generations are 'less intelligent', there are a magnitude of other factors that impact exam grades. Teaching, home life, personal life, exam questions and how you perform on the day can all make you seem 'dumber' than you really are. In my opinion, exam results are not a fair reflection of intelligence, they are the results of how much you have learned how to write the exam, not actual intelligence, exams are arbitrary measures to justify school. If we look at intelligence, not from an academic side, but rather a general knowledge, quest for knowledge, the need to know more, i would suggest that the newer generation hasn't changed at all. If you class intelligence as someones IQ, then there are several differences, IQ is not a measure of 'how much you have learned', IQ is your awareness, your understanding, your analysis etc, hence why many children with learning disabilities suddenly have abnormally high ( 2.5% of population) levels of intelligence. Many autistic pupils are highly, highly intelligent, it's just they do not suit the method of teaching in western education. That's the problem, i feel, the issue lies with the teaching, not the learning.

Anyway, i have to go. I will reply tomorrow some time, it's an interesting topic, thanks for posting. :)

2 years does not constitute a generation.

I believe El means doesn't by the way.

Oh yes, thank you :-)

Sorry, my definition of generation is the people born in that year, I call that a generation, it is different for people. I guess I am wrong as it it more based on the number of 10-100 years.

It all depends on how you view intelligence. If you look at it from a solely academic aspect, then there may be a decline, looking at RAW academia exam marks. However, that doesn't suggest the newer generations are 'less intelligent', there are a magnitude of other factors that impact exam grades. Teaching, home life, personal life, exam questions and how you perform on the day can all make you seem 'dumber' than you really are. In my opinion, exam results are not a fair reflection of intelligence, they are the results of how much you have learned how to write the exam, not actual intelligence, exams are arbitrary measures to justify school. If we look at intelligence, not from an academic side, but rather a general knowledge, quest for knowledge, the need to know more, i would suggest that the newer generation hasn't changed at all. If you class intelligence as someones IQ, then there are several differences, IQ is not a measure of 'how much you have learned', IQ is your awareness, your understanding, your analysis etc, hence why many children with learning disabilities suddenly have abnormally high ( 2.5% of population) levels of intelligence. Many autistic pupils are highly, highly intelligent, it's just they do not suit the method of teaching in western education. That's the problem, i feel, the issue lies with the teaching, not the learning.

Anyway, i have to go. I will reply tomorrow some time, it's an interesting topic, thanks for posting. :)

Yes, I agree with you on how exams are inaccurate measures, but the general feel I get from people younger than me feels like they haven't grown yet. The quantity of people I see that are badasses increases when I look back, and I remember my grade to be nothing like that, then again, I am only 15 and not the wisest, because I look back at my past life and see myself doing dumb things.

Thank you for your reply. I completely agree, but I still think technology has a very big influence, I will write more once on my computer as touch keyboards suck vs membrane.

Technology is a mere medium for communication. The problem is not generated by technology, more it is communicated by it. Society - whether that be the government or public opinion as I said leads parents to believe to always love, care and make their children happy. While yes this is important, as I stated a line needs to be drawn as to where caring and love end and behavioural and attitudinal learning, parental control and forward planing take over.

Another way in which it demonstrates that technology isn't the cause is that scene as I mentioned you always at the game stores. Little Tommy wants the latest CoD and mommy wont buy it for him. Tommy has a tantrum in public, the mother wants Tommy to be happy so she bribes him by purchasing the game. It doesn't matter if its the latest CoD, a new mobile phone.. hell even clothing; especially shoes.

However you may say it can be very difficult for a single mom to stand up to a 16 year old male. However it was the mother who raised the child with those expectations of 'I get what I want' - they can only blame themselves.

As I made very clear in my first response; parents need to act as parents; stop being such pushovers and stand up to their children.

I dont even know if I should comment here, because it may lead to something of a 'big deal'. But how old are you? like 15, how many generations have you experienced to say that this generation isn't smart to your standards?

I am calling you out on your outrageous statement.

You should be just grateful that you were blessed with the knowledge you claim you have and remember everyone is not gonna be the same. It a society, to my recollection a society isn't made up of high-class citizens, its a balance between the 'stupids' as you put and the 'intelligent'.

This notion that you have that everybody must be on the same level is ridiculous ( at least thats the message i am getting).

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

well said !!

Assume everyone is an idiot until proven otherwise...

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I dont even know if I should comment here, because it may lead to something of a 'big deal'. But how old are you? like 15, how many generations have you experienced to say that this generation isn't smart to your standards?

You should be just grateful that you were blessed with the knowledge you claim you have and remember everyone is not gonna be the same. It a society, to my recollection a society isn't made up of high-class citizens, its a balance between the 'stupids' as you put and the 'intelligent'.

This notion that you have that everybody must be on the same level is ridiculous ( at least thats the message i am getting).

Valid point; someone's got to take care of the garbage, work at the supermarket. Everyone can't be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist for a society to function..

Although it was a shame to see people I went to school with who were bright enough to do very well but resort to laziness..

Yes and some of those same people who I went to school with have also taught me so much personally and now when I see them they have no ambition, no great future.

I would rather have a society where I can do something without having fear of being harmed than have a society where I fear ever corner, this is how humans progress. How is this outrageous? Don't you see more people smoking weed and doing drugs than previously, did you have people in your generation cutting their arms for a celebrity or getting pregnant at the age of 13? I am grateful, grateful to have knowledge to change the world and do something to make this better for future generations. At least I am doing something here, you don't see druggies here trying to make a change. Here we go again, you must be an adult to judge someone by their age, you must think, why should we listen to a kid? People are blinded by the fact that age is a barrier and an excuse to use because we do not have a fully developed brain. Yes I agree at being on the same level is ridiculous, but the message I am trying to get across here is the lack of parental involvement in a child's education, therefore, leading to a bad education in the future.

Assume everyone is an idiot until proven otherwise...
Why not? I am sure the human race assumes you are dumb unless you prove you are not. When I talk to strangers, I assume they don't know something so I put it to simple terms, you going to talk about building a computer to a random person or you ask them first?