[US] Crucial MX100 256GB $99 ($0.39/GB)

RASQ

I'm saving up for an intel 730 series 480GB SSD

Because I actually care about my data.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You should always have a backup of any important data on an SSD. Is a 5 year warranty instead of 3 worth paying twice as much?

Fantastic deal.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

So tempting but my university tuition needs to be payed next week : (

To need 480 GB you must have a lot of data.

You should always have a backup of any important data on an SSD. Is a 5 year warranty instead of 3 worth paying twice as much?

Agreed with backing up and personally I don't see a 5 year warranty worth it for twice the price. Most people upgrade every 3 years anyways. After that I just throw my parts into some side machine for whatever other thing I want. Upgrading my main machine now with some other spare parts and turning it into a media pc.

To need 480 GB you must have a lot of data.

Not really. I have 70GB free on my current 240GB SSD

But I want extra space in case I need it in the future. Also larger SSD = longer life because it has more nand flash.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

But I want extra space in case I need it in the future. Also larger SSD = longer life because it has more nand flash.

Larger drive = more nand flash to begin with. Does it state specifically anywhere that they have more nand flash per GB?

Larger drive = more nand flash to begin with. Does it state specifically anywhere that they have more nand flash per GB?

Not per GB, but overall. A 480GB SSD will have 2x the nand of a 240GB SSD

So If I only use 240GB of a 480GB SSD, it will last me 2x longer than just a 240GB SSD

The way the write cycles are worn out is spread across all the chips, and having 2x more chips to wear out will make the drive last 2x longer.

Spoiler

Not per GB, but overall. A 480GB SSD will have 2x the nand of a 240GB SSD

So If I only use 240GB of a 480GB SSD, it will last me 2x longer than just a 240GB SSD

The way the write cycles are worn out is spread across all the chips, and having 2x more chips to wear out will make the drive last 2x longer.

I see the logic behind it

Er what????

post-53826-0-37672800-1408294699.png

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I see the logic behind it

Yup :)

Plus with 480GB I won't have to worry about what goes on my SSD and what doesn't.

Spoiler

Er what????

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148820

It's available in Canada...xD

Spoiler

The op says [uS]

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The op says [uS]

Yeah I'm just saying how its weird that its available in canada but not the US...usually its the other way around.

Spoiler

Visa promo -10%

I wish I knew about this a few hours ago.

i tried it. you have to apply for a visa card. didnt work sadly 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Looks like the price went back up for the US. It definitely was at $99 when I checked earlier this morning. 

thank you :wub:  :wub:  i love you

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

The crucial drives have pretty much legendary life spans from what I've seen.  Most drives these days can last up to 10 years, but I doubt you'll be using the same SSD after 5-6 years, unless you retire it for backup storage.

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I'm more worried about my mechanical HDD dying than my 840 EVO. So far I've written 1.59 TB to it in about 8-9 months, So if I say 2TB per year with a lifespan of 100TB (which is probably an underestimation) it'll last me 50 years.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

I'm more worried about my mechanical HDD dying than my 840 EVO. So far I've written 1.59 TB to it in about 8-9 months, So if I say 2TB per year with a lifespan of 100TB (which is probably an underestimation) it'll last me 50 years.

Except that they last over 1 petabyte when they were tested...

I have servers running 24/7 so I need extra security :P

Spoiler