3 r9 290?~

dingoman
Go to solution Solved by Excon,

everything, also want it to last 2-3 years playing max settings

Thats your problem there is no reason to run max AA at 1440p

Hi,

i got a Asus maximus vi hero & 2 msi r9 290 in cf with kraken g10/vrm heatinks

I want to add another r9 290 but it wont fit in the board because of the kraken.

Should i just remove the kraken & add the corsair g10?,if its smaller

or Buy a new Motherboard & sell this one.

or leave 1 of the kraken the 1st card & add stock cooler to the 2nd card~& 3rd card with kraken.

only want to get another r9 290 well because it's cheap & i'm gaming @ 2560x1440,  I want 96+fps in bf4 with out drops.

3515baafc704d9ec012640225497dc8d.pnge90d34f96d83f481d7425528c2fe90ed.png

Using the corsair unit is dependent on having bought the reference versions of the 290 as it utilizes the fan from the cooler to cool the VRM's

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

2 290's and not 96 fps? what?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

max settings bf4 @ 2560x1440 yes i do get 96+fps but they drop

max settings bf4 @ 2560x1440 yes i do get 96+fps but they drop

Do you have AA maxed aswell?

The Corsair HG10 is not released yet and will be the same 2 slot size as the NZXT Kraken G10.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you have AA maxed aswell?

maybe I am totally off here, but are you sure you can run trifire on that mobo?

there's no point in running maxed AA at that resolution...

and why do you even have everything maxed out, optimize it and you'll see the differences.

ultra and high have no difference at all imo. i just play on medium.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

nop, look at the space in the picture.

ok thanks, but when more demanding games comes out, it would be better i guess.

i'll see if i get 96fps+ with out drops with AA off.

I'll probably stick with 2 cards for now.

Theres a major difference between max AA and 2x which is the most you should really run at. I play on 1440p with no AA

i'll see if i get 96fps+ with out drops with AA off.

I'll probably stick with 2 cards for now.

space I see just fine, curious about separating pci-e 3.0 w/ a pci-e2.0 and the division that will happen with the available 16 lanes.

He can. Although the bottom slot is PCI-E 2.0 16x wired for 4x. 

The Hero does not support 3 way crossfire.

It does. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It really doesn't.

Yeah i wouldn't fancy running a card in a slot like that. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The return on your investment when you get more than 2 graphics cards is slim. It's simply not worth it getting 3 $500 graphics cards. First of all, the drivers are not that great with these set ups. Since only a few people use 3+ cards, AMD and Nvidia don't put as much effort into the software. Secondly, only a few games will see a benefit from having more than 2 cards. Some games can't even run well on 2 cards (Far Cry 3).

I honestly think it's a mistake to buy another graphics card hoping that it will provide better frames and you're going to be disappointed in the result. When demanding games come out you're better getting a new graphics card. Getting more graphics cards to try and future proof your rig is a bad idea. In fact, future proofing is a bad idea with technology because hardware improves so much every year. But it's going to be about 3 or so years until games are too demanding for a single 290 let alone crossfired 290s. 

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

The return on your investment when you get more than 2 graphics cards is slim. It's simply not worth it getting 3 $500 graphics cards. First of all, the drivers are not that great with these set ups. Since only a few people use 3+ cards, AMD and Nvidia don't put as much effort into the software. Secondly, only a few games will see a benefit from having more than 2 cards. Some games can't even run well on 2 cards (Far Cry 3).

I honestly think it's a mistake to buy another graphics card hoping that it will provide better frames and you're going to be disappointed in the result. When demanding games come out you're better getting a new graphics card. Getting more graphics cards to try and future proof your rig is a bad idea. In fact, future proofing is a bad idea with technology because hardware improves so much every year. But it's going to be about 3 or so years until games are too demanding for a single 290 let alone crossfired 290s. 

not really looking for future proof but i guess i will stick with 2, avg 102 fps with AA off. Also i got these cards for around 340$ i can always just buy one of those ebay cards for like 250$.

i'll just wait for nvidia 880ti or dual 880ti, as long its under 1200$. unlike titan z -_-.

There are other bottlenecks. Many CPUs don't support enough lanes to get full performance out of 3 cards. If your motherboard's running PCIe 2.0 then forget about it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5AVIaeWZ1k

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case