PS4 / Xbox 720

ionbasa

With all the rumors about I wanted to see if anybody has anything to talk about regarding next generation consoles?

Rumors state that the PS4 would have a 7970 and a AMD CPU and 4GB RAM (possibly XDR type)

The Xbox is supposed to have an x86 CPU and probably and AMD GPU (from past observations).

Honestly if the specs on the PS4 are true it would be amazing in my opinion.

So what do you guys think? Are you going to buy the next generation of consoles?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Ummm unless there are some INSANE (and I mean Ridiculous) incentives I will ignore the next generation consoles. I recently converted to mainly PC gaming myself (August) and I won't go back. I only play games on console now because its easier to play with friends when they're over. The Wii U is an amazing party console though and I love playing it with my friends. If the next gen consoles are going to have specs like you have mentioned I would put the starting price at around the same the PS3 started at (around 700$) If there really is a 7970 in the PS4 it probably will be much more expensive.

keyboard and mouse or die

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

I will say this i play multi player games on my xbox not for graphics but because that's where my friends play and i have more fun playing with them then alone on multi player. any solo games i play on my pc because i like the graphics and i like using a mouse and keyboard.

I do want to point out that when a new console comes out it can keep up with most peoples gaming rigs in the graphics department because its easier to code for because you know what specs the system has.

I agree with Johnmini, most of my friends have a PS3 so it is easier to just play on that platform.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I don't think sony is going to risk a super expensive starting price for their console and probably won't want to sell at too huge a loss at the moment either.

I'll get them if they are reasonably priced and have good exclusives which is my main point of interest for a console.

The xbox is surpose to have 8 gig of ram, (bit overkill). The PS3's graphics card is rumored to dwaf the xbox's. Does anyone know if the PS3 will be eaiser to code for this time round, because some game companies would not code for it because all of its (something, vertex? to do things like physics) cores. Also the PS3 is rumored to come out 3 months after the xbox, at around $500, xbox a little cheaper.

Does anyone know if the PS3 will be eaiser to code for this time round' date=' because some game companies would not code for it because all of its (something, vertex? to do things like physics) cores. [/quote']

Currently it is harder to program for the PS3 because it has a Cell Processor, Also it has a Nvidia graphics card technically. Sony bought the Intellectual Property from Nvidia and made their own GPU + CPU in house.

​ This time though if both the PS4 and Xbox will have standard X86 CPUs I would imagine programming cross platform would be just as easy as doing it for PCs. Ultimately the good thing for this is that we will no longer have bad console ports, and video games may become more demanding, meaning a boost in the PC market for GPUs.

7970's cost about 350-400$ I dont see that happening.Unless the ps4 is going to cost 700+ on release

I expect $500+ price tags on the new system just like before unless they have strong titles at launch to justify loss in hardware manufacturing. Strong Console exclusives are why I buy consoles. It sucks to spend that money on one or two games, but as someone once told me if you love the game you'll buy the console to play that game.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my analysis of the PS4 and the XBox 3.

First, the PS4:

-> Sony is bleeding money like no tomorrow left and right. They even had to sale their US headquarter for revenue to stay afloat.

-> The PS3 is a disaster for Sony. While it DOES sale well, that's the problem. Sony looses money on every console made, While they are near tied with the latest revision of the console, Sony is not making the money back from the older revision of the console. Most people that got the PS3 only have 1-2 games, they got the console because it was a cheap, and good Blu-ray player.

-> What hurt Sony the most was the price tag of PS3. It was way too high. It was practically 3D0 high. People aren't willing to cash out for such amount of money.

If Sony is smart, they'll make a 300-350$ console. 400$ tops, where after 1 or 2 games they'll start make profit. So what do I expect: Better than the WiiU. Well that's not hard.. even if Sony replicate the WiiU specs, it will be better as it will have to render on only 1 screen and not 2, and you won't have the part of the processor busy feeding the game controller visuals.

I do believe that they can get a x86 AMD processor. AMD is desperate for any sort of congrats, so they are ready to sale something at minimal profit, and because it won't be a custom processor, Sony would solve 2 problems: cheaper, and make developer life much easier, as the PS3 is, by all developers comment on it: hell.

Nintendo biggest strength is that their console are really easy to develop. Now, with Sony using a processor that is following the architecture of PC's which is known by all developers, it will be some serious competition.

Sony vision:

-> While sometimes copies successful manufactures with never pushed accessories making them gimmicks. Sony tends to stays traditional with their game console. Same old remote, nothing special on the console side. Just a system that allows you to play games.

So in conclusion, I expect:

-> Low end AMD processor following x86-64 architecture

-> Same or slightly better GPU than what the WiiU has.

-> No HDMI cable, basic same old same old game controller.

-> Propitiatory HDD add-on

-> 350-400$ price tag

A good price to the eyes of the consumer, but end the cost will be hiest of all 3 consoles due to the priopirotaty add-ion HDD for those who needs additional space than what the console provide (this is typical to Sony), and of course, you need to buy an HDMI cable. They are the main supported of HDMI, and the royalty fees are sky high. They make a lot of money by having you buy it.

-> The console will be 4K ready where it will only do 1080p, and upscale it to 4K

-> Graphics will be mildly better than the WiiU. People expect a similar jump from the PS2 to PS3. but what they failed to realise is that the entire work was due that PS2 graphics chip was laughable, (the GameCube had a better graphic card) and that most of the work is going to HD. Instead of having most games at 720p @ 30fps, you'll have most of teh games at 720p @ 60fps or 1080p at 30fps.

Ok,

XBox 3 turn:

-> Microsoft is bombarded with money.

-> Their marketing team for the XBox 360 was able to convince people to pay a premium price for online play, so Microsoft will have no problem selling a console at a big loss.

-> In order to stay competitive, they'll sell their new console in 400$ price range. It is ok if they loose a lot of money, again, XBox Live subscription will take care of it, and with big titles like Halo and Call Of Dutty on their side, they are also covered.

Microsoft Vision

Microsoft ws always about putting a PC in the living room. This should be of no surprise to anyone (Surface PC (the coffee table, not the tablet), Media Center, demos on press events, Media Center edition of Windows with special remote, etc.) XBox was the perfect plan to get this happen. Using games instead of recording and watching TV as a vehicle to get people interested. The XBox 360 shows this with it's latest interface, web browser and services like Netflix and Hulu.

Apple is treat. Apple wants to go in the living room space. Microsoft is trying to prevent that, and you can see this with Kinect, where you can control the menu with your hands and have voice recognition.

The new XBox, won't be focused on gaming. That means that while it will be a gaming console, money won't be spent at fancy graphic cards and CPU. It will probably have something comparable to the PS4, or something between the WiiU and PS4. Cost of the console will be put onto TV-Tuner, codec licenses, HDMI in ports for recording shows, and large capacity HDD. Basically, it will be a media center system that can play games. It's target audience are Halo and Call of Duty fans and casual gamers. Microsoft will take Wii casual gamers from Nintendo.

In conclusion:

-> Specs in between WiiU and PS4, or same as PS4

-> 400$ price tag

-> Will be able to record TV shows, and better Netflix and other similar service intergration

-> Online experience will stay be with a subscription fee

-> Targetted at preventing Apple entry, so expect Kinect 2.0 included in the console.

-> XBox 3 will switch thing with a focus on casual gamers, like what the Wii was. Nintendo will take XBox hard core gamers as it let go its casual gamers and focuses on hardcore (that is what Nintendo is already doing, but they are trying to get casual gamers.. so its console has a mix signal going on, which I think hurts them, hopefully they'll let them go and return to its roots to hard core gamer, taking XBox gamers, while the new XBox takes Nintendo casual gamers, and have it's hardcore gamer be disappointed by the lack of content aimed at them, beside the usual Halo, and God Of War, and Call of Duty games.)

I think that most of the people are gonna go with the new xbox, and that makes me sad, people aren't switching to pc gaming because it's a cold plate form, yes a cold one, and that is explained by the lack of unification, steam, origin, and all that BS, if you play video games, it's for fun ( or Competitively ) and having a separated player base is the thing that will make people fear pc gaming ! And don't forget the price point of a decent rig doesn't compare to a console's price !

To be honest, I don't see the newer generation consoles using a 7970... it's just too expensive and doesn't fit the bill for a console.

If both companies plan on sticking a price tag of around $500. more then likely console gamers will be lift with an AMD APU A10. That will do both DX11 and the CPU power to run Next gen games at that price tag. Sony did say that AMD will be there gpu they us in there console. We all now as of right now AMD as the better GPU on a APU, Tell Haswell comes out with the HD4600. Intel has said that the HD4600 will compete very well with the AMD APU's unlike the HD4000 Graphics did not. I do be leave console gamers will get a big improvement over the Xbox 360 and PS3

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I personally would wait for the SteamBox its more open towards Indie gamers and developers and there is a high chance that this console wil be upgradeable with some sort of click system

not to mention that it will all be linux based and would probably allow you to instal your own operating systems

The xbox is surpose to have 8 gig of ram, (bit overkill). The PS3's graphics card is rumored to dwaf the xbox's. Does anyone know if the PS3 will be eaiser to code for this time round, because some game companies would not code for it because all of its (something, vertex? to do things like physics) cores. Also the PS3 is rumored to come out 3 months after the xbox, at around $500, xbox a little cheaper.

The coding reason is why Skyrim dlc was messed up, I wish people would stop blaming Bethesda because sony used some crappy system

First, the PS4:

-> Sony is bleeding money like no tomorrow left and right. They even had to sale their US headquarter for revenue to stay afloat.

-> The PS3 is a disaster for Sony. While it DOES sale well, that's the problem. Sony looses money on every console made, While they are near tied with the latest revision of the console, Sony is not making the money back from the older revision of the console. Most people that got the PS3 only have 1-2 games, they got the console because it was a cheap, and good Blu-ray player.

-> What hurt Sony the most was the price tag of PS3. It was way too high. It was practically 3D0 high. People aren't willing to cash out for such amount of money.

If Sony is smart, they'll make a 300-350$ console. 400$ tops, where after 1 or 2 games they'll start make profit. So what do I expect: Better than the WiiU. Well that's not hard.. even if Sony replicate the WiiU specs, it will be better as it will have to render on only 1 screen and not 2, and you won't have the part of the processor busy feeding the game controller visuals.

I do believe that they can get a x86 AMD processor. AMD is desperate for any sort of congrats, so they are ready to sale something at minimal profit, and because it won't be a custom processor, Sony would solve 2 problems: cheaper, and make developer life much easier, as the PS3 is, by all developers comment on it: hell.

Nintendo biggest strength is that their console are really easy to develop. Now, with Sony using a processor that is following the architecture of PC's which is known by all developers, it will be some serious competition.

Sony vision:

-> While sometimes copies successful manufactures with never pushed accessories making them gimmicks. Sony tends to stays traditional with their game console. Same old remote, nothing special on the console side. Just a system that allows you to play games.

-> 350-400$ price tag

A good price to the eyes of the consumer, but end the cost will be hiest of all 3 consoles due to the priopirotaty add-ion HDD for those who needs additional space than what the console provide (this is typical to Sony), and of course, you need to buy an HDMI cable. They are the main supported of HDMI, and the royalty fees are sky high. They make a lot of money by having you buy it.

-> The console will be 4K ready where it will only do 1080p, and upscale it to 4K

-> Graphics will be mildly better than the WiiU. People expect a similar jump from the PS2 to PS3. but what they failed to realise is that the entire work was due that PS2 graphics chip was laughable, (the GameCube had a better graphic card) and that most of the work is going to HD. Instead of having most games at 720p @ 30fps, you'll have most of teh games at 720p @ 60fps or 1080p at 30fps.

Ok,

XBox 3 turn:

-> Their marketing team for the XBox 360 was able to convince people to pay a premium price for online play, so Microsoft will have no problem selling a console at a big loss.

-> In order to stay competitive, they'll sell their new console in 400$ price range. It is ok if they loose a lot of money, again, XBox Live subscription will take care of it, and with big titles like Halo and Call Of Dutty on their side, they are also covered.

Microsoft Vision

Microsoft ws always about putting a PC in the living room. This should be of no surprise to anyone (Surface PC (the coffee table, not the tablet), Media Center, demos on press events, Media Center edition of Windows with special remote, etc.) XBox was the perfect plan to get this happen. Using games instead of recording and watching TV as a vehicle to get people interested. The XBox 360 shows this with it's latest interface, web browser and services like Netflix and Hulu.

Apple is treat. Apple wants to go in the living room space. Microsoft is trying to prevent that, and you can see this with Kinect, where you can control the menu with your hands and have voice recognition.

The new XBox, won't be focused on gaming. That means that while it will be a gaming console, money won't be spent at fancy graphic cards and CPU. It will probably have something comparable to the PS4, or something between the WiiU and PS4. Cost of the console will be put onto TV-Tuner, codec licenses, HDMI in ports for recording shows, and large capacity HDD. Basically, it will be a media center system that can play games. It's target audience are Halo and Call of Duty fans and casual gamers. Microsoft will take Wii casual gamers from Nintendo.

In conclusion:

-> 400$ price tag

-> Will be able to record TV shows, and better Netflix and other similar service intergration

-> Targetted at preventing Apple entry, so expect Kinect 2.0 included in the console.

-> XBox 3 will switch thing with a focus on casual gamers, like what the Wii was. Nintendo will take XBox hard core gamers as it let go its casual gamers and focuses on hardcore (that is what Nintendo is already doing, but they are trying to get casual gamers.. so its console has a mix signal going on, which I think hurts them, hopefully they'll let them go and return to its roots to hard core gamer, taking XBox gamers, while the new XBox takes Nintendo casual gamers, and have it's hardcore gamer be disappointed by the lack of content aimed at them, beside the usual Halo, and God Of War, and Call of Duty games.)

Xbox Live is not expensive, its like 10p a day, I could find that on the street on the way to school every day without really trying.

First, the PS4:

Sony vision:

-> 350-400$ price tag

Ok,

XBox 3 turn:

Microsoft Vision

In conclusion:

-> 400$ price tag

Xbox Live is not expensive' date=' its like 10p a day, I could find that on the street on the way to school every day without really trying.[/quote']

True. That is a good point, it is cheap. However, to me it all adds up. I could also say that XBox live is ~0.42p an hour. Another point, is that while you pay, Microsoft has the best online experience than the rest, making it worth the premium price.

With all the rumors about I wanted to see if anybody has anything to talk about regarding next generation consoles? Rumors state that the PS4 would have a 7970 and a AMD CPU and 4GB RAM (possibly XDR type) The Xbox is supposed to have an x86 CPU and probably and AMD GPU (from past observations). Honestly if the specs on the PS4 are true it would be amazing in my opinion. So what do you guys think? Are you going to buy the next generation of consoles?

Well the supposed leak is false competitors don't release stats a year before it comes out that's bad business its most likely to meet mid hi-end PC stats at the time of release so a 7870 equivelent and a 4-6 core but if the ram amount is true for 8gb (another "leak") this means a high amount of windows integration Xbox will most likely be a hybrid console at some point.

PRIMARY NVIDIA PC

("I'm a Fanboy of Everything")
| CPU - i5-4670K @ 4.8ghz | CPU Cooler - Antec Kühler H2O 620 | GPU(S) - BIOS MODDED Twin GTX 770 4gb (Gigabyte)-master (Zotac)-slave @ 1337/2000 (8000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Ram - 8gb Gskill RipjawsX @ 1866Mhz | Monitor - Samsung 27" 550 1080p 75Hz | Keyboard - Razer Black-Widow Ultimate 2013 | Storage - 2x 1TB WD-Blacks' | Mouse - AzzA Mouse Would Say "SQUEEKSQUEEK"|

SECONDARY RADEON PC

| CPU - A10-6800K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler - CM Hyper EVO 212 | GPU(S) Twin Radeon 270x 2gb @ 1115/1500 (6000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 | PSU - Logisys 750W | Ram - 8gb @ 1600mhz | Moniter - Acer 24'' 1080p 60Hz

I personally would wait for the SteamBox its more open towards Indie gamers and developers and there is a high chance that this console wil be upgradeable with some sort of click system not to mention that it will all be linux based and would probably allow you to instal your own operating systems

its not a console if that's possible it will stay what it is OS changing and you've just sold a mid end pc.

PRIMARY NVIDIA PC

("I'm a Fanboy of Everything")
| CPU - i5-4670K @ 4.8ghz | CPU Cooler - Antec Kühler H2O 620 | GPU(S) - BIOS MODDED Twin GTX 770 4gb (Gigabyte)-master (Zotac)-slave @ 1337/2000 (8000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Ram - 8gb Gskill RipjawsX @ 1866Mhz | Monitor - Samsung 27" 550 1080p 75Hz | Keyboard - Razer Black-Widow Ultimate 2013 | Storage - 2x 1TB WD-Blacks' | Mouse - AzzA Mouse Would Say "SQUEEKSQUEEK"|

SECONDARY RADEON PC

| CPU - A10-6800K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler - CM Hyper EVO 212 | GPU(S) Twin Radeon 270x 2gb @ 1115/1500 (6000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 | PSU - Logisys 750W | Ram - 8gb @ 1600mhz | Moniter - Acer 24'' 1080p 60Hz