Opteron 6128 HE 2 GHz - PPD and Noise level with Noctua coolers

Hey everyone,

my plans of building a 4P system are progressing slowly, but at least they are progressing. I may have the opportunity to house such as system within an Elysium case at an office I share with a colleague. Therefore, the noise level will be very important. The 6128HE processors have 65 W TDP so they shouldn't get too hot. Nevertheless, I wonder what kind of noise level I will have to expect, if I put the G34 compatible giant Noctua coolers on them. Also, does anyone have a guess on what kind of PPD rating I can expect from those four  CPUs?

Thanks!! :)

Noctua's are known for being quite so noise from the cpu coolers should not be a problem at all.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

I assume you running 4 of those CPU's. :)  Depending on Project you get, you will probably get between 250K and 350K with that unit. But, remember, you cannot use Windows - you need to run one of the Linux builds in order to qualify for the bigadv projects and the QRB's.

Those Noctua will be very nice and very quiet, but will probably run you close to $400 for four of them. Here are a couple of guides to check out...

Ubuntu Desktop build guide

Musky's Hyper 212 mod

I mention musky's hyper mod as it really is quite simply to do, and getting the refurb coolers direct for CM cost me all told $60 - with gear from Home Depot - like another $20 - temps are awesome and very quite as well.

Check out my 4P build guide in my signature for more info...'

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99