Review of CM Storm Keyboard

Godlygamer23

This is my first mech keyboard. In case anyone doesn't know, CM Storm keyboards use CherryMX Blue switches. These tend to be loud and provide some feedback. If you don't like a loud typing experience, then Blue switches are not for you. But, lets get started with the review.

Looks: This keyboard looks great. And the red LEDs look great, though the pictures I'll be linking in the post don't do the LEDs any justice. You can kind of see them in the picture below. But they look way better in person.

DSC01347_zpsc81db1bd.jpg

Features: This keyboard comes with some pretty cool things. First, it has macro keys, which can be used for pretty much everything. Next, it also has media control keys. In the pictures, you'll see that they're on the F keys. So how do you use them? There's a little CM Storm key (it's where the Windows key would normally be)that you can use to use them. You hold down the key, and then press one of the media control keys that you want. Also, I mentioned earlier that there's LEDs in the keyboard. There's different modes that you can do. First one is you can have all the LEDs on. The second is having it pulsate slowly. And the last one is having only the necessary gaming keys lit up, which you'll see below. The keyboard also has a USB hub on it. It's helpful for low power devices like a USB mouse receiver, which I'm actually using it for right now with no issues. Can of course also be used for printers or external hard drives that plug into a wall.

Last LED mode

DSC01357_zps4e7603c8.jpg

Macro keys

DSC01351_zps4945c570.jpg

Media control keys

DSC01352_zpsd0f152dd.jpg

CM Storm key

DSC01353_zpsda60679a.jpg

Build quality: The build quality for this keyboard is great. I wasn't really expecting the extra weight when I pulled it out of the box. My last keyboard was extremely light. This isn't a complaint. I actually like electronics with a bit of heft to them. I also tried to bend the keyboard a bit - absolutely no flex that I could see. The top of the keyboard has a bit of a textured feel to it and it feels pretty nice. It almost has a rubber feel to it, even though it's plastic. All in all, I give the keyboard an A+ for build quality. The cable is also sleeved very nicely as you can see here. Even though I can't see the cable through the sleeving, it could be because they used a black cable inside.

DSC01346_zps445a08e7.jpg

Typing experience: My last keyboard was a membrane. The keys feel mushy compared to this keyboard. And I've also noticed that I type faster on this keyboard than my membrane. It's taking some getting used to though with the macro keys. For instance, I was trying to copy multiple things - couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Turned out, instead of using the control key, I was holding down one of my macro keys instead. The ESC button is also in a higher location. The keys feel great on this keyboard, and the feedback that I get(both through touch and hearing) is great.

In conclusion, this keyboard is a great deal, and I will recommend it to anyone looking for an awesome Blue switch mech keyboard. The keys feel great, and the feedback of the switches is great - though loud. That might become an issue for some people as my sister and mom hate this keyboard because it's loud. The media features are great too, as I listen to music quite a bit. Being able to skip songs and pause them is a nice feature.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Great Review.. Appreciate the effort. You posted in the wrong section though.. belongs in Member Reviews

Woops. Thanks for pointing that out. Mods, can you please move it? My bad.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Moved to Member Reviews.

Thank you.

great review, lots of detail and effort which helps allot as i am looking for my first mech keyboard and this is a strong contender. thanks

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

great review, lots of detail and effort which helps allot as i am looking for my first mech keyboard and this is a strong contender. thanks

You're welcome. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks for the review, keep them up.

Will do.