K version Processor

So, i'm currently looking at processors, for a new rig, and I see that the K versions (the unlocked versions I believe), has better clock speed and is usually faster. My problem is:

If I choose a K version and don't overclock (as I don't have experience with it) is it worth the extra price or is the non-K version enough.

For example, to choose between the i7-4790K or just the 4790.

If I get the non-K version, will I need an aftermarket CPU Cooler?

Thanks a lot

If you don't plan to overclock then just get the normal, non-k version and a cheaper motherboard (H97, perhaps). Also, the standard heatsink is usually "fine", but you might want something like a 212 evo just to get the temperatures down a little, especially on the 4790k.

So, i'm currently looking at processors, for a new rig, and I see that the K versions (the unlocked versions I believe), has better clock speed and is usually faster. My problem is:

If I choose a K version and don't overclock (as I don't have experience with it) is it worth the extra price or is the non-K version enough.

For example, to choose between the i7-4790K or just the 4790.

Thanks a lot

The K version is all about the overclocking.If you don't want or don't know how to overclock your system, buy the non K version.

It comes with the same cooler, the hyper 212x is a great cooler for ~30$

If you arent go oc dont bother, also if you do get the K series make sure your motherboard is a Z series or else you cant oc

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

If you choose a K version and dont overclock you are just wasting money on both the CPU and motherboard 

If the price difference is not much, just get the K processor, you might want to overclock a year or 2 down the line as the processor ages and you need more speed

An aftermarket CPU cooler is still a good idea even on a stock chip, it will run quiter and cooler, the stock cooler is ok for pentiums etc (though not that quiet) but on i7s etc it can still run warm

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Also, if you're not overclocking and you're planning to use a discrete GPU, consider a Xeon.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Depending on the price difference getting a K version might be a better choice because you at least have the option to overclock. I know people that bought i7 920s in 2008 found overclocking to 4GHz in the past year or so made their CPU keep up with modern applications again.

Woops, that was my bad, I don't know why it did that.

ok

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

If you choose a K version and dont overclock you are just wasting money on both the CPU and motherboard 

If the price difference is not much, just get the K processor, you might want to overclock a year or 2 down the line as the processor ages and you need more speed

An aftermarket CPU cooler is still a good idea even on a stock chip, it will run quiter and cooler, the stock cooler is ok for pentiums etc (though not that quiet) but on i7s etc it can still run warm

Yeah, you're right, I might want to OC a while down the line, that's my problem because if I buy the non-K version and want to OC later on I will have to buy not only a K version but also a motherboard. Hmm, I'm really undecided about this.

Yeah, you're right, I might want to OC a while down the line, that's my problem because if I buy the non-K version and want to OC later on I will have to buy not only a K version but also a motherboard. Hmm, I'm really undecided about this.

I have not OCd my 4770k but I am happy I bought the K version and Z board. Means I have the flexibility to do whatever I want

The main question is, how likely are you to upgrade your system down the line? are you likely to just buy a new system in a few years? If so going K has little to no benefit

but since CPUs tend to be one of the longer lived components, (you are more likely to upgrade your GPU/SSD etc etc) then I think getting K and OCing in a year or 2 is a smart move

BUT I will say this, if you have to sacrifice other parts of your PC to get the K processor, it is not worth it, only spend that extra if the rest of your build is not being compromised  (for example, having to buy a cheaper GPU just to get a Z motherboard)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Overclock its not hard. The other option you have is to get a Xeon and a h or b series board you loose the ability for dual GPU but gain hyperthreading.

Depending on the price difference getting a K version might be a better choice because you at least have the option to overclock. I know people that bought i7 920s in 2008 found overclocking to 4GHz in the past year or so made their CPU keep up with modern applications again.

Very good and interesting point. This alone is a must for overclcoking .