Next Tomb Raider game to be Xbox One exclusive. UPDATE : IT'S A TIMED EXCLUSIVE. HURAAY!

Nineshadow

But they don't specifically use the Mantle API as far as i knew.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/186

Maybe they will.

D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I hope AMD drop support for Crystal Dynamics. Such a shame really, exclusives really do ruin the whole gaming experience for a lot of people. I actually hope they end up in financial difficulty and go bankrupt.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Financially this seems odd anyway. Square Enix were in big financial troubles a while back. The success of the last Tomb Raider was said to be one of the saviours of the company. So how does releasing the sequel exclusively on a console that is being outsold 3 to 1 by its direct competitor make any sense. Surely any amount of money that MS offered is going to be offset by lost sales. And sure, 6-12 months it could get a PC release, but by then the hype will have died down. So who is going to pay to publicise it again and are PC gamers going to want it, or will they boycott/ torrent it on principle? When will companies learn that if there is one group of gamers you try not to upset, it's PC gamers. Very odd decision making. I'm guessing this decision was made by shareholders, not industry experts.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Thanks for saving me $460, Square Enix.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Uh...yeah they do.

Crysis on consoles still runs on CryEngine,just a modified one.

The consoles do not use mantle, they use their own api's.

Indeed the xbox uses a version of directx. (The development name for the original xbox was the Directx box, then shortened to just xbox) this hasn't changed. The PS4 uses a modified version of OpenGL. AMD have already gone on record to say that the consoles don't use mantel as they don't need it due to their inherent low level build. They did state however there are similarities between the APIs. But no they are not the same.

Source from Microsoft: http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2013/10/14/raising-the-bar-with-direct3d/

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

I wasn't talking about Mantle.

I was talking about the game engine.

It's still called that way,but it's implemented differently.(and it doesn't have Mantle.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I was talking about the game engine.

It's still called that way,but it's implemented differently.(and it doesn't have Mantle.

The only inherent AMD technology in the Tomb Raider engine is TressFX which allow that amazing looking hair. Nothing else.
Spoiler

Well, Crystal Dynamics just screwed themselves over.  People need to stick to their guns and not buy/preorder the game nor the console.  The only way to force change is to vote with your wallet.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

The only inherent AMD technology in the Tomb Raider engine is TressFX which allow that amazing looking hair. Nothing else.

That's a game engine feature...Any game engine can do almost everything they want.

Mantle is an API.

Uh...yeah they do.

Crysis on consoles still runs on CryEngine,just a modified one.

Your quote here suggests you believe that the consoles use the Mantle API. All we guys are saying is no they don't. They're engine doesn't have anything inherently mantle in it. It's just mantle compatible. That's all. Not having a go
Spoiler

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal. I’d like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we’re creating at the studio.

Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we’ll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we’re going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.

Thanks,

Darrell Gallagher

Crystal Dynamics Head of Studios

Source: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

So... I think we are still xboned.

Your quote here suggests you believe that the consoles use the Mantle API. All we guys are saying is no they don't. They're engine doesn't have anything inherently mantle in it. It's just mantle compatible. That's all. Not having a go

I was talkling about game engines.

In other words. We get why your pissed, but hey you can still play the old game and this crappy spin off online game. This is very reminiscent of Microsofts ' there is an offline console. It's called the xbox 360'. That worked out well.
Spoiler

I was talkling about game engines.

Ok cool sorry. Came across as you believed that the consoles used mantle. That's all.
Spoiler

And no one cares about Temple of Osiris just like no one cared about Guardian of Light. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

It's no time exclusive unfortunately.

It's the real deal.

The head of Crystal studios confirmed it himself.

Check my original post.

bummer. I actually just finished playing TR 2013 and really enjoyed it. Was excited for the sequel.

XBO Exclusive = MS Exclusive = PC release. 

Seems like one of those moves akin to what MS pulled with Titanfall, I see no honest reason why they would keep TR off the PC. Well, I hope they won't. 

It seems like one of those "console war" moves that MS is capable of pulling. They have the money to do whatever they want. 

I heard this curious saying of "You pick the console thats made by the company that isn't hemorrhaging money" and maybe it has to do with the fact that MS can buy their way into almost everything they desire. Money really does talk, and MS has a lot of it to throw around these days.

Not saying I agree with the practice, but this is just the reality we live in.

Sony can't afford to combat MS on exclusive deals as much, they don't have that kind of cash. MS can. And maybe we'll see this happen more and more? Or maybe this was just one fluke moment. 

XBO Exclusive = MS Exclusive = PC release. 

Seems like one of those moves akin to what MS pulled with Titanfall, I see no honest reason why they would keep TR off the PC. Well, I hope they won't. 

It seems like one of those "console war" moves that MS is capable of pulling. They have the money to do whatever they want. 

I heard this curious saying of "You pick the console thats made by the company that isn't hemorrhaging money" and maybe it has to do with the fact that MS can buy their way into almost everything they desire. Money really does talk, and MS has a lot of it to throw around these days.

Not saying I agree with the practice, but this is just the reality we live in.

Sony can't afford to combat MS on exclusive deals as much, they don't have that kind of cash. MS can. And maybe we'll see this happen more and more? Or maybe this was just one fluke moment. 

Nope.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

At least not for now.

Well, Crystal Dynamics just screwed themselves over.  People need to stick to their guns and not buy/preorder the game nor the console.  The only way to force change is to vote with your wallet.

My younger brother's are into consoles. When I built one of them a PC to game on. I put Tomb Raider on there for him. Both of them never heard of the game, never even considered buying it for their XBOX1. Both of them enjoyed it thoroughly on the PC mostly because of the graphics. I severely doubt this game selling well as an XBOX1 exclusive. Most of these kids never even heard of Tomb Raider or are familiar with it. This is the group of people they are catering to, the age group that actually owns these consoles (16 year olds). By them making it an exclusive they are going to lose so much money it's not going to even be funny. 

Glad I didn't bother with the reboot. It is funny to just laugh at the village idiot that is MS gathering nothing but hatred instead of excitement with their exclusives. Extra laughs at the bigger fucking bunch of idiots at Square that think the way to solve their deepening crisis is to attach themselves to the fucking loser console.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Glad I didn't bother with the reboot. It is funny to just laugh at the village idiot that is MS gathering nothing but hatred instead of excitement with their exclusives. Extra laughs at the bigger fucking bunch of idiots at Square that think the way to solve their deepening crisis is to attach themselves to the fucking loser console.

The reboot is worth playing though.

Well I'm pissed, was hoping for more of that fancy TressFX and I enjoyed the last Tomb Raider, have they not learned anything from Crytek? 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

The reboot is worth playing though.

I'd play it if it was free, perhaps in a humble bundle or something, but I never was truly interested before and I'm certainly not rewarding bad behavior now.

Though I'd take your worth for it, I really don't mind missing up on AAA games if this is the kind of bullshit they subject us to.

-------

Current Rig

-------