American analyses how accents sound to his California ears

Sammael

This won't be exhaustive, and by all means add your own.

-UK posh accents sound hyper articulate and proper.  When spoken next to an American it makes the american sound like he has missing teeth and milks cows.

-UK chav accent sounds like it was constructed by hooligans.  Not pleasant to listen to.  I liked it on Lauren socha on misfits, but HATED it on her brother, Michael Socha.

-Irish accents sound like living leprechauns.  Sorry guys, but every time you start talking I start to visualize rainbows and pots of gold nearby.

-Scottish Accents sound like ancient swordsmen.

-Aussie accents sound EXTREMELY friendly, like SCARY friendly.  It's mainly due to using the word "mate" several times per sentence.  In the US, MATE is an extremely intimate sounding word, your mate is like a life partner, or someone you'd take a bullet for.  THAT's your mate.  In Australia, they throw the word around like popcorn, but when an American like me hears it it sounds ULTRA friendly.  I think it's all a trick, a trick to lull the americans coeds in so they can have their way with them when visiting.

-Southern US accent - the definition of rural, backwater, bubba gump level intonations.  This is near the bottom of the english accent distribution.

-Canadian accent is not that different from an American accent, it does sound more folky though due to the use of eh at the end of every sentence.  Once again, I think it's a trick to lull the listeners into thinking Canadians are more harmless and friendly when in reality they will gut you like a fish if you cross them.

... that's all for now.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I shitpost, and you are a human fecal hiroshima.

I'm going to guess you have the chav accent?  It's ok, I won't judge.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I'm a kiwi, I can remember when I lived in Australia, we would call Kiwi accents girly accents, because when people said "chips" it sounded like "cheeps" to us, and now I think Australian accents are funny, not to offend any Australians, its just how things in the world go.  

But I cannot tell the Difference between American and Canadian accents,  

Aussie accents sound like they just grew up like not knowing how to speak, but in reality.  The first Australians (white Australians) were mainly Convicts, and so the Convicts probably had a british accent that was sort of a rough one, like how mobsters speak compared to a normal New Yorker, kind of like that.  So I understand.  

Once again, if anyone is offended I sincerely apologize.  This is not designed to offend anyone.  

Ahhh california, if the rest of America could, we would sink it into the pacific ocean a few hundred/thousand years ahead of schedule.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I can't stand Southern Accents. 

And Really Russian Accents just are hard to listen to.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

not to be that guy but just saying that Scotland is part of the UK atm

I was too lazy to put UK on them and irish, but they seem more universally known too so I felt it was not needed to add the extra identifier.

I'm a kiwi, I can remember when I lived in Australia, we would call Kiwi accents girly accents, because when people said "chips" it sounded like "cheeps" to us, and now I think Australian accents are funny, not to offend any Australians, its just how things in the world go.  

But I cannot tell the Difference between American and Canadian accents,  

Aussie accents sound like they just grew up like not knowing how to speak, but in reality.  The first Australians (white Australians) were mainly Convicts, and so the Convicts probably had a british accent that was sort of a rough one, like how mobsters speak compared to a normal New Yorker, kind of like that.  So I understand.  

Once again, if anyone is offended I sincerely apologize.  This is not designed to offend anyone.  

No offense taken, it's just the kind of passive aggressive talk between kiwis and Australians that makes perfect sense.  

I had a Southern accent for a while but I did my best to get rid of it for good because everyone would bully me just because of it :/

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

I had a Southern accent for a while but I did my best to get rid of it for good because everyone would bully me just because of it :/

Traitor. Let them show their ignorance and intolerance whilst claiming the same of you.

Since this is an accent thread, I'll bite with something that annoys me.

I'm from Texas and it greatly bothers me when other Americans and those abroad think everyone sounds like King Of The Hill here with massive hats on. That is actually rare. most Texans just have a mild southernish accent or none at all compared to standard "American" aka the neutral American news voice/midwestern accent. While some Texans do sound like a stereotypical character from King Of The Hill, this is not the norm. 

Protip for Europeans, when you try to do an "American" accent, please stop doing stereotypical Texas or Valley girl California. Both are rude and inaccurate.

I'm from Texas and it greatly bothers me when other Americans and those abroad think everyone sounds like King Of The Hill here with massive hats on. That is actually rare. most Texans just have a mild southernish accent or none at all compared to standard "American" aka the neutral American news voice/midwestern accent. While some Texas do sound like a stereotypical character from King Of The Hill, this is not the norm. 

Protip for Europeans, when you try to do an "American" accents, please stop doing stereotypical Texas or Valley girl California. Both are rude and inaccurate.

Agreed.

Your profile picture and that post...

OH GOD

O_o

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Agreed.

Your profile picture and that post...

OH GOD

O_o

I know..lol I always read his posts in Dale's voice, it's great. haha

I'm from Texas and it greatly bothers me when other Americans and those abroad think everyone sounds like King Of The Hill here with massive hats on. That is actually rare. most Texans just have a mild southernish accent or none at all compared to standard "American" aka the neutral American news voice/midwestern accent. While some Texans do sound like a stereotypical character from King Of The Hill, this is not the norm. 

Protip for Europeans, when you try to do an "American" accents, please stop doing stereotypical Texas or Valley girl California. Both are rude and inaccurate.

I agree. Everyone from the North seems to think we are all just a bunch of hillbillies with guns who live in shacks. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

I know..lol I always read his voice in Dale's voice, it's great. haha

Lol that's my intent, for everyone to read it in that voice. Sadly there are no youtube clips of him yelling "wingo!"

I agree. Everyone from the North seems to think we are all just a bunch of hillbillies with guns who live in shacks. 

I have guns, but I don't live in a shack. And it should be said that there are just as many rednecks up north as there are down here.

And here's a beast of its own accent.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I don't think you realize the full range of accents Ireland has, it's really quite amazing for such a small place. Google accents for Belfast and Dublin maybe, there's no mistaking them for a leprechaun, nothing cute or adorable about them :lol:

The Hunter S Thompson accent is one I would love to cultivate.

Lol that's my intent, for everyone to read it in that voice. Sadly there are no youtube clips of him yelling "wingo!"

I have guns, but I don't live in a shack. And it should be said that there are just as many rednecks up north as there are down here.

I've heard of a certain Canadian province that is like that, Ohio also has a lot of rednecks apparently. 

I've heard of a certain Canadian province that is like that, Ohio also has a lot of rednecks apparently. 

Michigan has something quite redneckish that I've never seen here in the south, school bus racing on dirt tracks, WITH people inside (in safety gear). There is no black flagging, and we totally need to adopt it because it was fucking awesome.