And then there was 3: Khronos Announces Next Generation OpenGL Initiative

Misanthrope

Khronos Announces Next Generation OpenGL Initiative

KhronosLogo4_678x452.jpg

So after AMD demonstrated Mantle obtaining some gains already and a healthy amount of Dev support, Microsoft also announced their own take on low level API with Direct X 12. Now the Khronos group officially announces the next generation of OpenGL API:

OGLNG1_575px.png

For the next generation of OpenGL – which for the purposes of this article we’re going to shorten to OpenGL NG – Khronos is seeking nothing less than a complete ground up redesign of the API. As we’ve seen with Mantle and Direct3D, outside of shading languages you cannot transition from a high level abstraction based API to a low level direct control based API within the old API; these APIs must be built anew to support this new programming paradigm, and at 22 years old OpenGL is certainly no exception. The end result being that this is going to be the most significant OpenGL development effort since the creation of OpenGL all those years ago.

So with now both AMD's Mantle promised for Linux as well as OpenGL which is usually available to all platforms, looks like Microsoft might need to double down on their efforts to make DirectX 12 more compelling, tough if history has shown us anything those sort of PC related efforts have a pretty bad track record.

OGLNG2.png

http://anandtech.com/show/8363/khronos-announces-next-generation-opengl-initiative

-------

Current Rig

-------

OMG YES FINALLY

i have always said that they should start again  from the ground up

solving problems with extensions will get you so far

this is great news !

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

could this be the start of an api war? And didn't intel, AMD and NV pledge to help develop OpenGL or something along those lines.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

you guys probably wont get 4.4 support for a while still...

Don't be like that. It only took Apple 3 years to support OpenGL 4! There was a huge gap between the version before that as well.

Apple is extremely slow with supporting OpenGL versions for some reason.

I dunno, DirectX is still so ubiquitus, it'd be like getting rid of Steam at this point.

While open standards are nice and getting a hard on for Linux makes your nerd-peen at least 4" longer, if it'll benefit the gaming industry as a whole to stay DX and improve that I'm all about it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Wonderful news. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Where is the dislike button?

Competition is ALWAYS better.

I'm being purely pragmatic here.

I was maybe too brash and ignored the benefit of competition, but my argument for not switching away from Windows and DX as the premier platform stands due to the vast library of old games that wont be supported.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I'm being purely pragmatic here.

I was maybe too brash and ignored the benefit of competition, but my argument for not switching away from Windows and DX as the premier platform stands due to the vast library of old games that wont be supported.

older games work pretty well under wine :)

of course it depends what ur definition of old is

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Microsoft is pretty much officially buttfucked

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Microsoft is pretty much officially buttfucked

We don't know that yet, things are just getting started. We'll have to wait until both dx12 and the next openGL are out to see.