Linus Hating r7 240 and equivalents.

S3NL4C

Despite Linus being so Anti these cards, I bought an r7 240 the other day. Here is why.

My dad uses some software called Tacx Trainer for doing indoor cycling, He had an old pentium 4 and 1gb RAM and a 256mb graphics card running it and it got to the point where despite all my attempts to fix it it was on the brink of dying. I had a motherboard, an fx6100 and a case lying around and he wanted to turn that into a computer to run this software that had basic graphics requirements and that only, for £100. In this particular niche scenario where I already had a non apu cpu and motherboard the r7 240 allowed me to turn some spare parts into a pc to fulfill one particular graphics requiring but very very light job.

I think the point that is being missed here is in the same way that the top end cards are not mainstream consumer cards, these cards are not mainstream consumer cards either. They hit a niche perfectly for people that have some pc parts lying around that can be turned into something basic at a moments notice.

I agree that they do not give great price/performance, but at the end of the day a potato would run this software.

These cards are designed to be the cheapest thing available whilst at the same time having up to date drivers, and at that they excel.

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHZ - Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev.2 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X edition - Corsair Vengeance C70 - 64gb OCZ vector SSD, 500gb WD Blue - OCZ FAT4L1TY 750w psu - Coolermaster Seidon 240m with Coollab Liquid Pro

linus hates them because the cards are advertise as "gaming cards" while they only are usful as display ports and you happen to have a situation were its useful  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Can't a 5450/gt210 do that though also right at half the price?

Yeah, I paid $30 for my 5450 that I have been running in a server 24/7 for 2 years now.

Linus hates the gaming aspect of the 240.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Despite Linus being so Anti these cards, I bought an r7 240 the other day. Here is why.

My dad uses some software called Tacx Trainer for doing indoor cycling, He had an old pentium 4 and 1gb RAM and a 256mb graphics card running it and it got to the point where despite all my attempts to fix it it was on the brink of dying. I had a motherboard, an fx6100 and a case lying around and he wanted to turn that into a computer to run this software that had basic graphics requirements and that only, for £100. In this particular niche scenario where I already had a non apu cpu and motherboard the r7 240 allowed me to turn some spare parts into a pc to fulfill one particular graphics requiring but very very light job.

I think the point that is being missed here is in the same way that the top end cards are not mainstream consumer cards, these cards are not mainstream consumer cards either. They hit a niche perfectly for people that have some pc parts lying around that can be turned into something basic at a moments notice.

I agree that they do not give great price/performance, but at the end of the day a potato would run this software.

These cards are designed to be the cheapest thing available whilst at the same time having up to date drivers, and at that they excel.

Also you could probably run the software he is running on a Celeron G1850 with its iGPU. Starcraft 2: HotS has been run on 1080p on that thing with good frame rates and the celeron only costs $50.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

As much as they don't need to refresh the entry-level GPU's, they kinda have no choice. A new lithography each generation brings down power consumption, which is crucial in the kinds of applications most people will be running these cards in.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

You should have just bought something used for what you intended to do man.  You can get GTX 580s for ~$60 used.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

he hates them for gaming and claiming to be gaming oriented. they really are only good for office computers. 

You should have just bought something used for what you intended to do man.  You can get GTX 580s for ~$60 used.

The point is there is nothing on the market that cant do what I intended it to do. I might as well just buy something new that I has a guarantee and I know wont cause problems.

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHZ - Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev.2 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X edition - Corsair Vengeance C70 - 64gb OCZ vector SSD, 500gb WD Blue - OCZ FAT4L1TY 750w psu - Coolermaster Seidon 240m with Coollab Liquid Pro

As others stated, believe Linus does not like the fact that they are proclaimed "gaming GPUs"......workstations for viewing video like CCTV and the like. But running six 1440p monitors in Eyefinity and playing the latest and greatest while folding, mining, and other tasks...nope.  

(Wait for the R7 300 series for that ;))

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."