4k videos don't look 4k

farhanorakzai

i've been watching both 4k videos on youtube and videos that i have downloaded and neither of them look like the 3840x2160 pictures that i downloaded 

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

do you have a 4k monitor?

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Pictures will always look better. More information for one frame.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't mean to make you sound like an idiot, but are you use a 4k monitor?

it's so hard to click on his name and look at his prof where it says he has a 4k monitior. and where else have you seen 4k?

Youtube compresses there videoes massively and they lose quality

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

it's so hard to click on his name and look at his prof where it says he has a 4k monitior. and where else have you seen 4k?

I'm on Tapatalk, I don't go through everyone's profiles

One you probably don't own a 4k monitor so its down sampled to a 1080p screen. The quality is still greater and noticeable than compared to regular 1080p on youtube. And two youtube does allot of compressing and lowering of the bit rates of the video so some amount of quality is lost. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

One you probably don't own a 4k monitor so its down sampled to a 1080p screen. The quality is still greater and noticeable than compared to regular 1080p on youtube. And two youtube does allot of compressing and lowering of the bit rates of the video so some amount of quality is lost. 

Wow people are really that lazy, he does have a 4k monitor and everything thinks he doesn't? 

I don't mean to make you sound like an idiot, but are you use a 4k monitor?

do you have a 4k monitor?

yes lol

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

at the store "best buy" where it looked amazing

It's probably due to motionblur, the quality of the camera and the colors. I will assume the 4k pics had a lot of vibrant colours and was shot by a professional with a pro grade 4k camera. All this make the immages seem to be og better quality. In the video you will experiense motionblur making it, well blury (duh) and the shot was probably done with a cheaper camera and with less vibrant colours. Contrasts do a lot of work when it comes to making something look of higher resolution. I am not sure exactly why, but it does.

i do have a 4k monitor 

huh odd. you sure windows is set to 4k res?

i've been watching both 4k videos on youtube and videos that i have downloaded and neither of them look like the 3840x2160 pictures that i downloaded 

Youtube has horrible horrible compression. You will never get 4k out of that much compression. The videos look like they get to be a maximum of 720p even at the 4k setting. I have no idea why because those videos definitely require more bandwidth. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

huh odd. you sure windows is set to 4k res?

it is. the pictures that are in 4k are absolutely amazing, but the video that i download is ehh. i downloaded what i'm pretty sure is raw 4k since the file was 4 gb for 20 or so seconds

it is. the pictures that are in 4k are absolutely amazing, but the video that i download is ehh. i downloaded what i'm pretty sure is raw 4k since the file was 4 gb for 20 or so seconds

take it back and get a other one 

take it back and get a other one 

both pictures and games look really good. the only thing that doesn't look that good is videos. does that mean it's defective? also i got it from amazon

The store probably has uncompressed content (or content compressed well) provided by the manufacturer of the display you were looking at, specifically designed to make the display look great.

YouTube compresses video a lot, therefore you have loss of quality.

A well shot photograph in uncompressed format (look at professional photographer journals or camera review websites) with 8 million or more pixels will always retain more information than video (because less compression), and therefore look awesome.

You'll probably have to wait for movies to be released in 4K on Blu-ray (or whatever) to experience "well compressed" 4K content.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Youtube 4k is only the resolution, their bitrates SUCK.

Hence the garbled blocks and looking like crap.

Real 4K content will WOW you.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The store probably has uncompressed content (or content compressed well) provided by the manufacturer of the display you were looking at, specifically designed to make the display look great.

YouTube compresses video a lot, therefore you have loss of quality.

A well shot photograph in uncompressed format (look at professional photographer journals or camera review websites) with 8 million or pixels will always retain more information than video (because less compression), and therefore look awesome.

You'll probably have to wait for movies to be released in 4K on Blu-ray (or whatever) to experience "well compressed" 4K content.

how long do you think that will be? 

Youtube 4k is only the resolution, their bitrates SUCK.

Hence the garbled blocks and looking like crap.

Real 4K content will WOW you.

i would love you, if you could send me a link to some real 4k content

Wow people are really that lazy, he does have a 4k monitor and everything thinks he doesn't? 

hey woo woo woo. I didn't see. Calm yo a*s. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

maybe they're "4k" but not true 4k being raw (uncompressed) 4k.