GTX 780 6GB?

MeesterJackson

So I couldn't help but notice how popular this card is suddenly getting. Whenever someone has a decent budget (or good) for a good gaming build, people seem to always recommend this. 

I'm pretty much asking why? Lol 

So I couldn't help but notice how popular this card is suddenly getting. Whenever someone has a decent budget (or good) for a good gaming build, people seem to always recommend this. 

6GB is worthless lol. If you need the extra VRAM for say 1440p then the R9 290 is a much better choice.

People seem to think that any 3GB card is worse than any 4GB card when this clearly isn't the case.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Doesn't make sense. The 780 isn't powerful enough to use 6GB of VRAM. Buy a vanilla 780 instead. (I know you aren't looking to get one. Just advice.)

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Sheep hopping onto the latest LTT trend bandwagon. Last week it was the H220, this week it's 'Noctua's are overrated', wonder what it'll be next week.. At the end of the day everyone is free to do what they want with their money in their build.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

6GB is worthless lol. If you need the extra VRAM for say 1440p then the R9 290 is a much better choice.

People seem to think that any 3GB card is worse than any 4GB card when this clearly isn't the case.

Doesn't make sense. The 780 isn't powerful enough to use 6GB of VRAM. Buy a vanilla 780 instead. (I know you aren't looking to get one. Just advice.)

My thoughts are because of badly optimized games like Watch_Dogs or heavily modded games like Skyrim (which HAVE shown to take up up to 4+GB in VRAM before).

Lots of games are starting to use extreme res textures which use over 3GB of vram.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Lots of games are starting to use extreme res textures which use over 3GB of vram.

That's what I was possibly thinking. I've heard M:LL runs better with more VRAM if you're playing completely maxed out. 

Because 6 is a larger number than 3 and it attracts them like a moth to a light bulb.

^this made me rotfl xD it's so true.

it's dumb to recommend that card when there is the R9 290 which is cheaper, performs better at higher resolutions (which is the only reason you would need more than 2gb of vram) and provides 4gb of vram. The 780 doesn't have nearly enough gpu power to use all that vram, so it's just wasted money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Over 3GB but under 4GB, still rendering 2GB useless.

My thoughts are because of badly optimized games like Watch_Dogs or heavily modded games like Skyrim (which HAVE shown to take up up to 4+GB in VRAM before).

Watch_dogs is shite in its construction and should not be used as a general example as to why you need more VRAM.

Skyrim needs to be modded to hell and back (And mods are often bad with amounts of memory used and management of it) before it hits 4GB of VRAM

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I wouldn't select a video card to cater to the requirements of terrible games or extreme modding scenarios unless that's all I wanted to do with it.

Over 3GB but under 4GB, still rendering 2GB useless.

Watch_dogs is shite in its construction and should not be used as a general example as to why you need more VRAM.

Skyrim needs to be modded to hell and back (And mods are often bad with amounts of memory used and management of it) before it hits 4GB of VRAM

Eh I guess I'm definitely waiting for that GTX 880 4GB then. Lol 

Only makes sense in 1440p, 4k and surround gaming. Additionally doesn't make sense except with SLI since a 780 doesn't run those resolutions very well anyway.

Only makes sense in 1440p, 4k and surround gaming. Additionally doesn't make sense except with SLI since a 780 doesn't run those resolutions very well anyway.

Doesn't run those resolutions very well? HardOCP tested a 6GB 780 in SLI running 4K resolution it got; 47 fps average in Watch Dogs, 57 fps in Crysis 3, and 49 fps in Far Cry 3, how is this not very well? Then they also tested Surround gaming @ 5760 x 1200; 65 fps in Battlefield 4, 53 fps in Watch Dogs, 56 fps in Crysis 3, and 50 fps in Far Cry 3.  These are more than playable framerates achieved by these cards in SLI.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/30/asus_strix_gtx_780_oc_6gb_sli_video_card_review/10

Doesn't run those resolutions very well? HardOCP tested a 6GB 780 in SLI running 4K resolution it got; 47 fps average in Watch Dogs, 57 fps in Crysis 3, and 49 fps in Far Cry 3, how is this not very well? Then they also tested Surround gaming @ 5760 x 1200; 65 fps in Battlefield 4, 53 fps in Watch Dogs, 56 fps in Crysis 3, and 50 fps in Far Cry 3.  These are more than playable framerates achieved by these cards in SLI.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/30/asus_strix_gtx_780_oc_6gb_sli_video_card_review/10

"Additionally doesn't make any sense EXCEPT WITH SLI since 780 doesn't run those resolutions anyways. A single 780 doesn't run 4k or surround well..... SLI 6GB does.

Sheep hopping onto the latest LTT trend bandwagon. Last week it was the H220, this week it's 'Noctua's are overrated', wonder what it'll be next week.. At the end of the day everyone is free to do what they want with their money in their build.

These tests prove eloops are better than nf-f12s though. :D

http://www.overclock.net/t/1389355/fan-testing-round-12-begins-thanks-to-cpachris-and-prymus-nb-e-loop-sp120-nf-f12-cougar-vortex-pwm-vortex-red-led-pirahna-ap-45

I agree completely with your last statement.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

"Additionally doesn't make any sense EXCEPT WITH SLI since 780 doesn't run those resolutions anyways. A single 780 doesn't run 4k or surround well..... SLI 6GB does.

Yeah that makes sense except what card runs those resolutions well as a single card? Nothing. So saying that the 780 doesn't run those resolutions well as a single card doesn't make sense because there are no cards that run those resolutions well as a single card either. 

I saw that test a while ago. Interesting results. Although I think the IPPC's might fair better. IMO it's the motor noise of those NF-F12's being fully taxed at 12V to reach 1500RPM that made them significantly louder than the higher rpm range, B12-3 and AP45. Hopefully Martin adds some more fans like the PL-2 and IPPC NF-F12.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Yeah that makes sense except what card runs those resolutions well as a single card? Nothing. So saying that the 780 doesn't run those resolutions well as a single card doesn't make sense because there are no cards that run those resolutions well as a single card either. 

Hmmm, a 290x/780ti can do 1440p decently, as well as dual GPU cards such as the Titan Z (Totally not recommended) and the R9 295x2 (Highly recommended)