$300 for mid 2009 mac pro, good deal?

i found some guy on craigslist selling a mid 2009 mac pro for 300.The thing is in perfect condition, he said it has been in one of those clear cases since he purchased it. Specs are core 2 duo, 4gb ddr3 and a 120gb 840 evo ssd. 

I just want a nice laptop to take around to the classes I will be taking her in September. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

For basic stuff it will be ok, word excel, browsing etc

Its a little old, and for that sort of price you could possible get something better but considering it has an SSD its not TOO bad

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

you said Mac Pro? not macbook Pro? coz u stated u wanted a "laptop" mac pro is not laptop, macbook is. Anyways, it is a good computer for the price, but (im writing this from a macbook pro 2010) I found 4 GB to be little and upgraded to 8GB RAM as i was running out of memory.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

No, not a good deal.

This is a good deal.

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

No, not a good deal.

This is a good deal.

I'm not a fan of HP

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

you said Mac Pro? not macbook Pro? coz u stated u wanted a "laptop" mac pro is not laptop, macbook is. Anyways, it is a good computer for the price, but (im writing this from a macbook pro 2010) I found 4 GB to be little and upgraded to 8GB RAM as i was running out of memory.

It's a macbook pro, my bad on the title. Do they really chew up that much ram?

No, not a good deal.

This is a good deal.

1GHz AMD dual core... You will absolutely hate your life when using that laptop, it's underpowered for Windows XP or even Android for that matter.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

1GHz AMD dual core... You will absolutely hate your life when using that laptop, it's underpowered for Windows XP or even Android for that matter.

lol 

I say its a good deal espically with the the 120 gb ssd imo go for it

No, not a good deal.

This is a good deal.

How is that a good deal? I wouldn't sell that to my worst enemy.

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

i found some guy on craigslist selling a mid 2009 mac pro for 300.The thing is in perfect condition, he said it has been in one of those clear cases since he purchased it. Specs are core 2 duo, 4gb ddr3 and a 120gb 840 evo ssd. 

I just want a nice laptop to take around to the classes I will be taking her in September.

lol ... $300 for a 2009 mac pro would have been an awesome deal.

$300 for a 2009 MBP with 120GB EVO is imho a good deal as well, if a) the battery is working and B ) it is in decent condition.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

$300 is a fair deal I think. 

To get an idea of what to expect... I still have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 2.93 Ghz Core 2 Duo T9800, Nvidia 9600M GT (512MB), and 8GB ram and works perfect still.  It has an SSD and runs pretty zippy.   runs latest OS X version.   It can take up to 8GB ram max for 2009 models.

It also runs Win 8.1 Pro in bootcamp beautifully.  Although, be aware, these 2009 Macbooks are not supported to run Win 8 (only win7).    You'd have to hack an info.plist file in OS X in order to allow Bootcamp Assistant to get the windows 8.1 install going.  You'd also need to download the Bootcamp drivers for installing into windows.  Also, the Nvidia drivers in Win8 do not install without modifying the .inf files first.   *Send me a PM if interested in a walkthrough showing how to do all that.  It's not hard to do, but it was hard to find the info on how to do it.

I use this laptop mostly just as a dummy terminal to access my other linux servers using ssh, etc.  But I also run Windows, as mentioned above, for business productivity (Cisco & Juniper VPNs to my company servers, IDE client tools for database programming/development, etc).

*be aware it is not great for games.   In OS X I don't use steam.  Steam is really laggy on my Macbook in OS X.  The only game I play in OS X is minecraft.  I use steam in windows bootcamp environment only.  And even then, the only games I play are Farming Simulator, Civ V, and the like.  Those are reasonable playing games for such a machine.  

**the reason I have 8GB on my system is that I also run VMs.  I allocate about 3.3 GB to my Guest OS VMs, which leaves plenty for my Host OS.

My friend owns the 14" Core 2 duo of this, no problems, though the SSD would help his out a lot.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Former mid 2009 macbook pro owner here (it got replaced by a 2010 model). I would say I'ts a fair deal, especially with that SSD. Battery life should be pretty good, it runs your basic apps fast enough, doesn't heat up too much (under normal use), all around a great notebook for studying.

One thing to note: the DisplayPort doesn't support audio so if you want to, say, hook up your notebook to your TV you need a separate audio connection

oh damn, 2009 was 5 years ago! But yeah good for basic tasks and most of what you do in school unless your major requires something more.

No, not a good deal.

This is a good deal.

Lol AMD e1 Processor. You'll be in the grave before that thing loads.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

lol ... $300 for a 2009 mac pro would have been an awesome deal.

$300 for a 2009 MBP with 120GB EVO is imho a good deal as well, if a) the battery is working and B ) it is in decent condition.

It's in astonishing condition, especially for it's age. 

$300 is a fair deal I think. 

To get an idea of what to expect... I still have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 2.93 Ghz Core 2 Duo T9800, Nvidia 9600M GT (512MB), and 8GB ram and works perfect still.  It has an SSD and runs pretty zippy.   runs latest OS X version.   It can take up to 8GB ram max for 2009 models.

It also runs Win 8.1 Pro in bootcamp beautifully.  Although, be aware, these 2009 Macbooks are not supported to run Win 8 (only win7).    You'd have to hack an info.plist file in OS X in order to allow Bootcamp Assistant to get the windows 8.1 install going.  You'd also need to download the Bootcamp drivers for installing into windows.  Also, the Nvidia drivers in Win8 do not install without modifying the .inf files first.   *Send me a PM if interested in a walkthrough showing how to do all that.  It's not hard to do, but it was hard to find the info on how to do it.

I use this laptop mostly just as a dummy terminal to access my other linux servers using ssh, etc.  But I also run Windows, as mentioned above, for business productivity (Cisco & Juniper VPNs to my company servers, IDE client tools for database programming/development, etc).

*be aware it is not great for games.   In OS X I don't use steam.  Steam is really laggy on my Macbook in OS X.  The only game I play in OS X is minecraft.  I use steam in windows bootcamp environment only.  And even then, the only games I play are Farming Simulator, Civ V, and the like.  Those are reasonable playing games for such a machine.  

**the reason I have 8GB on my system is that I also run VMs.  I allocate about 3.3 GB to my Guest OS VMs, which leaves plenty for my Host OS.

I've got my desktop to game on, mainly just wanted to use this for browsing the web and doing school work.