Graphics Card Dilemma GTX 780 or 880?

Dear Linustechtips members,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, i don't know what i should do.

After a few weeks of hard working i finally got myself some cash to buy a new Graphics card.

i decided to go for the Nvidia GTX 780 because of its performence and CUDA cores.

but since the 880 is not far away as i heard i don't know if i should wait for the 880 or go for the 780 now or wait for the 780 to drop in price soon after the 880 is released.

I'm learning to become a video editor/VFX artist

and my current rig is sadly too underpowered for the work i currently do.

I would like to have some advice since that would help me very much.

Current components in my rig:

Case: Coolermaster K380 (already ordered the Aerocool Xpredator White edition)

MOBO: Asrock extreme 3 990FX

CPU; AMD FX8350 Black edition

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB

Don't know what the proper name for it is but i'll just call it: RAM

RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Hyper X blu

PSU: OCZ 600W Modular PSU (planning to buy the Corsair CX750M)

2 x 1 TB HDD Seagate and WD

1 x 120 GB Kingston SSD

1 x Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Soundcard

every suggestion is welcome and please ask me if i forgot something.

the GTX880 will be better

but no specs yet but expect it to be way faster than the GTX780

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Do you want/need the GPU now? Then GTX 780. If you can wait, the GTX 880. Also I would take a look at the EVGA 750W G2 for a PSU.

Quote me to get a reply!

Based on the rumours it sounds like the 880 is going to be nothing special so.... it's up to you, like the 780 is pretty damn powerful. 

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

If you can hold out for a few more months, getting the 880 is probably your best choice. That said, the 880 doesn't exist yet. It's a concept, which may have been leaked or whatever, but it still does not exist yet, or even maybe ever, so it's up to you.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Wow thanks for the fast awnsers. 

My school starts in at the beginning of september. but do you guys think the 780 is going to drop in price fast soon after the 880 is released?

@durinho Well it'd probably be good to either wait to purchase the GTX 780 after the 800 series has officially launched. The price will plummet quite a bit & deciding between the new flagship to the previous flagship will really make your choice a lot easier.

I forgot to say; Hello & welcome to the LTT forum.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I chose something else,

because we don't know price, TDP, or performance yet of the 880.

[spoiler=Gaming Desktop ◣_◢ ] CPU: Amd FX8320 8core@4.4Ghz oc Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (Artic Silver 5 Goo) Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3P am3/am3+ RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 16gbs ddr3(2x8gb) 1866mhz GPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/oc 17.5% 1175core 1450mem Hdd: Sandisk 128Gb ssd boot drive, 2x1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd, 2Tb WD MyBook 7200rpm external hdd PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+Bronze full Modular Case: Rosewill Challenger USB3.0v Mid-tower OS: W7 64bit Hp Keyboard:MS sidewinder 6x,Logitech K400 wireless Mouse:Logitech 318e Controller:xbox360 wired Monitor:23" Dell 1080p 60Hz LED-backlit LCD, 50" Sceptre 1080p 60Hz LED HDTVHeadphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: Dell AX210 USB [spoiler=Workstation - retiring soon _ ]CPU: Amd 645 4core@3.1Ghz Mobo: ASRock A785GM-LE am3 RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3(4x2gb) 1333mhz GPU: XFX HD 5570 1gb ddr3 650core 900mem Hdd:1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd  PSU: Antec BP350 350w

Case: DIYPC FM08-Blue2 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case OS: W7 64bit Hp [spoiler=Gaming Laptop ಠ_ಠ ] CPU: Intel I7- 4700hq 4core@2.4Ghz 3.4Ghz turbo  Model: MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003 Gaming Laptop RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3 (1x8gbs)1600mhz GPU: NVIDIA GTX 860M 2gbs gddr5 1029core 1253mem

Hdd: 1Tb WD 7200rpm hdd OS: W8.1 64bit Keyboard: Steel Series Gaming Backlit 102 keys Monitor: 15.6" LCD eDP Wide View Angle Headphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: 4 x Speakers (2W)

Wow thanks for the fast awnsers. 

My school starts in at the beginning of september. but do you guys think the 780 is going to drop in price fast soon after the 880 is released?

The 780 itself probably wont drop as according to the rumar mill, it's going to be a GK104 replacement (which is the 770)

@wng_kingsley7

Thanks! Really helpful members here at the forum.

there is no official release date out yet right?

@wng_kingsley7

There was some thing on the forum the other day about Gigabyte leaking the release date.

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

@wng_kingsley7

as of this moment, no however should it be said probably next month or in Oct rumored to be the dates many websites are leaking nvidia's launch date. Personally if there isn't much change in the die's processing it'd might not be worth the upgrade to me (the future is unknown) 

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

There was some thing on the forum the other day about Gigabyte leaking the release date.

Yeah...but personally I didn't see it as a big deal, sure 1 of the big three gpu vendor's for nvidia's supposedly has given information that it'll be launching this October but I don't personally plan on buying the 800 series just yet. I had originally believe that it'd be next year close to Q1, definitely before Q2 with a larger impact (I talk like I know but I don't.)

Also I would take a look at the EVGA 750W G2 for a PSU.

Thanks i'll take a look at it.

Yeah...but personally I didn't see it as a big deal, sure 1 of the big three gpu vendor's for nvidia's supposedly has given information that it'll be launching this October but I don't personally plan on buying the 800 series just yet. I had originally believe that it'd be next year close to Q1, definitely before Q2 with a larger impact (I talk like I know but I don't.)

I'm just going to sit here and continue to recommend GPUs that we do know stuff about, for all we know the 880 will be a flop (I'm prepared to die for suggesting that), but the best thing really is to go for the current flagship products.  

So if the 880 will be a replacement for the 770 do you guys think it will outperform the 780 aswell?

GTX880 is an unknown, it could be only margianally better in performance than the 780. But it is speculated it could use a lot less power due to the Maxwell architecture.

Worse yet it could be more expensive to wait for the 880 as they may go back to the 780 launch price ($649.99) if AMD can't compete.

If only we all could afford 8 SSD's in Raid 0  :wub:

Worse yet it could be more expensive to wait for the 880 as they may go back to the 780 launch price ($649.99) if AMD can't compete.

Well let's not hope for that that would mean that i'm screwed. have they done this before?

I chose something else,

because we don't know price, TDP, or performance yet of the 880.

what would you choose then?

GTX880 is an unknown, it could be only margianally better in performance than the 780. But it is speculated it could use a lot less power due to the Maxwell architecture.

Well let's not hope for that that would mean that i'm screwed. have they done this before?

Well the GTX480 launched $499.99, GTX580 launched for $499.99 and GTX 680 launched for $499.99, roughly a year later NVidea released the GTX 780 ($649.99), at the time AMD was still on the HD7970 (top of range) and it was a while till the r9 290x was released, and when it was released the GTX780 dropped to $499.99 in a week. So if AMD don't have anything, I wouldn't be suprised. 

Well the GTX480 launched $499.99, GTX580 launched for $499.99 and GTX 680 launched for $499.99, roughly a year later NVidea released the GTX 780 ($649.99), at the time AMD was still on the HD7970 (top of range) and it was a while till the r9 290x was released, and when it was released the GTX780 dropped to $499.99 in a week. So if AMD don't have anything, I wouldn't be suprised. 

My main concern is that i need to have a GPU  build for the future. one that can handle games 1-2 years from now at higher resolutions. (2k / 4k) is it worth it to buy the 780 now?

My main concern is that i need to have a GPU  build for the future. one that can handle games 1-2 years from now at higher resolutions. (2k / 4k) is it worth it to buy the 780 now?

gtx780 cant run games at 1440P

let alone 4K

the GTX880 may have a better chance of powering 1440P

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I can't guarantee anything but maybe the GTX 780 6GB from EVGA (I think it costs $569.99), may probably be able to handle 1440p with its massive amount of vram. It can handle BF4 Ultra 1080p @144Hz with ease. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGcIBe9QhUU

If I was in the market for a GPU, I think that the Evga GTX 780 6gb edition would be my choice. Plenty of VRAM and when overclocked the 780 can compete with a stock titan. So basically with an overclock you should have a stock titan without double precision floating point (double precision isn't for gaming anyway).

what would you choose then?

Was no option for;

wait :)

I like to know performance, benchmarks, TDP, OC potential, & price before making a decision(also price change of all other cards).

Doesn't seem smart to make purchase's ever on hype or rumor.

[spoiler=Gaming Desktop ◣_◢ ] CPU: Amd FX8320 8core@4.4Ghz oc Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (Artic Silver 5 Goo) Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3P am3/am3+ RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 16gbs ddr3(2x8gb) 1866mhz GPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/oc 17.5% 1175core 1450mem Hdd: Sandisk 128Gb ssd boot drive, 2x1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd, 2Tb WD MyBook 7200rpm external hdd PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+Bronze full Modular Case: Rosewill Challenger USB3.0v Mid-tower OS: W7 64bit Hp Keyboard:MS sidewinder 6x,Logitech K400 wireless Mouse:Logitech 318e Controller:xbox360 wired Monitor:23" Dell 1080p 60Hz LED-backlit LCD, 50" Sceptre 1080p 60Hz LED HDTVHeadphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: Dell AX210 USB [spoiler=Workstation - retiring soon _ ]CPU: Amd 645 4core@3.1Ghz Mobo: ASRock A785GM-LE am3 RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3(4x2gb) 1333mhz GPU: XFX HD 5570 1gb ddr3 650core 900mem Hdd:1Tb Hitachi 7200rpm hdd  PSU: Antec BP350 350w

Case: DIYPC FM08-Blue2 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case OS: W7 64bit Hp [spoiler=Gaming Laptop ಠ_ಠ ] CPU: Intel I7- 4700hq 4core@2.4Ghz 3.4Ghz turbo  Model: MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003 Gaming Laptop RAM: Corsair 8gbs ddr3 (1x8gbs)1600mhz GPU: NVIDIA GTX 860M 2gbs gddr5 1029core 1253mem

Hdd: 1Tb WD 7200rpm hdd OS: W8.1 64bit Keyboard: Steel Series Gaming Backlit 102 keys Monitor: 15.6" LCD eDP Wide View Angle Headphones:Turtlebeach X12 Speakers: 4 x Speakers (2W)