BRAND NEW PC and I'm having "GPU" Issues?

imaustinfrom94
Go to solution Solved by imaustinfrom94,

So. For anyone who might have been following this. I got my Card Working. through some weirdness.

So First. Like i had done already: Went into the control panel and UNINSTALLED ALL NVIDIA Drivers and The intel HD Audio/Graphics Drivers.

(screen was really buggy at this point without drivers.)

Reinstalled video card after a few days without it.

Tried a normal install of "NVIDIA GRAPHICS DRIVER 327.23"

No luck..

Then uninstalled All nvidia drivers again..

Restarted...

went into bios.. and changed the PCIe speeds all to Gen3

then reinstalled Nvidia driver 327.23 but, did a custom install... And unselected all of the extra software that came with the download, leaving only the 'Graphics Driver"

it installed.. and prompted me to reboot.. so i did.

Test #1: Rust. Worked fine (gained hope)

Test #2: (minecraft [with and without shaders]) Passed (getting excited)

Test #3: Black Ops 2 (the most confusing to date..) Worked with flying colors! All games work on Full HD and im seeing no problems after 2+ hours of rust. and 2+ hours of minecraft.

Whatever i may have done.. Those are the steps i Took.. and although i Cant say what did it exactly.. Im sure it was something there. Sadly, im not adventurous enough to try to change setting to see what the exact culprit was.

I'd just like to thank all of you who had helped me up to this point though, my ideas were only sparked by the help you gave! 

My Specs:

-------------------

CPU: Intel i7-4790k

RAM: 16gb corsair vengeance

MOBO: Asus Z97-A

GPU: Asus GTX 660 DCUII OC

HDD: 256GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

PSU: Corsair CX750W 

Extra:

Using H100i To cool my 4790k

2 Sp120's on the Dual rad of the H100i

2 Sp120's in front of the case

and 1120mm fan that came with the Phantom 410.

----------------------

Hey There Everyone! Yesterday my Brand New pc Build was finished! 

I say "Finished" because  was only waiting for the GPU to come in.

Its a great looking card, and looks awesome in my red Phantom 410.

But Anyways: on to the troubles:

Until my card came in, I was stuck with the integrated graphics on my processor, and to be honest the integrated graphics were much better than i thought they would be! For simple games, like Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 i was able to play on low to mid detail with around 40 FPS.

Forward to yesterday, and today. I installed my Graphics card, and instead of using the drivers disk that Asus sent with it, i went directly to their site, and Nvidia's (compared version numbers) so that i was sure i'd have the most up-to-date version f the Drivers. I also downloaded GPU tweak directly from Asus aswell. I dont have many games on my steam account as of now - that will change soon - But the two most frequent games i've played are Black ops 2 and Minecraft.

On minecraft I use a Mod that adds in crazy lighting effects, shadows, etc. and that is known to take a toll on your fps and such. I was playing for a good 30 Minutes or so, when suddenly my screen flashed white, just one time. I shrugged it off and thought maybe it was an in-game/client side bug. Then less than a few seconds later my entire screen went black, and my monitor's activity LED went red. Then it all turned back on and gives me this "Windows Flag"

http://gyazo.com/a8509a0227fbd77d88ed4f5c7280c206

I went into GPU Tweak and didnt notice anything weird, so out of curiousity i changed my Fan Profile so that it would rotate a bit faster a lower temps to see if maybe it had overheated (not likely).

It was good though, i had no problems until today. The errors happen more frequently on minecraft now...

When i go into Black ops 2 though its a weirder story... I go through the process to join a game, select my player class, and then start playing... maybe a minute or two later, Black ops 2 goes black, and i only see my desktop (with Black ops 2 audio playing). I have even tried turning Black ops 2 to Medium/Low Detail and the same thing happens! Luckily i Left GPU Tweak open the last time it happen and was able to take a Snapshot of this "odd" jump that occurred as it happened.

This first picture is the whole GPU Tweak interface, and the Second is a "close-up" of the activity jump, if its not already noticeable.

http://gyazo.com/5882d906547f909655542db363324acc

http://gyazo.com/85713a08bace4b07406830225822400f

That's all i can really say for now! I'm pretty bummed.. I finally got a 'sick' computer.. and its not working right..

Side Note: Out of curiosity... I tried reinstalling my GPU, No effect..

Uninstall the driver and download an earlier one and see if it still does it.

UPDATE: As for what TheMcSame said:

I installed a driver from march, and So far so good. 

I have successfully made it through a single game of Black ops 2 with no disconnetion -  ill update you later.

Well I spoke to early.. I just happened Again. Thanks for your help thus far.

Any other ideas?

Ive Also Tried the Game 'Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Phantoms"    and it doesnt 'shut off' But the screen freezes for 10 seconds or so, then comes back on.

do you have a spare GPU that you can try out?

since you suspected it a GPU problem and driver re install didnt help

have you check if the power cables and the GPU is installed correctly?

how about swapping the GPU to the next graphics slot 

just to be sure its not the mobo problem

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Ive Also Tried the Game 'Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Phantoms"    and it doesnt 'shut off' But the screen freezes for 10 seconds or so, then comes back on.

follow your topic, and have you tried using stress software like kombustor ?

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Did you try to uninstall the or tell windows to use the gpu instead of the integrated graphics because you used the integrated graphics first by default windows knows to use that over the graphics card. :rolleyes:

Sorry I haven't been keeping g up to well folks! I work the night shift... So I have some goofy hours. I did try switching the slot. That didnt work. I installed and reinstalled quite a dew different driver versions.

How do I "tell windows to use the GPU" instead?

So.. Another update for the night.. I've run the following:

Cinebench

Kumbostor

Furmark

and with kumbostor and Furmark i ran for 15 minutes. with NO CRASH

BUT

Running black ops 2 or Shaded Minecraft still crashes.

Thanks for your help thus far, again.

I really hope to solve this issue..

how about unigine?

or 3DMark Firestrike?

i will suggest re install those games in question which cause the crash

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Have you tried Minecraft without shaders ??

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

how about unigine?

or 3DMark Firestrike?

i will suggest re install those games in question which cause the crash

I have reinstalled both games. With no affect. As for the benchmarks you reccomended, I will try them tomorrow as I am about to go into work.

Have you tried Minecraft without shaders ??

Yes. I have and it doesn't crash nearly as often but. It still does.

when did you install/refresh your windows the last time

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

As this is a brand new build. Windows was installed on it about a week ago. And the GPU was installed 2 days ago.

Just as an idea, pop into the bios and turn off the onboard graphics; if you havnt already done so that is. It might be a conflict with the intel graphics, and the nvidia GPU.

If the iGPU works and the 660 doesnt, RMA it ;)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

So, I went into Bios, and changed primary display to PCIE and when i played black ops 2 this time.. my 'crash' was different...

This time, when i froze, a second or so of sound looped... for awhile, then the screen remained frozen, and only 'ambient' sounds were playing.. Black ops 2 remained on my display and no key combinations that i could do would remove it.. (windows key.. Ctrl + Alt + Del/Esc)

So i bought the game rust, right before my pc came in - and i finally installed it today. And I get the same issues as with the other games. So out of 'annoyance' i unistalled my GPU and tried playing it then. And it works fine. is it a physical issue with the gpu im having?

So i bought the game rust, right before my pc came in - and i finally installed it today. And I get the same issues as with the other games. So out of 'annoyance' i unistalled my GPU and tried playing it then. And it works fine. is it a physical issue with the gpu im having?

I would think so.

I mean the crashing doesn't happen when you have the gpu out of the system and you said everything works fine when just using the integrated gpu.

I think you should rma the gpu.

Or if really want to see if its the gpu causing the problems, try stress testing the gpu using 3DMark or Furmark.

• CPU:  Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHz
  • Motherboard:  MSI Z77A-G45 
  • RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance 2133Mhz
  • Graphics:  EVGA GTX 970
  • PSU: Corsair AX850
  • Cooling:  Corsair H100i
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R5
  • Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE Cherry MX Red
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
  • Headphones: Corsair Vengeance 1400
  • Monitor: BenQ XL2420TE 24" 1ms 144Hz

I would think so.

I mean the crashing doesn't happen when you have the gpu out of the system and you said everything works fine when just using the integrated gpu.

I think you should rma the gpu.

Or if really want to see if its the gpu causing the problems, try stress testing the gpu using 3DMark or Furmark.

3dMark Costa money doesn't it? So I didn't do 3d mark. But I've let the card run for over 30minutea on both Furmark and Kumbostor. With no crashing..