Is The Verge still a credible reviewer?

BallGum

So the Verge is doing a series of these videos called 'this is my next', and they've announced what they think the best phone is, in an earlier video, and what the best tablet is in this video linked. (Don't worry, this isn't a fanboy rant).

In the previous video they labelled the 5S as the best phone available right now, which, while I felt was an odd choice, made some sense considering it had no major shortcomings, while the HTC One had a poor camera, and the S5 had been tainted by all that is Samsung, 

In this video however, they labelled both the iPad Air and iPad Mini as the best tablets, and then said, and I quote, "...there are countless other tablets on the market too, but most of them aren't actually worth your consideration"

And they downplay many other tablets with downright absurd claims, some of which aren't accurate at all. For instance, the Nexus 7 is supposedly plagued by software issues. 

I did feel that some of their other videos also had elements of bias, but convinced myself it was just me misinterpreting things, or making a mountain out of a molehill, like the video called "How Samsung can take on the iPhone 6".

Anyways, curious to see your opinions on the matter. Am I just a fanboy or are these legitimate claims?

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Oh no, they like Apple! Everything they say means nothing!

/s

I have a Nexus 7. It's great, but it had software issues on the stock system image.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I miss iBooks on Android.

Oh no, they like Apple! Everything they say means nothing!

/s

I have a Nexus 7. It's great, but it had software issues on the stock system image.

I'm not saying liking Apple is bad, it's just the general vibe I get from them and the way they downplay the competition. If they like Apple, great. 

I also have a Nexus 7 and haven't run into any problems. Could you elaborate?

I'm not saying liking Apple is bad, it's just the general vibe I get from them and the way they downplay the competition. If they like Apple, great. 

I also have a Nexus 7 and haven't run into any problems. Could you elaborate?

Random app crashes (stock apps too), random restarts, alarm clocks not properly working and some physical issues pertaining to build quality. I own both generations of the Nexus 7.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So he was supposed to say what the best tablet is and instead all he is doing is licking Apple's rear end and then rip on every other devices... I feel like someone is getting well paid to make this video or we have a serious fanboy here.

It finishes with...

'...and the Ipad Air is the best one you can get' and is titled 'The Best Tablet You Can Buy' 

It's obviously a biased review, but I don't think it's trying to hide it. You should always be cautious of reviews and media in general based on the language they use.

Despite being biased the journalist selectively chooses some of the features of the Ipad that could be deemed superior but there is no defining line as with any product, although he did make some fair points.

This is not an impartial review and you shouldn't really need to ask.

>Complains about software issues

>Using dev preview OS

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Random app crashes (stock apps too), random restarts, alarm clocks not properly working and some physical issues pertaining to build quality. I own both generations of the Nexus 7.

I've had a couple app crashes with tapatalk, but I'm returned to the homescreen with a message telling me something went wrong and asking to send a report. On my iPad Mini however, I'm returned to the homescreen when something goes wrong and there is no prompt at all.

Beyond that, my experience with the Nexus 7 2013 has been practically flawless.

It finishes with...

'...and the Ipad Air is the best one you can get' and is titled 'The Best Tablet You Can Buy' 

It's obviously a biased review, but I don't think it's trying to hide it. You should always be cautious of reviews and media in general based on the language they use.

Despite being biased the journalist selectively chooses some of the features of the Ipad that could be deemed superior but there is no defining line as with any product, although he did make some fair points.

This is not an impartial review and you shouldn't really need to ask.

The question was more to promote a discussion to see if others disagreed. 

My college's computer science department lends us Nexus 7s for testing and development. I swear, the thing is possessed. It will press random buttons by itself.

They're a consumer tech site and they write from the point of view of a consumer. That's not me defending them, that's not me complaining at them, it's just what it is.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

The Verge is definitely quite biased towards Apple in product reviews and they have been for quite awhile.  I remember reading their Nexus 5 review, and they stated that the hardware design was simplistic and allows the OS to be the star of the show, and at the bottom puts "Hardware design is unexciting" as a con.  It's not like that's a big problem, you just have to remember when reading Verge reviews about their own biases as well as your biases.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

The Verge is definitely quite biased towards Apple in product reviews and they have been for quite awhile.  I remember reading their Nexus 5 review, and they stated that the hardware design was simplistic and allows the OS to be the star of the show, and at the bottom puts "Hardware design is unexciting" as a con.  It's not like that's a big problem, you just have to remember when reading Verge reviews about their own biases as well as your biases.

Yeah I agree. I understand that no one is 100% objective, but this keeps cropping up and I found it a little annoying, as the Verge is a pretty big site.