Tips on remembering and learning commands?

Akolyte

I'm homeschooled and I'm in my final years and want to get as good as I can at programming and coding.  I decided to start off with Javascript, and then figured I should learn HTML before hand which was easy, but I'm forgetting some of the tags, and with Javascript, I'm forgetting a ton of stuff.  I have Dyslexia and am starting to fear I can never learn programming! :(

So, do you have any tips on remembering commands?

you need to take your time, you will learn from your mistakes there is nothing to worry about just keep on trying (atleast thats how i learned crappy html)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Get an IDE. For compiled code, it'll point out your mistakes immediately, and have suggestions when you type. 

Idk how well javascript/html IDEs work since i just use sublime text. Years ago I tried Webstorm by jetbrains. I like intelIJ, so I imagine it's good, but I don't remember. 

But I know with css they can be a huge help. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Make a list or 'cheat sheet' of the most commonly used things you forget.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Get an IDE. For compiled code, it'll point out your mistakes immediately, and have suggestions when you type. 

Idk how well javascript/html IDEs work since i just use sublime text. Years ago I tried Webstorm by jetbrains. I like intelIJ, so I imagine it's good, but I don't remember. 

But I know with css they can be a huge help. 

I'm using siblime text too. 

I'm homeschooled and I'm in my final years and want to get as good as I can at programming and coding.  I decided to start off with Javascript, and then figured I should learn HTML before hand which was easy, but I'm forgetting some of the tags, and with Javascript, I'm forgetting a ton of stuff.  I have Dyslexia and am starting to fear I can never learn programming! :(

So, do you have any tips on remembering commands?

I too have Dyslexia, mine is classified as severe. I am also doubly disadvantaged in that I also have severe Dyscalculia. It's excellent you have come to terms with your learning difficulty early on. For me as soon as my ordeal of school was over I ran as far away from education as I could (there were other contributing factors) and ended up going through a very harsh period in early life as a blue collar worker. It was only later in my life that I returned to education and was formally diagnosed. Indeed some of the lecturers on my degree were of the disposition that I had no right to even be there. I was even told this openly to my face one particular time when I was struggling with the mathematics. I am now enjoying the last laugh however as I am very successful and am currently working for a very large multi national company. Moreover I am in very high demand for freelancing/consultancy in my free time and I also receive a fair number of phone calls each week from agents and head hunters.

My point is simply this; face your problems and turn them into your advantages. Failure is not an option.

Recalling language specific commands and syntax is greatly aided by real working experience with the language. Even so it's completely normal that you won't recall everything, this is further compounded when you start to pick up more languages. I certainly can't recall everything and very often have to fall back to the internet or past code to remember... as I said, this is completely normal and every one of my colleagues is exactly the same.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Use reference websites. That's what I have always done.

I still have to lookup Printf for all the string formatting nonsense. :P

For HTML and Javascript, MDN is absolutely fantastic.

Also, what @Syntaxvgm and @Nuluvius said. A good IDE will have autocomplete and tell you the names of all the members and methods of a class/object... and the more you work with a language the more you will remember about it. So keep at it! But you'll never remember everything and there will always be new things to learn about which is what I find reference material absolutely perfect for.

Just keep using them. When you can't remember one, just look it up on the Internet. You will slowly start remembering them, the only way to remember them is to use them regularly. You can't remember something if you have only seen it once.

Keep practising.

Learning

guys what language do you think I should start with, aka beginner no experience at all. A language that would be good to use.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

guys what language do you think I should start with, aka beginner no experience at all. A language that would be good to use.

I've heard timeless times Javascript is good because it can be developped from mac, PC, linux or wherever, or Barnacules made a video on C# (C Sharp) and I think C# is a high level language which means its bit further from machine code and should be easier to understand but at the same time C# is a compiled language so you can't see and learn from other's source code.  As with Javascript you can see other webiste's code and learn from it.  

Either way, I've found HTML to be a great starter.  I think its worth learning the main HTML tags before starting Javascript. 

I too have Dyslexia, mine is classified as severe. I am also doubly disadvantaged in that I also have severe Dyscalculia. It's excellent you have come to terms with your learning difficulty early on. For me as soon as my ordeal of school was over I ran as far away from education as I could (there were other contributing factors) and ended up going through a very harsh period in early life as a blue collar worker. It was only later in my life that I returned to education and was formally diagnosed. Indeed some of the lecturers on my degree were of the disposition that I had no right to even be there. I was even told this openly to my face one particular time when I was struggling with the mathematics. I am now enjoying the last laugh however as I am very successful and am currently working for a very large multi national company. Moreover I am in very high demand for freelancing/consultancy in my free time and I also receive a fair number of phone calls each week from agents and head hunters.

My point is simply this; face your problems and turn them into your advantages. Failure is not an option.

Recalling language specific commands and syntax is greatly aided by real working experience with the language. Even so it's completely normal that you won't recall everything, this is further compounded when you start to pick up more languages. I certainly can't recall everything and very often have to fall back to the internet or past code to remember... as I said, this is completely normal and every one of my colleagues is exactly the same.

Its so tough with Dyslexia, my friends and parents say forgetting things is normal with Dyslexia, not sure.  But, I think what I need is to just get that grasp on how programming works and I'll be good as Gold, same with Math.  I am complete crap at Math but if someone explains it to me in a completely different way, I can be better than everyone at working out problems. 

Well I've got a pretty bad form of Dyslexia but the only thing I think I'm in a disadvantage with is I'm not recoginising typo's in variable names and stuff like that. 

I think its true remembering things with Dyslexia is a bit harder. I've had a lot of trouble learning Ductch-English word translations when I was 10-14 for example. Some friends of mine studied for half an hour and got a 8 (scale 1-10) and I would have to study more then 4 hours to get atleast a 5 (1-10). Automatisation is a bit harder for poeple with Dyslexia usaually but if you use a good IDE and learn how to quickly use a API reference you're good. Eventually you will learn those function names and stuff like that, thrust me.

What you tell about Maths is an example of it, once you know how it works and "see" it you're golden and perfectly understand how it works but when its not explained properly you understand it perfectly when explained but next day you can't remember some simple thins about the way to solve that problem. Most of the time those little details you forgot like what n^x*n^2x is for example.

Also, Albert Einstein was as Dyslectic as a door, he couldn't even write a letter and more then half of the NASA (NO NOT FUCKING NSA, NASA) employees have Dyslexia, thats not without a reason ;)

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd