3TB Seagate Barracuda Harddrive at newegg -$85

AndThenThereWas1

Wonder why it has so low of reviews?

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Wonder why it has so low of reviews?

bad reliability but to be honest its either a hit or miss for reliabiltiy in hard drives they could die in just 2 weeks or live for 9+ years (mine did but was a different storage capicity) Its all luck

bad reliability but to be honest its either a hit or miss for reliability in hard drives they could die in just 2 weeks or live for 9+ years (mine did but was a different storage capacity) Its all luck

Umm...okay? You do know its based on model right? Very specific numbers of models are better then others...I believe it was an amazon review I read (not on this drive) but there are different grades within models...Seagate drives have never ever failed on me and some of them have outlasted Blacks I had. To say its bad reliability is to say the ocean is blue (its not its black and green as well). The reliability of the drive grades within the particular Seagate model is entirely based on a few letters and numbers the general public (and myself) doesn't understand.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

92f263609a5780d2416a294d3e9df8f5.png

When your worst ratings is nearly on par with the best, that is some serious quality control issues.

Hard drives are luck of the draw, especially when you are buying the entry level ones such as Western Digital Blues and Seagate Barracudas.  Even external hard drives are dicey.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

3TB hard drives actually aren't that great from what I remember. In terms of reliability and life, they had trouble. I think someone on this forum told me a while ago to not get a 3TB drive. I'm not sure I remember correctly though. 

92f263609a5780d2416a294d3e9df8f5.png

When your worst ratings is nearly on par with the best, that is some serious quality control issues.

As I said before it is the numbers within the model number...is that quality control...yes....that in turn is basically what I had said. Just far less complicated. :P

Hard drives are luck of the draw, especially when you are buying the entry level ones such as Western Digital Blues and Seagate Barracudas.  Even external hard drives are dicey.

Yes they are....but even premium ones like Western Digital Blacks & Hitachi Drives & even SSD's are completely luck of the draw as well, you shouldn't limit it to just "entry level hard drives". Also IMHO I know plenty of people that use Seagate Barracudas in high end machines...

3TB hard drives actually aren't that great from what I remember. In terms of reliability and life, they had trouble. I think someone on this forum told me a while ago to not get a 3TB drive. I'm not sure I remember correctly though. 

Hitachi or WD is who I would go with for 3TB or higher.

As I said before it is the numbers within the model number...is that quality control...yes....that in turn is basically what I had said. Just far less complicated. :P

Yes they are....but even premium ones like Western Digital Blacks & Hitachi Drives & even SSD's are completely luck of the draw as well, you shouldn't limit it to just "entry level hard drives". Also IMHO I know plenty of people that use Seagate Barracudas in high end machines...

I use a Seagate Barracuda, it is relatively new, but the price is right.  I also have a Western Digital External 2TB "My Book" HDD that is from 2008 and is running right now.  The failures are more prevalent in the entry level HDs, but as you said, it can even happen to workstation grade hardware.  Completely luck of the draw.  My personal preference is to buy less expensive hard drives and buy multiples for backups. Also, anything greater than 2TB tends to have a higher rate of failure, so I have heard.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I use a Seagate Barracuda, it is relatively new, but the price is right.  I also have a Western Digital External 2TB "My Book" HDD that is from 2008 and is running right now.  The failures are more prevalent in the entry level HDs, but as you said, it can even happen to workstation grade hardware.  Completely luck of the draw.  My personal preference is to buy less expensive hard drives and buy multiples for backups. Also, anything greater than 2TB tends to have a higher rate of failure, so I have heard.

Yep I have heard the same thing...tho I plan on running 3 TB Seagate drives in Raid 1 (2 Sets)

Umm...okay? You do know its based on model right? Very specific numbers of models are better then others...I believe it was an amazon review I read (not on this drive) but there are different grades within models...Seagate drives have never ever failed on me and some of them have outlasted Blacks I had. To say its bad reliability is to say the ocean is blue (its not its black and green as well). The reliability of the drive grades within the particular Seagate model is entirely based on a few letters and numbers the general public (and myself) doesn't understand.

I didn't say all of them fail I'm just saying sometimes they can last for years and sometimes they die in a week but according to the reviews in newegg there are some problems with the quality control of that drive. I don't hate on segate actually all of my hard drives are from segate

I didn't say all of them fail I'm just saying sometimes they can last for years and sometimes they die in a week but according to the reviews in newegg there are some problems with the quality control of that drive. I don't hate on segate actually all of my hard drives are from segate

I'm not sure if it is a question of quality control, I think it is just the nature of hard drives to be unreliable.  I don't know enough about the QC process, but for as long as I have been around computers and buying parts, hard drives have always been iffy.

I'm not sure if it is a question of quality control, I think it is just the nature of hard drives to be unreliable.  I don't know enough about the QC process, but for as long as I have been around computers and buying parts, hard drives have always been iffy.

Rule of thumb anything with moving parts in it is prone to failure at some point.

Its just a matter of luck just buy it.

faillure rating dont say anything.

My 1TB baracuda runs fine sofar.

I had less luck with a WD

Its just a matter of luck just buy it.

faillure rating dont say anything.

My 1TB baracuda runs fine sofar.

I had less luck with a WD

Same here I've actually had Seagates outlast WD.

Seagate and even WD i believe cut back on warranties. Not too reassuring when buying a drive tbh.