i7 owners - why go for the i7 instead of i5?

I've been seeing quite a few people with i7's instead of i5's and I wanted to know why some of you with gaming rigs would pay the extra cash for a CPU with the same gaming performance.

I'm not trying to bash anyone for their hardware choice, but it seems like a waste of money for most users.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I've been seeing quite a few people with i7's instead of i5's and I wanted to know why some of you with gaming rigs would pay the extra cash for a CPU with the same gaming performance.

I'm not trying to bash anyone for their hardware choice, but it seems like a waste of money for most users.

Cause we rich $$$$$

"Rawr XD"

e peen 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Cause we rich $$$$$

bro u ain't ballin with a 920.

who you trying to fool?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

In some games, the i7 4790K performs better than the i5 4690K, and games are starting to take advantage of more than 4 cores. Even then, for a lot of people, the money put into an i7 over an i5 can't be put somewhere else to more significantly improve it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I always stick with the notion that, you should always get the best you can possibly afford. That to me, meant an i7.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

bro u ain't ballin with a 920.

who you trying to fool?

At least it's an i7

"Rawr XD"

i honestly did it "because i can"

i could tell you that it was to be more futureproof, or because i may or may not need some virtualization capabilities perhaps in the future, but that's all BS. an i5 would be just fine for me

but i don't want to spend 200€ for something that is not "the best", if i can spend 300€ for "the best"

extreme editions just don't count

and bigger number

Wouldn't the I7 give you more multitasking ability over the I5? So that way you can game, and do other shit at the same time, but with a more responsive system?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

video editing, rendering, and running servers 24/7/365

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Maybe 3D Modeling, Rendering, Photoshop and gaming?

This, and bragging rights.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 is bigger than 5. Plus I got the cash. $$$$

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

for the additional i's

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Wouldn't the I7 give you more multitasking ability over the I5? So that way you can game, and do other shit at the same time, but with a more responsive system?

The difference would be hyper threading? 

The difference would be hyper threading? 

Yeah, wouldn't that allow you to do more at once? like game on one screen and do a bunch of other stuff like posting/youtube etc. on another screen? I do that now with SWTOR, but wouldn't a hyperthreaded processor have better performance for it? not that mine seems to have any trouble

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What I should say is that since some games are starting to take advantage of more threads, and that I wanted the i7 for theoretical longevity..

That wasn't my real reason.

The truth is just that my laptop has an i7, and I didn't want my desktop to be "worse" in any way.. I had some extra moneys sitting around, so why not?

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I got my i7 so I could read more threads like this. On another point...rarely do "reviewers" benchmark CPUs in games, so we don't always see the benefit. I don't understand why some members on this forum don't think gamers can also be tech enthusiasts. All gamers don't have to build budget rigs. I bought a 7.2 surround sound instead of a 5.1 setup. The 5.1 would be just fine, but why not, right? Why do we drive instead of walking? Why did I order lobster instead of chicken? Why watercool when stock cooling works just fine? I hope you enjoy your i5.

@Vacsol

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

I got the consumer grade i7 and I see no reason to go smaller, since I can consider myself lucky and not being on a budget what so ever. And yes the last generations of consumer grade i7 were fantastic CPUs no doubt about it.

I do some video editing and lots of benchmarking and in many benchmarks you see huge gaps between the i5 and i7. With that being said I regret that I sold my 2011 and got a consumer grade board and CPU... that´s why I am so excited about the X99 Wellsburg and Haswell E, I just want more cores and threads. I would have sold my i7 4770K long time ago but I personally found the X79 kind of out dated since it´s been around more than 3 three years. And there was just no option around.

And as a big plus all the i7 users will benefit of their HT because it´s getting more and more applicable in games.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

overhead,

40 % of a cpu being used will run better than a cpu using 75 % .

period

I have seen improvements from a 2500k at 5.0ghz to a 3770k at 4.6, 

anyone who says there is no difference is full of it. 

has no clue, or has never made the jump, talking about what they have read by other forum idiots....

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I have quite a few VMs running in my PC from time to time so Hyper threading was a must for me. Hence my reason for 32GB of ram too. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I got my i7 so I could read more threads like this. On another point...rarely do "reviewers" benchmark CPUs in games, so we don't always see the benefit. I don't understand why some members on this forum don't think gamers can also be tech enthusiasts. All gamers don't have to build budget rigs. I bought a 7.2 surround sound instead of a 5.1 setup. The 5.1 would be just fine, but why not, right? Why do we drive instead of walking? Why did I order lobster instead of chicken? Why watercool when stock cooling works just fine? I hope you enjoy your i5.

@Vacsol

That is soo true! Couldn´t be more with you on that topic!

i5 or i7 is for the most people a budget question, nothing more nothing less. When people have the money they usually buy the i7.

From what I see so far there are many youngsters in this forum that have more or less a tight budget. And this is quite normal. But many (not all !) read reviews or watch benchmark videos on youtube and think they know all about hardware. But this is the same with many things in life... the older you get the more expirience you gather. And to have the own opinion is important, but not if you have never seen the other side. I see things like that lately a lot happen in the GPU and watercooling sub forums. AMD vs. nVidia... people that can hardly afford highend GPUs fight about the quality of the highend GPUs and by the end of thr day they own a med/low end card... kind of embarassing. And theory crafting about watercooling is nice... but there´s actually a huge difference in between theory and reality.

Intel vs. AMD isn´t just that much of a topic in CPUs just because there´s no arguing what ´s better in the highend segment (if you want some more proof just look in the GPU forums in the Valley Benchmark thread. There IS no AMD CPU in the top 50).

It´s just getting annoying when these folks start giving others advice in what to buy, and even when you prove them wrong they insist on their opinion...

Don´t get me wrong youngsters here, I don´t say that as something general here that everybody is the same. No there are a lot kids here that know what the deal is, but the others should really accept the place where they´re at and give it some time and come back with more than just an opinion on a subject but also having hard facts. It´s important to have a big variety of people in forum but these flame wars lately in some sub forums are annoying.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I am an engineer and one of the perks is access to several thousand dollars worth of software licenses for modeling and analysis. I use an i7 because it performs noticeably better with these types of programs. 

I do a lot of 3D modeling and analysis of personal projects, for this application an i7 >>>>> i5, so I paid the extra $ for it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3D rendering, video editing, stuff like that.

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

i dont know just said go big or go home yo.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount