"Android Overtakes iOS in Usage Stats for the First Time Ever"

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/08/03/android-overtakes-ios-in-usage-stats-for-the-first-time-ever/

The latest data from Net Applications show that smartphones and tablets powered by Android were used more than iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches powered by iOS this July. While iOS usage dipped from 45.61% in June to 44.19%, Android’s increased from 43.75% to 44.62%.

Woo, great win for Android. Ya it's not above by much, but above is above. Honestly though, Android deserves it, because (IMO) it is a great mobile operating system. It's not really locked down, has a huge selection of apps, and there's a wide range of devices ranging from cheap to pricey and everything in between.

Just saying, but the funny thing about this is that literally just a week or 2 ago I was having a "heated discussion" with somebody, and I mentioned how Android was less than 2% behind iOS and that it's also growing faster. Well look at that, Android has finally surpassed iOS. Oh the next "heated discussion" we have will be tons of fun.

screen-shot-2014-08-01-at-9-21-48-am.png

COMIC SANS

Sounds awesome! Good times for Android. Google is one step closer to controlling the world  :lol:

Roses are red, violets are blue, computers are awesome, and so are you!

This only goes to show how good Apple's smartphones and tablets are though, the amount of android devices on the market in comparison absolutely dwarfs the Apple lineup.

#MotoGMasterRace!!!

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This only goes to show how good Apple's smartphones and tablets are though, the amount of android devices on the market in comparison absolutely dwarfs the Apple lineup.

IMO all of those Apple devices sold from 2007 and on were because they (quite frankly) had the better product until Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich came out. So that gave Apple a huge leap in sales.

COMIC SANS

probably because it only takes US in account, since the company that made this chart is based in palo alto, CA, and if it truly is then is a major accomplish to android by overtaking the biggest market in the world

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It's hard to believe that Android is an Linux distribution, which is otherwise the most rarely used OS in the world.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

which is otherwise the most rarely used OS in the world.

*On consumer desktops and laptops

COMIC SANS

IMO all of those Apple devices sold from 2007 and on were because they (quite frankly) had the better product until Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich came out. So that gave Apple a huge leap in sales.

I'd even extend that to Jelly Bean, that was when the responsiveness improvement was most noticeable and scrolling felt snappy liks iOS for the first time.

I remember when the iPhone 3GS came out, the browser scrolled like butter even then and android was a real dog.

It's hard to believe that Android is an Linux distribution, which is otherwise the most rarely used OS in the world.

even though it is, its nothing like it, they just grabbed the kernel and made it what it is, i'm no dev but i'm sure making a native linux app and an android app on the NDK are completely different beast 

*On consumer desktops and laptops

I should have added that. Most web servers run Linux.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I'm glad it is, it helps when trying to convince others that Linux doesn't suck.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

I think this was expected, it was just a matter of when - the pricing model of Android-based products is more segmented and flexible in comparison to Apple and iOS devices. We're due for the release of flagship devices from both sides soon, so expect to see some movements in these figures?

We run Linux on our registers at Hollister lol

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

and like 95% of supercomputers are on Linux,

and my HOME PC runs Linux, my work PC runs Linux too :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.