How do I play FLAC files?

Trail Mixorz

Personally I think people exaggerate when they say it takes up a lot of space. 10MBs per song really isn't that much when hard drives have so much space now. 

The song I used as an example is 30mb, and as a person with a 50,000+ song library....

I see the differences (Sorta, refer to not wearing contacts maymay)

But I can not hear the difference with my $500 headphones, and I can hear the rock thats stuck in my driver side rear tire while driving. (Have yet to pull out) 

yeah! probably get some rest for now, as for the hearing , maybe you're tuned a bit differently, also there a bit of psychology involved , those grew up in noisy enviorments tend to avoid details & is imprinted in subconcious also the cerebellum (brain thingy :P) devolops differently (even after a year of continuous patern) like finely tuned audio spacial hearing meaning the depth in the things you hear is tailored around it once the brain is devoloped around this it's kind a fixed this is where the difference happen & you hear people say they hear things no different except the "loudness" increase instead of how rich or detailed the source (analogue as in real surroundings or digital in digital converted/processed enviornment), it's  crazy subject but fun to read through, go through some of it online when you get the time do a research , you'll have fun ..

it's kinda like eye sight issues, now everyone see's the same, same with hearing , that's the most simplistic form i can explain it on one line.

Details separate people.

The song I used as an example is 30mb, and as a person with a 50,000+ song library....

Well that's kind of extreme. Most people don't have that many songs. I probably have like 1500 songs in mine. 

i dont know what is going on, but almost my songs are FLAC, and i can hear the difference between 320kbps and FLAC, but is it really better? depends on setup, but for me its HUGE

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

i dont know what is going on, but almost my songs are FLAC, and i can hear the difference between 320kbps and FLAC, but is it really better? depends on setup, but for me its HUGE

I've listened to songs with 1500 bitrates and ones with 320 in flac / mp3 etc. The huge bitrate 80 MegaByte files sound almost identical.  There is a tiny difference IMO, but not one big enough to justify using 3-10x the HDD space.  I wouldn't say there's a "HUGE" difference in any sense. 

Then again maybe there's something your HD380 / m50 do that my LCD-2's don't do.  (not trying to sound superior or something, as I have never heard your setup)

If the bigger flac / or whatever file is the same price (freeee) as the mp3 lower bitrate I would have no problem purchasing it / downloading it for free, but if I was "cramped" for HDD space I definitely wouldn't bother.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I've listened to songs with 1500 bitrates and ones with 320 in flac / mp3 etc. The huge bitrate 80 MegaByte files sound almost identical.  There is a tiny difference IMO, but not one big enough to justify using 3-10x the HDD space.  I wouldn't say there's a "HUGE" difference in any sense. 

Then again maybe there's something your HD380 / m50 do that my LCD-2's don't do.  (not trying to sound superior or something, as I have never heard your setup)

If the bigger flac / or whatever file is the same price (freeee) as the mp3 lower bitrate I would have no problem purchasing it / downloading it for free, but if I was "cramped" for HDD space I definitely wouldn't bother.

i actually have a beyer DT880, its quite microscopic, and imo mp3 is good enough, but in the end if i listen carefully, the difference is quite distinctive.

or maybe, the way you perceive 'better' in audio is different from me? (i rate audio based of transparency, grainless, fidelity.. )

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

I really don't understand why people even bother to talk about their experiences with mp3 vs FLAC without a proper abx or blind test. You're wasting everybody's time.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I really don't understand why people even bother to talk about their experiences with mp3 vs FLAC without a proper abx or blind test. You're wasting everybody's time.

I really hate the mp3 vs FLAC argument because I have enough space where it doesn't matter if my whole library is FLAC or even wavs

Obviously we hit it off right away.

God that was a year ago...

Gotta catch all the qualities. 

I really hate the mp3 vs FLAC argument because I have enough space where it doesn't matter if my whole library is FLAC or even wavs

Same here, if it's the same price (or free) and it's available in flac or mp3, I'll get flac "just to have it"

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

FLAC is for archiving, that's it's only job, I have the space for it so I don't see a reason to not have the best quality I could possibly get on my desktop PC.  To me, compressed music formats like mp3 only matter for on the go now.  And seeing as how the outside world really drowns out alot of the quality differences anyway, I get away with a phone full of 96kbps OGG.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

The differences half these people "hear" is most likely due to a completely different version of the song, remastered / mastered by someone else, recorded in a different studio etc, not because of bitrate or flac/mp3.

Yeah alot of people don't get this, if i "downmix" a 24/192 file to 300ish aac. It sounds just as good. I can't tell the diff from "hi-fi" 24 bit files from aac. mp3 i can hear diff in bass/higher sounds. but aac? naaaa aac ftw

"Remastered"

eayDYhp.png

fY803bS.png

Not all audio-files are the same and can be VERY diff 

Not to beat a long dead horse. But machines that can hear infinitely more then the human ear can, struggle to make a difference. 

I'm not stopping you from listening how you please, just informing you. 

Machines are far from the best real world scenario, mind you. We haven't gotten to the point of widespread availability of high-end prosthetic ears or hearing aids as it stands.

If anything, I like how my flacs don't tend to have this harsh peak of the highs that tend to plague some of my mp3s.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Machines are far from the best real world scenario, mind you. We haven't gotten to the point of widespread availability of high-end prosthetic ears or hearing aids as it stands.

If anything, I like how my flacs don't tend to have this harsh peak of the highs that tend to plague some of my mp3s.

These machines are not portable, nor designed to be, you can't compare even the most advanced hearing aid to these machines. Nor are these machines designed for playback or to run off a battery. 

I like how my flacs don't tend to have this harsh peak of the highs that tend to plague some of my mp3s.

post-2468-0-21579400-1396456269.gif

post-2468-0-21579400-1396456269.gif