To everybody who has given me hard drive advice, read this.

Speedbird

Hi.

I have posted some threads in the New Builds section and at least one person has said something like this on every single one of them

"Don't use the WD Green, go with Blue."

That advice would be good for most people, but not for me. See, the thing is, I bought one by mistake a few weeks ago. I was upgrading my current system and thought that I'd replace the hard drive. I decided to try the Green series, since it looked good. Except I missed one part: it's 5400 rpm. When I noticed that, I had already ordered it. Since I didn't want to downgrade, I left the drive in the drawer below my desk. It's waiting to be used in my build, and it will save me 50 euros. I also don't use a lot of disk space (currently my C: drive has about 120GB used, out of 450) that's why my builds will always have a 250GB SSD.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Did this really need to  be a topic? This isn't a chat room.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Don't use a WD Blue,use a Seagate Barracuda.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

i killed 4 wd greens in last year just so you know.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

That's why it's classed as a 'green' drive, much lower power consumption and also a lower heat output. Green drives are used for long term file storage..

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

The hell is the point of this...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Don't use a WD Blue,use a Seagate Barracuda.

Dem failure rates.

And this is a thread because... You could just tell people this on the threads that they've replied to you saying that.

i'm a potato

Pointless thread.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

For real? arent they supposed to last longer because of reduced speed & lower contact & power consumption?

Details separate people.

Dem failure rates.

Dem they're still in business and mine has lasted me almost 8 years.

For real? arent they supposed to last longer because of reduced speed & lower contact & power consumption?

Every drive can die. And the usage will affect it.

i'm a potato

Dem they're still in business and mine has lasted me almost 8 years.

So are my Hitachi and Toshiba drives from 6-8 years ago. Point invalid, luck of the draw.

Got really tired of writing the same thing over and over again every time I ask for build advice. Now I can link people to this and tell them that I have a spare WD Green. And isn't Off Topic full of other pointless threads?

That's why it's classed as a 'green' drive, much lower power consumption and also a lower heat output. Green drives are used for long term file storage..

if that long term is being 4 months ,yes 

Bad sectors everywhere they intent to fuck up with constant write,read load the original drive was a boot drive died in 2 months,got a replacement, died in 3.5 months ,bought another one and that died in a month currently have one that is about to die so no just because they run slower doesnt mean they will last longer.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Got really tired of writing the same thing over and over again every time I ask for build advice. Now I can link people to this and tell them that I have a spare WD Green. And isn't Off Topic full of other pointless threads?

No, this is just stupid. You shouldn't have more than one thread about your build. Say it once then just say read above if they ask again. This is stupid, pointless and you should feel bad.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Here's a funny story, sorta.

So I had a desktop with 1 TB Hitachi drive, okay? Now, it was unstable. About 5 minutes after boot, it would be really slow. Programs would crash, Windows would crash, CPU usage went to 60% etc etc. Found out that it has a bad sector. So I replaced it with a WD Blue. A moth later, I boot from a Linux Live DVD to format a USB stick (The MBR had some problems and Windows couldn't do it). I opened GParted and it opens up my hard disk first. I notice a red ! next to /dev/sda1. I click on it. Guess what? Bad sector again.

^

green blooded murder 

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

No, this is just stupid. You shouldn't have more than one thread about your build. Say it once then just say read above if they ask again. This is stupid, pointless and you should feel bad.

I end up among several changed to my build. Sometimes they're pretty big (like moving from Intel to AMD) and I make a new thread about it.

I end up among several changed to my build. Sometimes they're pretty big (like moving from Intel to AMD) and I make a new thread about it.

Which is pointless. You make the people who are helping you go to a new thread. I hate when people do this because it is POINTLESS. You can make two threads IMO. 

1st: Post build and get suggestions.

2nd: right before you're about to buy, post once more. 

Dem failure rates.

What failure rates?

I've had a Barracuda for about 10 years and it's still working.I switched to another one cause it was low capacity.

Every drive can fail.It's just luck.

Still,a WD Black is better than anything else.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

What failure rates?

I've had a Barracuda for about 10 years and it's still working.I switched to another one cause it was low capacity.

Same here. Got a 160GB 7200.7 in my home server (formerly gaming PC).