When someone sends something from U.S to Canada....

Luke

Are you supposed to receive a tracking number from USPS? I bought something from someone recently and the person said "The closest thing to a tracking number is the customs number, I'll post it later."

Still hasn't posted it....

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

In Australia it depends if the sender payed for tracking i dont know if its the same there or not but if it is thats obviously why u didnt get one and im sure it will still come where did u buy from?

When I got something from the states via USPS I got a tracking number...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

AFAIK it depends on the level of service you choose, I have both sent and received international parcels, some carriers offer tracked services for a higher price, some do not.

The existence of this page says to me that it can be done with that carrier.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction!input.action

Hmm thanks. I just shipped from Canada to the U.S and i didn't get the choice for no tracking, it just comes on the receipt. Also when i enter the tracking number is brings me to USPS website.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

@Askew i edited my last post. I didn't word it properly.

Hmm thanks. I just shipped from Canada to the U.S and i didn't get the choice for no tracking, it just comes on the receipt. Also when i enter the tracking number is brings me to USPS website.

I believe that when a purchasable service is available you get 'point to point' tracking, such as when it's at a depot, where the depot is, what country it's in etc, but with the regular level perhaps you just get to see when it's been sent, and when it has arrived.

When you sent it out what points of the journey appeared on the tracking? Maybe they don't offer a purchasable point to point service because a third party is used part of the way and doesnt use the same tracking infastructure?

IDK I'm just guessing now.

I believe that when a purchasable service is available you get 'point to point' tracking, such as when it's at a depot, where the depot is, what country it's in etc, but with the regular level perhaps you just get to see when it's been sent, and when it has arrived.

When you sent it out what points of the journey appeared on the tracking? Maybe they don't offer a purchasable point to point service because a third party is used part of the way and doesnt use the same tracking infastructure?

IDK I'm just guessing now.

I just sent it today so it just says "item received at post office" or something. That at least provides the seller proof that i shipped the item though. I don't even have any confirmation from the guy that the item i bought has been shipped, that's the only thing that annoys me.

I just sent it today so it just says "item received at post office" or something. That at least provides the seller proof that i shipped the item though. I don't even have any confirmation from the guy that the item i bought has been shipped, that's the only thing that annoys me.

Well if you know where that info should be on the receipt he will have, tell him where to find it and ask can he relay it to you.

Well if you know where that info should be on the receipt he will have, tell him where to find it and ask can he relay it to you.

Aight will do. Thx for the help.

I still got tracking info when I ordered stuff from Japan and China. I don't see why it should be drastically different with a neighbor country.

Are you supposed to receive a tracking number from USPS? I bought something from someone recently and the person said "The closest thing to a tracking number is the customs number, I'll post it later."

Still hasn't posted it....

AFAIK it depends on the level of service you choose, I have both sent and received international parcels, some carriers offer tracked services for a higher price, some do not.

The existence of this page says to me that it can be done with that carrier.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction!input.action

@Askew has it spot on. It entirely depends on the service they purchase. There are multiple services to choose from, some of which come with tracking, some do not. If it's priority or express mail, there will be a tracking number. This number can be tracked on USPS.com while it's in the US, and then you can track the same number on Canadapost.ca once it crosses into Canada. In some cases, Canadapost.ca will track the package for the entire trip - even before it crosses the boarder.

Either that person is clueless about shipping stuff and just doesn't know where to look to find the tracking number, or he purchased a service which doesn't include tracking.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)