Why does Valve think its ok to rank (and log) the links I click on for their "badness"? Why cant I disable it?

tL4NHsb.png

It is NOT simple A/B testing either. Certain domains get the red page, the rest get the yellow one.

They do this because they wan't to protect their users. Why would you want to disable it?

One of those questions that only gaben can answer.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Umm... Don't use the built in browser?

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Well its 4chan dude.

do you expect it to be a children friendly site.

that's blatant discrimination (probably just whitelisted)

/pol/ is SFW

Error: 410

Umm... Don't use the built in browser?

This comes up whenever you click a link in the steam chat. It has nothing to do with the steam browser.

Well its 4chan dude.

do you expect it to be a children friendly site.

Why does it matter what website it is? Are you unable to think?

They are looking at, and logging every link you click on. Why is it up to valve to tell me what I should and shouldnt click?

that's blatant discrimination

/pol/ is SFW

It doesnt matter what is SFW and what isnt SFW. Reddit gonewild doesnt come up in red. That is 100% NSFW.

that's blatant discrimination (probably just whitelisted)

/pol/ is SFW

Its a private company that isn't blocking access, but warning you if a site is known to have questionable content.

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

Scammers. That's the only answer to the question at hand. Scammers mostly operate by getting people to enter their information into a phishing site. Valve lacks the resources to maintain an active database like Google does, so the reason why one site has a red warning banner and another doesn't is because the domain for that website listed in red was reported as part of a previous scam.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

It doesnt matter what is SFW and what isnt SFW. Reddit gonewild doesnt come up in red. That is 100% NSFW.

idk, I guess leddit (subreddits are ignored) is an "offocial" valve approved site

why care? I probably wouldn't even spend the time reading it if I know where I'm going since I have to click that either way.

Its a private company that isn't blocking access, but warning you if a site is known to have questionable content.

that's not what it says.

Error: 410

Scammers. That's the only answer to the question at hand. Scammers mostly operate by getting people to enter their information into a phishing site. Valve lacks the resources to maintain an active database like Google does, so the reason why one site has a red warning banner and another doesn't is because the domain for that website listed in red was reported as part of a previous scam.

Source?

So its Ok to log and rank every link I clock on then? Imagine if EA was doing this.

NSA Collects metadata and everyone goes insane.

Valve logs and ranks every link you click on and nobody cares.

Source?

So its Ok to log and rank every link I clock on then? Imagine if EA was doing this.

I'm not going to go dig around the internet for a source for something that is common sense and common knowledge. Any and all actions Valve has ever taken to "warn" people against anything has to do with scamming or cheating. They also largely depend on reports from users in order to catch those scams.

These warnings do not hurt you or the website they are for in any way. You should never be clicking on any link that you don't trust 100%, so your judgement can supercede any warning Valve gives you. Instead of asking "imagine if EA was doing this?" you should be asking "imagine if Valve wasn't doing this?".

If Valve wasn't doing something to warn people when they click on links, other people would be complaining that Valve is not doing enough to protect their customers against scammers. Anyone who falls for a phishing website is 100% at fault for being duped, but Valve is at least trying to protect them from themselves by saying "Hey! Stop and think for a second before following that link.".

The answer to your question for a "source" is right there in the warning for the "red" website. This is not an official STEAM site, and may be impersonating one", which, just like I said, means the domain for that site was reported in a scam attempt.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

Just for you we're going to create a warning pop up whenever 4chan links are posted on this site.

It will be bright purple.

http://www.4chan.org/

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Just for you we're going to create a warning pop up whenever 4chan links are posted on this site.

It will be bright purple.

Its not the fact that 4chan is red, but the fact that valve thinks thye need to rank/score websites on their badness. I only read 4chan for my unbiased news.

I'm not going to go dig around the internet for a source for something that is common sense and common knowledge. Any and all actions Valve has ever taken to "warn" people against anything has to do with scamming or cheating. They also largely depend on reports from users in order to catch those scams.

These warnings do not hurt you or the website they are for in any way. You should never be clicking on any link that you don't trust 100%, so your judgement can supercede any warning Valve gives you. Instead of asking "imagine if EA was doing this?" you should be asking "imagine if Valve wasn't doing this?".

If Valve wasn't doing something to warn people when they click on links, other people would be complaining that Valve is not doing enough to protect their customers against scammers. Anyone who falls for a phishing website is 100% at fault for being duped, but Valve is at least trying to protect them from themselves by saying "Hey! Stop and think for a second before following that link.".

The answer to your question for a "source" is right there in the warning for the "red" website. This is not an official STEAM site, and may be impersonating one", which, just like I said, means the domain for that site was reported in a scam attempt.

"I'm not going to go dig around the internet for a source for something that is common sense and common knowledge" AKA "I just made it up"

There is no proof/sources that say that what you have posted is true. How would 4chan be involved in a scam? Its a messageboard. its domain is nothing like any of steams.

It is the fault of the idiots that click these links and add people they dont know to their friends list for getting scammed. Even if sites were used in the past for scams putting certain sites in red isnt going to be any more effective is it? I would put money on the fact that people click the button in less than 2 seconds anyway.

Its not the fact that 4chan is red, but the fact that valve thinks thye need to rank/score websites on their badness. I only read 4chan for my unbiased news.

"I'm not going to go dig around the internet for a source for something that is common sense and common knowledge" AKA "I just made it up"

There is no proof/sources that say that what you have posted is true. How would 4chan be involved in a scam? Its a messageboard. its domain is nothing like any of steams.

It is the fault of the idiots that click these links and add people they dont know to their friends list for getting scammed. Even if sites were used in the past for scams putting certain sites in red isnt going to be any more effective is it? I would put money on the fact that people click the button in less than 2 seconds anyway.

No, me not wanting to waste my afternoon to prove something to your satisfaction does not mean I made it up. I like how you glossed over the fact that I pointed out that the proof to that answer is right there in the "red" warning. That the site "may be impersonating" a STEAM site. I can tell you exactly how 4chan can be involved in a scam. You have a trade posted and someone PM's with "Hey, I want to buy everything you have for trade, but need to do it through my website", which is exactly the type of messages trade scammers use. Another one is, "My friend wants to buy everything you have, but he can't PM you for some reason, come to this site instead".

So the person follows the link to 4chan where the person has posted a disguised link. The post on 4chan follows along with everything the scammer told the person in the PM and the person clicks on the link on 4chan that is disguised to look like an official site. They get to that site and it's a near perfect copy of a legit site, so the person goes to "login via STEAM" and bam, the scammer has their login info. After that person realizes they've been scammed, they report the incident to Valve. Valve reviews the PM chat and sees the initial link had the domain of 4chan.org. Valve gets enough reports like that and 4chan.org gets the red banner in it's warning.

I really don't see why you are so offended by this. Valve is helping to protect people who don't know any better from scammers. Yes it's their fault, but every time Valve support has to deal with an account or item recovery issue due to a scam, that just adds to the already long wait times for all Valve support requests. The more they can do to limit those requests, the better things are for everyone.

They're not logging what links you click, they have a list of "trusted sites" and a list of "untrusted sites", and whenever a link goes to an untrusted site it gets marked differently from links to other sites.

They're not logging what links you click, they have a list of "trusted sites" and a list of "untrusted sites", and whenever a link goes to an untrusted site it gets marked differently from links to other sites.

Not exactly accurate. There are official Valve sites, almost all other sites, and sites that have been reported for some reason or another. 

Source?

NSA Collects metadata and everyone goes insane.

Valve logs and ranks every link you click on and nobody cares.

Yes, if you are linking through steam they have the right to add safeguards to their system.  it is a warning and doesn't block access

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

If you're bothered by it, use another chat platform. 

Double post.

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

It doesn't matter if the site was reported or not, and if you ever used a trading site for DOTA2 or csgo, you would know the first people that try to make an offer are scammers trying to lead you to a phishing site to hack your account, so they just warn you that the site you clicked is not a steamcommunity link so you don't fall for a scam, it's not necessarily that 4chan was involved in a scam, but it's not a steam link so they are telling you that you are leaving steam to make you think twice if you clicked on a fake link.

Sure it is the fault of the people that click the fake links, but valve is just trying to warn people of this issue, and trust me if you were into trading, you would understand why they do it, because sometimes the people that want to trade with you send you legit links.

Really I don't understand why this is such an issue, and if it is a big deal to you, don't use steam chat, there are plenty of other options to chat

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

Steam warning you about other sites,yes a lot phishing those days specialy if you using csgo lounge its better example,when you put your post about trade there you got 3-4 friend request on steam,who ordinary says ''hey i have friend who wanna trade,but he cant add you so here is link'' (spam of corse dont click) so i think personaly that is ok from steam to show those message to people because you can easily lost acc on that way