Moar Voltage or nuh

So I'm sitting at a stable 5.1GHz overclock at 1.58v and temps are 58C. Moar volts for more giggahertz or nuh

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

WTF?

Are you phase change cooling or something?

What are you using to monitor temps?

BTW your CPU's lifespan is extremely reduced at that voltage. I would not expect it to last more than a year.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1.58 volts?!

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

WTF?

Are you phase change cooling or something?

What are you using to monitor temps?

BTW your CPU's lifespan is extremely reduced at that voltage. I would not expect it to last more than a year.

Stock Crosshair heatsinks lol and its only for benchmarking

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

1.58 volts?!

Yup hehe

Stock Crosshair heatsinks lol and its only for benchmarking

1) I have no idea what a Crossair heatsink is.

2) if you mean the stock intel heatsink you are looking AT THE WRONG TEMPERATURE

there is no possible way your CPU is at 1.6v and only 60C it is impossible.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1) I have no idea what a Crossair heatsink is.

2) if you mean the stock intel heatsink you are looking AT THE WRONG TEMPERATURE

there is no possible way your CPU is at 1.6v and only 60C it is impossible.

the vrm heatsinks on my crosshair v formula z and my 8350 is under water

the vrm heatsinks on my crosshair v formula z and my 8350 is under water

You might be looking at socket temp instead of core temp.

Spoiler

You might be looking at socket temp instead of core temp.

socket temp is 60C, cores are at 58C

socket temp is 60C, cores are at 58C

Well it seems like you got one of the AMD cpus with the defective temperature sensor.

You should probably buy a new CPU now, or use an external temp sensor. It is very common in AMD cpus to have a malfunctioning temp sensor.

Spoiler

Well it seems like you got one of the AMD cpus with the defective temperature sensor.

You should probably buy a new CPU now, or use an external temp sensor. It is very common in AMD cpus to have a malfunctioning temp sensor.

ive used 3 different programs AND AMD overdrive, the temps are correct, when i used my h100i temps werein the 70's

1.50 volts is the most I would recommend for a 24/7 use. 1.55 is the most recommended by AMD. I have only done 1.600 volts for benchmarks.

I also have a custom loop and at 1.600V I was seeing almost 80C on core temps with 16F ambient temps. Also 5.1Ghz at 1.58 volts is actually bad. I'm able to do 5.330Ghz at 1.6V and 5.145Ghz at 1.520V.

Run Cinebench R15 at 5.1Ghz at 1.58 volts and see what score you get. That will tell if it is throttling.

1.50 volts is the most I would recommend for a 24/7 use. 1.55 is the most recommended by AMD. I have only done 1.600 volts for benchmarks.

I also have a custom loop and at 1.600V I was seeing almost 80C on core temps with 16F ambient temps. Also 5.1Ghz at 1.58 volts is actually bad. I'm able to do 5.330Ghz at 1.6V and 5.145Ghz at 1.520V.

Run Cinebench R15 at 5.1Ghz at 1.58 volts and see what score you get. That will tell if it is throttling.

meep

ive used 3 different programs AND AMD overdrive, the temps are correct, when i used my h100i temps werein the 70's

All temperature monitoring programs will give you the same temp because they all read off the CPU sensor.

If you used corsair link and it said "h100i temp" 70C that is REALLY BAD.

H100i temp is the temp of the coolant. Coolant temp should always be at about 30-40C at load, never more. If your coolant temp was 70C that probably means your CPU was way above that, at about 100-120C.

You should probably know how to monitor your temperatures before overclocking a CPU. It has probably been permanently damaged already though, nothing you can do about that.

Spoiler

All temperature monitoring programs will give you the same temp because they all read off the CPU sensor.

If you used corsair link and it said "h100i temp" 70C that is REALLY BAD.

H100i temp is the temp of the coolant. Coolant temp should always be at about 30-40C at load, never more. If your coolant temp was 70C that probably means your CPU was way above that, at about 100-120C.

You should probably know how to monitor your temperatures before overclocking a CPU.

no i didnt use link to monitor the temp. my temps are fine, feeling the rad it is warm to the touch, not scorching like at 70C