New build software and uefi tips

Altaren

Today ill be picking up the last parts needed for my new pc. After i build it, what software do you recommend i should use?

After installing windows 8.1 i will use ninite for the basic stuff, i am also familiar with and will use msi afterburner and hwmonitor.

Does anyone use the bundled msi software like control centre and live update? Would like to hear thoughts on those.

Samsung 840 EVO as my boot drive. I heard the software suite that comes with this SSD is pretty good, anyone got experience with it?

The graphics card apparently has dual bios. Has anyone tested this? I imagine the uefi is for overclocking and if something goes wrong i switch to the legacy bios? Is that basically it?

Ive been using nvidia so any tips for using amd drivers in general would also be appreciated.

I think thats all, sorry for the messy post but this what ive been wondering about while waiting for the parts ... yes it has been awful.

One more thing, does anyone know of a software trick or a free program where i could bind a key to mute my microphone. Been testing MicMute but its not good, at least not on my current old pc. The mic im using has a physical switch but i dont want to use it since its loud and i broke the switch on my previous mic.

Thanks for the read

Specs:

i5 4690

msi h97 gaming 3

g.skill 8gb cl9 1600

msi r9 280x

Samsung 840 evo 250gb

cm g550m

Edit: cut the answered questions to make the post shorter.

So many questions :) I can't answer nearly all but lets try.

is there other bios tweaks i should read about and maybe change? I have 1600/cl9 ram so no need for XMP, right?

Boot order is most important thing in BIOS to change. Some other things you should look are modes for SATA, warning and shutdown temps. Then there is some misc stuff that are really personal preference. You don't need XMP, Z97 will run ram 1600MHz as stock.

How necessary would it be to update my bios?

For mobo it usually isn't worth it unless you have problems. Like some features/software don't work. If you haven't updated BIOS before, read MSI's guides carefully before.

I don't know about GPUs. I didn't know they have the option between UEFI and legacy or even dualBIOS. For me UEFI means just some fancy look for BIOS interface.

I've bind mute for mic in each software separetly, or rather use push-to-talk.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So many questions :) I can't answer nearly all but lets try.

Boot order is most important thing in BIOS to change. Some other things you should look are modes for SATA, warning and shutdown temps. Then there is some misc stuff that are really personal preference. You don't need XMP, Z97 will run ram 1600MHz as stock.

For mobo it usually isn't worth it unless you have problems. Like some features/software don't work. If you haven't updated BIOS before, read MSI's guides carefully before.

I don't know about GPUs. I didn't know they have the option between UEFI and legacy or even dualBIOS. For me UEFI means just some fancy look for BIOS interface.

I've bind mute for mic in each software separetly, or rather use push-to-talk.

Yeah i just threw out all the questions that i sort of want answered. I think i have a pretty decent knowladge for a non techie, however that means i have random holes in what would be basic knowladge for someone. Thanks, ill edit out the answered questions to make the post look nicer.

The mic mute bind i need for steam voice chat, i dont think it has a pust to talk option so i found it easiest to just mute the mic instead of dropping the call. Worked nice with my previous mic that had a nice and silent switch, but it was flimsy and broke off.