Stopping anti-piracy with a watermark, which can remember your account details.

MotorBenzer

*Sorry. Stopping piracy not anit-piracy*Hey Guys. First post on a forum ever. Australia has now developed a way to trace pirated matertial that can record you IP, transmission time and even you're credit card and bank details. I found this on my local web news and I thought I should share it. It is from The Age newspaper from yahoo.com.au http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/tamperproof-watermark-threatens-to-put-digital-pirates-out-to-sea-20140717-zti0s.html

So I'm probably answering my own question, but this wouldn't apply to already released software, right?

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Stopping anti-piracy?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

two things:

1.  all DRM can be removed and probably will eventually.

2. It is illegal in Australia to record credit card information without the explicit consent of the credit card holder.  Privacy laws also prevent identifying information from being collected without consent.

This may well fall in a heap just like Sony's last attempt at secretly installing DRM software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If MORE things were released worldwide (Like British series: QI (Quite Interesting), I may not mind buying DVDs (or blu-ray) for them, but when I'd have to import the DVDs and a new player JUST to play some DVD's of something I want to watch? ANNOYING . . . .

They will find a way around this lol.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

2. It is illegal in Australia to record credit card information without the explicit consent of the credit card holder.  Privacy laws also prevent identifying information from being collected without consent.

Psh if only it was that easy to stop any government

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Aww snap 1 more post for 1k :P

I am all for trying to stop piracy... But tracking credit card and bank info seems worse than the piracy itself. 

The tax office is allowed to because we have stupid tax laws in Aus. however the rules are quite strict for private entities.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you want to stop piracy, just offer a good product at a good price. Every "anti-piracy" measure will get cracked. Always.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

It is only meta-data.. That can be stripped away easy enough..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Aww snap 1 more post for 1k :P

I am all for trying to stop piracy... But tracking credit card and bank info seems worse than the piracy itself. 

Let's see how long I can go without-

Ah crap...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

If MORE things were released worldwide (Like British series: QI (Quite Interesting), I may not mind buying DVDs (or blu-ray) for them, but when I'd have to import the DVDs and a new player JUST to play some DVD's of something I want to watch? ANNOYING . . . .

Region restrictions on BDs and DVDs are not enforced by anything other than the software that's reading the disk refusing to play a disk from another region.

If you're using free software, like VLC, you don't have to deal with these restrictions.

if it can record currency transactions, then all crackers need to do is to crack the watermark. afterwards, they would have access to the owner's personal life. it does deter the original owner from "sharing" the files, but digital files could be stolen and with this watermark, information could be stolen much easier.

if it can record currency transactions, then all crackers need to do is to crack the watermark. afterwards, they would have access to the owner's personal life. it does deter the original owner from "sharing" the files, but digital files could be stolen and with this watermark, information could be stolen much easier.

or spoofed to incriminate someone intentionally.  I can think of some very bad things the movie industry might attempt with this technology.

Let's see how long I can go without-

Ah crap...

I wonder how long I can go before 12,040...

Nevermind.

But you know people are gonna get around this.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

*Sorry. Stopping piracy not anit-piracy*Hey Guys. First post on a forum ever. Australia has now developed a way to trace pirated matertial that can record you IP, transmission time and even you're credit card and bank details. I found this on my local web news and I thought I should share it. It is from The Age newspaper from yahoo.com.au http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/tamperproof-watermark-threatens-to-put-digital-pirates-out-to-sea-20140717-zti0s.html

So.... Some people are paying to download pirate content? Huh?

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Some people do strange things. :)

So I'm probably answering my own question, but this wouldn't apply to already released software, right?

l wouldn't think so.

Emuparadise has a membership service for faster downloads, and flash carts cost money.

Backwards world we live in.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

This sounds dodgy to me. so its "legal" spyware???... wont happen its illegal.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I can tell this isn't going to last long. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Hmm... DRM that can collect my credit card info as well as other very pirate stuff?
Yeah... I think I will pirate a version which doesn't include this bullshit. Thanks DRM companies for yet again scaring me away from actually buying products. I think my money is better spent at a store that understands me, like Good Old Games.

Paying to pirate stuff? I have no idea who could do such a thing. It sounds really bizarre to me.

*cough* *cough*

post-216-0-13255900-1405898950.jpg

I'd be more scared of these techniques being used by people who share the files in the first place to steal bank account info.